Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott to Flames for 35th Overall + Conditional 3rd in 2018 (if he resigns)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Even if we don't resign him I'm happy with the price we paid. If it doesn't work out, it's meh. It would suck to lose #35 in that case, but getting lucky at #6 makes it less of a hit missing that pick

The #35 pick gets you Hunter Smith maybe Morgan Klimchuk in this draft. Slim to none chance of ever playing in the NHL. (especially with T Button running the draft)

It's a very good deal in both assets and cap space for the upcoming year.

If he doesnt work out, no loss

If he plays well, we have room to extend him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Here's what interests me most, how many games is he going to play? I'm not convinced we are done acquiring a goalie. But this does buy Treliving time.

What I interpret is that Treliving sent a strong message that he wasn't overpaying for someone. So if Fleury and Bishop's price tag was really steep, maybe as the season progresses that gets revisited as the pricing on these guys drops and expansion draft has a bigger impact. Treliving paid a modest price for a really good netminder. But I still think you have to ask, if this guy playing 60+ games, how's he going to perform? I anticipate he will do quite well, but we don't have a definite answer to this yet and he's never played that much. Ortio is some insurance as well in a backup role, but now that we have Elliot, he's also a potential trade chip.

I do think Elliot will run with the starting job. But if he's meh, and were in a playoff hunt mid season, Treliving can still trade for Bishop for example and send Ortio out in that deal. Cap wouldn't be as big of an issue then either.

Sign Reimer and go with a Elliott / Reimer tandem?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I personally would like to see Ramo back up Elliot. He was playing well up to the injury after the tough start. But my guess is Ramo will go UFA and ortio will back up.

I agree with this. I liked Ramo overall - had the season you described. Still not sold on Ortio though he played better towards the end.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agree with this. I liked Ramo overall - had the season you described. Still not sold on Ortio though he played better towards the end.

Ramo is willing to come back for less than Elliot's 2.5M? I doubt it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As I said in the Armchair thread, sounds like Ramo won't be ready to go till November-ish. If Ortio falters in Camp and the early season then absolutely look at Ramo then.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think that Ortio has shown the skill to be a #1 goalie. He needs to be more consistent, but the tools are there. Giving up on him now would be silly. Obviously, I think Gillies is the guy long term. But Ortio has a chance.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Brian Elliott @KidElls1
Calgary, I'm honored to become a #Flames . I've wanted this opportunity and am ready for it. Can't wait to play for the #CofRed

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Kristen Odland @Kristen_Odland
Elliott said that he ran into Johnny Gaudreu when they were out for dinner one night after a game in Calgary.

Elliott: "He came up to me and was like, ‘Every time we play you and our coach says something about how to score on St. Louis goalies....

...you guys shut us out.”

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

On the other hand, Treliving's post-Elliott interview yesterday strongly implied they weren't done looking at goalies. Maybe it was just a reference to Parsons, but it seems like they're looking for an upgrade on Ortio.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Was high on my list. At first I was a little disappointed at giving up 35 just because of some of the players we could have had but I'm happy

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
As long as they don't go into October with 3 goalies on the roster.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Kristen Odland ‏@Kristen_Odland

Elliott: "A winning team goes a long way in that city. That’s what I’m there for and I want to get that started.”

Elliott: "I just want to try and create ... a winning atmosphere. Sometimes with younger teams, that gets lost a little bit.”

Elliott: "I want to make Calgary one of the toughest places to play.”

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Brian Elliott @KidElls1
Calgary, I'm honored to become a #Flames . I've wanted this opportunity and am ready for it. Can't wait to play for the #CofRed

200_s.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

On the other hand, Treliving's post-Elliott interview yesterday strongly implied they weren't done looking at goalies. Maybe it was just a reference to Parsons, but it seems like they're looking for an upgrade on Ortio.

Well, yeah. Basically Treliving is looking to rob the Avs of a Pickard or something. Doesn't mean it's likely we score a guy like that.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Man, I'm absolutely ecstatic about this deal. When I heard it announced on the radio, I was just floored. All we had to give up was one measly 2nd-round pick, and our goaltending issues are instantly solved.

It's funny that a 2nd-rounder would probably a fair deadline price for a goalie like Elliott, but we get him for a full year. Even if we don't re-sign him, the price is still fair. We can re-address goaltending next off-season if necessary, because we didn't go all-in this off-season.

I feel similarly.

Also, on another note, I wanted no part of Fleury whatsoever.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames have faced Brian Elliott 8 times since he started playing for the Blues in the 2011-1012 season.
Against the Flames he's had 2 shut-outs, a GAA of 1.375, and a SV% of 0.933. and a record of 7 wins and 1 loss.

Way to go Brad. Great deal!! :handclap:

moon*

So should have Ortio as a back up or do we still need to find another goalie?

Elliot is not a 60-70 games guy

I hope they don't get another back-up to go with Elliott for a couple of reasons.

1. He seems to have wanted out of St. Louis because of the 1a/b situation with him and Allen, bringing in a Reimer and Elliott is right back in that spot or Reimer is getting paid way too much to play ~20 games.

2. One of the big benefits of Elliott is his price tag that allows us to add pieces in other areas. Bringing in a goalie for 3 million + and all of a sudden we are paying big money for our goaltending without having a top guy like a Bishop or Fleury.

3. Playing time in the organization. Right now we are set up pretty good with the goalies in the org- Elliott/Ortio in Calgary, Gillies/Rattich in AHL, Schneider in ECHL, Parsons/McDonald in the CHL (McDonald could go to ECHL). Bringing in a new guy leaves not enough playing time for 1 or more guys.

I am not sold on Ortio as being anything more than a mediocre back-up/AHL guy but I think that Elliott should be able to handle 60 games and Ortio should get a shot at the other 20. If a guy like Hutton or Reimer wants to come in on the cheap then sure I would look at that but be clear that the role is as a back-up not a 1b situation. If that is the case I would look at sending Ortio to another team or Europe. No spot for him in the AHL with Gillies there in my view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad