Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott to Flames for 35th Overall + Conditional 3rd in 2018 (if he resigns)

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Having Elliot as goalie might get us back into the playoffs next season. Good move for the Flames. It's been a great draft day for the Flames.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
Glad that they went this route and picked up a stopgap +upside guy. With Andersen going to Toronto and the anticipated price tag for Bishop, both re cost of acquisition and the subsequent extension, I really wasn't overly eager about our options.

Seems like another great job by Treliving.

Also happy not to have to see "Flames interest in goalie X" everyday on the Trades board so that's a plus too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So should have Ortio as a back up or do we still need to find another goalie?

Elliot is not a 60-70 games guy

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Guessing they gauge the interest on Reimer. Reimer could split games with Elliot and then Gillies in 2 years or so.

This. Reimer's market is pretty soft right now. I could see a nice 1A/1B working out.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I personally would like to see Ramo back up Elliot. He was playing well up to the injury after the tough start. But my guess is Ramo will go UFA and ortio will back up.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving praised Ortio in his presser. Didn't guarantee anything but he did make it sound like Joni would be the guy. We need an RFA or goalie on a contract to expose anyway.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Flames had a great opening night at the draft. Im so glad they didn't overpay for Bishop or Bobovsky, and hey that Tkaczuk kid is pretty darn good also. Ortio and Bishop is a solid tandem moving forward, and should be enough to get into the playoffs barring a monumental disaster.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Flames had a great opening night at the draft. Im so glad they didn't overpay for Bishop or Bobovsky, and hey that Tkaczuk kid is pretty darn good also. Ortio and Bishop is a solid tandem moving forward, and should be enough to get into the playoffs barring a monumental disaster.

Good god, yes. Elliott is at least as good as, if not better than, Bobrovsky is. And he's not on an abortion of a contract.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I like this move a lot after seeing some Blue's fans input (thanks for that, unfortunately I have no word on the type of player the 35OV will be)

Should be a fantastic leader for the other young goalies in the organization Ortio, Gillies, McDonald, Schneider and there's no hard tightening the budget next season if our starter is being paid 2.5M while we wait out Wideman, Smid, Bollig, Raymond, (not including Engelland as we'll likely need to replace his contract with a similar one)

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I like this move a lot after seeing some Blue's fans input (thanks for that, unfortunately I have no word on the type of player the 35OV will be)

Should be a fantastic leader for the other young goalies in the organization Ortio, Gillies, McDonald, Schneider and there's no hard tightening the budget next season if our starter is being paid 2.5M while we wait out Wideman, Smid, Bollig, Raymond, (not including Engelland as we'll likely need to replace his contract with a similar one)

I mean even if Elliott stays only the 1 year, look at the youth waiting in the wings that will get that year of playing experience regardless. Ortio will be even better this year, and even Rittich is coming into camp looking to make the team. Lots to be excited about here folks.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really happy with this trade. 2nd year in a row I've left draft day feeling like a winner.

Glad they went with an established guy, stabilizes the position that has been **** since Kipper.

Anybody that watched the Blues in the playoffs knows this guy is worth more than 2.5 million.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hello flames fans, blues fans here who was never a big elliott fan and preferred allen over him.

you guys got a solid goalie but one who can be extremely inconsistent. He can go on a shutout streak for a few games and then follow it up with some clunkers on softie goals. He is not a 60 game a year goalie, more like 45-50. there were so many peaks and valleys with elliott as a blue. im not sure how he will turn out with a new team and system and i am not sure he is a long term answer to your goaltending situation. his play this spring increased his value I think even though Allen put up almost identical numbers earlier in the season in roughly as many games before he got hurt.

anyways just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Aug 3, 2010
hello flames fans, blues fans here who was never a big elliott fan and preferred allen over him.

you guys got a solid goalie but one who can be extremely inconsistent. He can go on a shutout streak for a few games and then follow it up with some clunkers on softie goals. He is not a 60 game a year goalie, more like 45-50. there were so many peaks and valleys with elliott as a blue. im not sure how he will turn out with a new team and system and i am not sure he is a long term answer to your goaltending situation. his play this spring increased his value I think even though Allen put up almost identical numbers earlier in the season in roughly as many games before he got hurt.

anyways just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he's a 60+ game goalie, but he's been one of the most consistent goaltenders in the NHL for half a decade.

He has 1 year left on his contract. He can either prove to the Flames what his worth is, or the Flames can jettison him at the trade deadline or just let him go UFA. There's no particular reason to believe he needs to be a long-term solution as Calgary has a glut of promising young goaltender prospects, but they're not quite ready to make the jump yet.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009

Best part of this trade is that it's not Fleury. Penguin fans are the worst.

(no offence Zirakzigil)

Shush you, we are not! I stayed with the team throughout the rough years when it wasn't cool to wear the black and yellow.

Some of us are decent peeps. :)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Best part of this trade is that it's not Fleury. Penguin fans are the worst.

(no offence Zirakzigil)

So salty! Too bad I can't hear you over my Stanley Cup victory dance! :P

I hear ya though. Some Pens fans were adamant that Fleury was going to the Flames with a ton coming back.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Man, I'm absolutely ecstatic about this deal. When I heard it announced on the radio, I was just floored. All we had to give up was one measly 2nd-round pick, and our goaltending issues are instantly solved.

It's funny that a 2nd-rounder would probably a fair deadline price for a goalie like Elliott, but we get him for a full year. Even if we don't re-sign him, the price is still fair. We can re-address goaltending next off-season if necessary, because we didn't go all-in this off-season.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Man, I'm absolutely ecstatic about this deal. When I heard it announced on the radio, I was just floored. All we had to give up was one measly 2nd-round pick, and our goaltending issues are instantly solved.

It's funny that a 2nd-rounder would probably a fair deadline price for a goalie like Elliott, but we get him for a full year. Even if we don't re-sign him, the price is still fair. We can re-address goaltending next off-season if necessary, because we didn't go all-in this off-season.

lets be honest. You were floored because Jake Allen is the sure #1 now :rant:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Something that hasn't been emphasized enough yet is that Brian Elliot's pad/mask combo was one of the best in the league last season. The perfect guy to take over from Hiller.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Even if we don't resign him I'm happy with the price we paid. If it doesn't work out, it's meh. It would suck to lose #35 in that case, but getting lucky at #6 makes it less of a hit missing that pick

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's what interests me most, how many games is he going to play? I'm not convinced we are done acquiring a goalie. But this does buy Treliving time.

What I interpret is that Treliving sent a strong message that he wasn't overpaying for someone. So if Fleury and Bishop's price tag was really steep, maybe as the season progresses that gets revisited as the pricing on these guys drops and expansion draft has a bigger impact. Treliving paid a modest price for a really good netminder. But I still think you have to ask, if this guy playing 60+ games, how's he going to perform? I anticipate he will do quite well, but we don't have a definite answer to this yet and he's never played that much. Ortio is some insurance as well in a backup role, but now that we have Elliot, he's also a potential trade chip.

I do think Elliot will run with the starting job. But if he's meh, and were in a playoff hunt mid season, Treliving can still trade for Bishop for example and send Ortio out in that deal. Cap wouldn't be as big of an issue then either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad