Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott to Flames for 35th Overall + Conditional 3rd in 2018 (if he resigns)

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Is this payback from us taking MacInnis? :laugh: But we did give Gilmore away for next to nothing, then we stole Hull and Big Al, so I guess we were one up.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Man the Blues fans are kind of having a meltdown over there...

Some Blues fans on Elliott:

He's incredibly consistent and will work his ass off to earn every start he can. His team will lose alot more games for him than the other way around. He's a little weak up top compared to some of the juggernaut goalies who can block pucks with just their shoulder.

I am considering no longer being a Blues fan based on this trade. That should tell you something. I am livid. So are others.

One of the best work ethics amongst goalies in the league. But don't expect long stretches of play without some decrease of performance. He will need his breaks. I loved having him in a Blues jersey. Might need to get me a Flames Jersey.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Best thing is his cap is only 2.5M?

Leaving some room to sign a good Free Agent?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Elliot will likely want term and a raise if we re-sign him. I'd be comfortable with 4x3 or 4x4. Doubt it would get it done but who's going to pay him more? Don't see anyone giving Reimer term either.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats guys. Absolute fleecing. Goalies have so little trade value. He's a stud goalie that was ruined by some awful early years and even better he's an awesome guy. I'm a Flames fan 2nd now.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Elliott is pretty much the perfect stopgap. And his contract is hella cheap (even Reimer in FA would've been at least 4 AAV I'm guessing).

A little sad that the Flames don't have 35th, since that means almost certainly no Mascherin, but the value is very solid.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Blues GM Doug Armstrong says he gave Calgary permission to talk to Brian Elliott's camp earlier today only once framework of deal in place

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Blues GM Doug Armstrong says he gave Calgary permission to talk to Brian Elliott's camp earlier today only once framework of deal in place

I'm thinking he was Plan D, after Anderssen, Fleury and Bishop. Cost was probably more than wish Treliving was willing to pay. 2nd round pick was a perfect price to pay.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Great trade. I've really liked pretty much every thing Treliving's done. Although I'd still like a decent backup in free agency

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Max Jones the annual guy that plays the exact way the team that drafted him is known for. I would have said he plays like a Duck before he was drafted .

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Truth be told, Treliving paid premium for what could end up being just a one year stop gap. Next year, even more goalies will be on the market; there's going to be a ton of quality backups with starter potential up for grabs for pennies on the dollar.

On the other hand, if Elliott struggles, there's no long term commitment. If the Flames want to go in a different direction, they easily can. They should also be able to re-sign him fairly easily (~4 years, 5M per).
I'd say less long term commitment is always better with goalies unless you're Lundqvist who's literally the only consistent goalie in the league.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Good pickup for you guys. Bishop probably would have cost too much to acquire, and the Flames were probably turned off by Fleury and Howard's contracts.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Had on idea that his cap hit is only 2.5 this year. That's a god send for us with us having some other holes in the roster and able to have a bit more wiggle room, buffer us for next year when all our bad ones are off the book. I love it now

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Rob Vollman ‏@robvollmanNHL
Elliot, last 3yrs, rank:
6th in SV%
3rd in home plate SV%
13th in Adj. SV%
6th in Quality Start%
10th in xGS
... and now 30th in Cap Hit

Rob Vollman‏@robvollmanNHL
Elliott is as good as it gets in the home plate area. He's the best option available, especially at just $2.5M/yr.

Clw3yLLVEAAq5Y8.jpg

https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/status/746533233504882691

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Word out of the Pens is Treliving wanted Fleury, the offer was for 35th and the Flames 2nd in 2017. But JR wasn't interested in moving him unless it was for the 6th. Pretty stupid move by JR.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Word out of the Pens is Treliving wanted Fleury, the offer was for 35th and the Flames 2nd in 2017. But JR wasn't interested in moving him unless it was for the 6th. Pretty stupid move by JR.

Yup no way was JR getting 6 for him :laugh::laugh::laugh: BIG LOL at that. He's good....but not THAT good.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Stupid move on JRs part. Really could screw the Pens over at expansion.
Well worst case scenario they'll have to buy him out to protect Murray. Not the end of the world, but a potential four years of 1.9M$ dead caphit is a bigger concern than most pens fans lets on.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Rob Vollman ‏@robvollmanNHL
Elliot, last 3yrs, rank:
6th in SV%
3rd in home plate SV%
13th in Adj. SV%
6th in Quality Start%
10th in xGS
... and now 30th in Cap Hit

Rob Vollman‏@robvollmanNHL
Elliott is as good as it gets in the home plate area. He's the best option available, especially at just $2.5M/yr.

Clw3yLLVEAAq5Y8.jpg

https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/status/746533233504882691
Stuff like this leads to believe he was BT's target since the start.

lolRinne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad