Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's a very interesting one.
I thinks another Joe Gomez. Which….pros and cons. The only guy from Feyenoord that I am rushing in is Wieffer, but wouldn’t say no to another utility defender

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I thinks another Joe Gomez. Which….pros and cons. The only guy from Feyenoord that I am rushing in is Wieffer, but wouldn’t say no to another utility defender
21 goals in the past 4 seasons, Gomez would never.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
21 goals in the past 4 seasons, Gomez would never.
More offense (does it translate though?) / possibly less defense. Plays all spots on defense. Covered LB this year due to Hartman getting injured and was able to perform there too. The Feyenoord defender is want is Hancko though. Desperately need a left footer. Think he was a childhood fan too but that probably doesn’t matter

My issue with LG is that his best position in the PL would probably right back and I am not trying to block Conor Bradley. But it would probably be a good problem to have. Makes a bit more sense if Trent is going midfield, but as I’ve said before; so much of the strategy this summer depends on the Trent plan.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Here comes another saga

If he is staying would think Diaz probably going. But of course this doesn’t means Salah is 100% staying either

Joyce has it too

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They don't.

The money would help, but they're not broke. The budget is also fine, sale or not. 350k a week off the books is enough to really balance whatever they would have to outlay to get someone back in.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's a dangerous game, need to sell Salah before the Saudis give up on their football project.
Why? Salah is still LFC’s best forward. Salah was having another PL Best XI caliber season until getting hurt at AFCON ruined his season. They still don’t have anything behind him (unless they put Trent there). Especially if he wants to stay, there’s no reason to be upset about him doing so. maybe him and Slot too. I would be more than happy with him staying

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm all for maximizing assets.

I'm all for selling him this summer if there's a significant return. But the caveat in that is, what does Salah want? If he's set on being here, is motivated, works hard and gets along with the manager... (all BIG Ifs) then he's worth more in house than he is walking as a distressed asset.

They're not going to get the moon for him. If Saudi did offer it, I think that's an easy sell. But in all likelihood, the only offer is going to be a marginal deal. At that point, you keep him.

Yes, selling the past summer might have been the better gamble. Sure, it would have balanced the books even more. But what everyone is forgetting is the only ACTUAL offer that happened was basically when the window was shut. If they sold Salah, that likely meant no CL this season upcoming. Which means probably more to the club in terms of recruitment and financial deals than what a short term cash out could have meant (especially when it might be 2 years of Salah production factored in). Getting a giant stack of money would have been great. But you can't do much with it on deadline day.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm all for maximizing assets.

I'm all for selling him this summer if there's a significant return. But the caveat in that is, what does Salah want? If he's set on being here, is motivated, works hard and gets along with the manager... (all BIG Ifs) then he's worth more in house than he is walking as a distressed asset.

They're not going to get the moon for him. If Saudi did offer it, I think that's an easy sell. But in all likelihood, the only offer is going to be a marginal deal. At that point, you keep him.

Yes, selling the past summer might have been the better gamble. Sure, it would have balanced the books even more. But what everyone is forgetting is the only ACTUAL offer that happened was basically when the window was shut. If they sold Salah, that likely meant no CL this season upcoming. Which means probably more to the club in terms of recruitment and financial deals than what a short term cash out could have meant (especially when it might be 2 years of Salah production factored in). Getting a giant stack of money would have been great. But you can't do much with it on deadline day.

Unless the Saudi's have already given up on their league, I'm sure you could get 1/4 or 1/3rd of a billion for him. Otherwise this all makes sense. I didn't mean to say you absolutely should've sold, just that there's a balance to be struck because I don't think that crazy Saudi offer will be there forever, whether he's still worth a crazy offer or not.

Only other thing I'd add is that I suspect you could've gotten that Saudi offer earlier in the window if you were open to selling and had engaged with them about it...but I'm also not sure selling him last summer would've been the best time. With Klopp leaving, a rebuild generally already slated, and you guys coming off a strong season, this summer feels like a much more logical time to sell if that crazy offer is still there for him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Saudi wants to pony up 50-60 million, I would be more than happy with that. I have stated in the past I'm not really sure how much the player wants to take the offer, no matter how much he could just swim in a pool of riches for the rest of his earthly existence. I also think, even with this hiccup of an end of the season (injuries, not some silly nonsense kerfuffle) he and his people still think he's playing for another 5-6 seasons. At a top level.

So, I'm not sure going out to pasture, or the desert, is in his plan.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Unless the Saudi's have already given up on their league, I'm sure you could get 1/4 or 1/3rd of a billion for him. Otherwise this all makes sense. I didn't mean to say you absolutely should've sold, just that there's a balance to be struck because I don't think that crazy Saudi offer will be there forever, whether he's still worth a crazy offer or not.

Only other thing I'd add is that I suspect you could've gotten that Saudi offer earlier in the window if you were open to selling and had engaged with them about it...but I'm also not sure selling him last summer would've been the best time. With Klopp leaving, a rebuild generally already slated, and you guys coming off a strong season, this summer feels like a much more logical time to sell if that crazy offer is still there for him.
If Saudi wants to pony up 50-60 million, I would be more than happy with that. I have stated in the past I'm not really sure how much the player wants to take the offer, no matter how much he could just swim in a pool of riches for the rest of his earthly existence. I also think, even with this hiccup of an end of the season (injuries, not some silly nonsense kerfuffle) he and his people still think he's playing for another 5-6 seasons. At a top level.

So, I'm not sure going out to pasture, or the desert, is in his plan.
While none of this is wrong, LFC still have to contend for UCL spots next year. We have only two forwards that can finish; Diogo Jota and Salah. If they sell Salah, they are not coming near touching that output, especially internally. They need to keep Salah (at least) one more year. This summer they absolutely need to add more goals, not subtract them. They cannot move Salah until they know they can come close to replacing that output. Edwards signed Salah and Diogo. Edwards did not sign Diaz/Darwin/Gakpo. At least one of those is probably moved; hopefully for a Darwin upgrade in the middle. If that signing works you can think about moving Salah in 2025. There is too much other work to do this summer

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
While none of this is wrong, LFC still have to contend for UCL spots next year. We have only two forwards that can finish; Diogo Jota and Salah. If they sell Salah, they are not coming near touching that output, especially internally. They need to keep Salah (at least) one more year. This summer they absolutely need to add more goals, not subtract them. They cannot move Salah until they know they can come close to replacing that output. Edwards signed Salah and Diogo. Edwards did not sign Diaz/Darwin/Gakpo. At least one of those is probably moved; hopefully for a Darwin upgrade in the middle. If that signing works you can think about moving Salah in 2025. There is too much other work to do this summer.
That is false though, Edwards last involvement as Liverpool sport director (and it is well documented) was Luis Diaz with Julian Word leading his first negotiation as a learning experience.

Also to note that the same team of recruitment were still running the show when he left. I highly doubt that they did not greenlight any of LFC signing after Edwards left. People are way too much believing that Edwards is a transfer god and with him LFC will have stay at the top. I do believe he is ruthless and he has no loyalty to players unlike Klopp which is important when you need to move away from declining players but mistake will continue to happen. His best quality is selling players, balancing transfer budget and finding bargain.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That is false though, Edwards last involvement as Liverpool sport director (and it is well documented) was Luis Diaz with Julian Word leading his first negotiation as a learning experience.

Also to note that the same team of recruitment were still running the show when he left. I highly doubt that they did not greenlight any of LFC signing after Edwards left. People are way too much believing that Edwards is a transfer god and with him LFC will have stay at the top. I do believe he is ruthless and he has no loyalty to players unlike Klopp which is important when you need to move away from declining players but mistake will continue to happen. His best quality is selling players, balancing transfer budget and finding bargain.
Gonna be tough without being able to swindle Barcelona.

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Ah that’s right. I though Diaz was Ward.

Even if his name isn’t on the paper those aren’t Edwards guys. It’s also widely reported that Darwin was not Edwards/Ward guy. Ward wanted Nkunku. Klopp overruled him and signed Darwin. That’s why Ward resigned early.

Worse players get sold (and bought) for plenty of money every summer. Just got to trust the guy to do his job well

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Aside from Mainoo I legitimately can't think of anyone I'd be against selling for a decent price.

Garnacho and Hojlund have potential, but they don't seem like anything actually special to the point where offers should be automatically denied.
It doesn't make sense to sell Hojlund. Garnacho could be a decent return to balance the books.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't sell Darwin. I think that's stupid. Let the manager figure it out. Buy someone if you must. There is money to spend.
I agree. There are no good outcome in selling him not to mention he is not as bad as some claim he is, people are always overreacting. Clearly not a good finisher but so was Firmino, I think he has a role to play, maybe more from the bench next year but I will wait another year before shipping him out or at least let him prove himself with a new manager.

As for Nkunku vs Nunez. Nobody truly know because Nkunku has been injured all year, so hardly what I would call a resounding win.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It doesn't make sense to sell Hojlund. Garnacho could be a decent return to balance the books.
I'm not saying I'd look to sell him, but if someone comes in and does something silly like offering 85-90m for him I see no reason to not make a profit off him.

Mainoo is the only one where it would take a truly stupid offer to make me think about it. Everyone else is either in the get market value (or a bit less) camp or the "if it's a normal range overpayment, take it and figure it out from there"

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Funny enough, they shipped a lot of their unwanted players to Bournemouth back when Edwards was at LFC and now the new sporting director at LFC is former Bournemouth sporting director Richard Hughes

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wouldn't sell Darwin. I think that's stupid. Let the manager figure it out. Buy someone if you must. There is money to spend.
Yeah I think you have to give him one more year and then let Slot decide. I think Diaz probably goes this summer

Funny enough, they shipped a lot of their unwanted players to Bournemouth back when Edwards was at LFC and now the new sporting director at LFC is former Bournemouth sporting director Richard Hughes
I don’t think they’ll be complaining about getting Dom Solanke. Solanke positives outweighed the negatives of the others

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad