Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It would be nice if the NHL was a pure meritocracy, but that's just not the reality of the situation. Teams want to fit round pegs into whatever they consider to be round holes, and guys with favored traits/pedigrees are going get the benefit of the doubt over guys that have neither. It's a real uphill battle for those square pegs out there, especially if there's nothing that screams "WOW" in his toolbox or backstory. Generally speaking, a handful of good pre-season games isn't going to convince a skeptic of anything.
Id always like to be a fly on the wall with some of their decisions. Especially with Thorburn....dude is a rhombicosidodecahedron being forced into a non existent hole.

As for Schmaltz, I think your take on it is most likely. They need Dunn more on the left then they need Schmaltz on the right.

Reactions: OSA

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Mov your quote here in right thread.

get aa from det somehow for that 3rd line

I assume Detroit lurks for future. One guy which I might be 'ok' to give out is Kyrou and Wings could be interesting of him. After that Musil and Walman could be another ones which Wings would be interested, but I would try hold on them.

Maybe Jaskin + Kyrou would do it?` Or even Kyrou + late round pick known how difficult AA has been for Detroit.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, I'd be interested in Kyrou for AA. But I am not super high on Kyrou, so take it for what you will.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Didn't Kyrou had problems with injuries? Fabbri 2.0?
I don't remember Kyrou struggling with injuries, but maybe someone else can say for certain. Regrdless, I think Kyrou's value may be at an all time high if he shows well at the WJC this year. Could be the optimal time to sell high if the Blues want to...just a thought.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
What you would give up for AA if we play this trade game?
I'd probably do something around Schmaltz, but again, my opinion on this is probably biased since I'm not really interested in AA.

thats ridiculous

aa had 29 points last year in 64 games without smart usage, kyrou is a jr aged player whos upside is similar to AA
AA appears to be a problem child and he's not talented enough for me to overlook his issues. I was on board with going after Johansen despite his issues because he filled a major hole and is extremely talented. AA doesn't have the same offensive upside, and based on Red Wings fans comments he's useless unless he's scoring.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't remember Kyrou struggling with injuries, but maybe someone else can say for certain. Regrdless, I think Kyrou's value may be at an all time high if he shows well at the WJC this year. Could be the optimal time to sell high if the Blues want to...just a thought.
I'm okay with trading Kyrou if it's in a package for a top line player. I just don't see why we want to acquire another 3rd liner in AA when we're already stacked in the top nine when everyone's healthy. There's already been some discussion on these boards about having to trade Berglund in the offseason. We should be getting rid of some of our 3rd liners rather than trying to add more.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I'm okay with trading Kyrou if it's in a package for a top line player. I just don't see why we want to acquire another 3rd liner in AA when we're already stacked in the top nine when everyone's healthy. There's already been some discussion on these boards about having to trade Berglund in the offseason. We should be getting rid of some of our 3rd liners rather than trying to add more.
Fair enough, I don't necessarily disagree about having too many 3rd liners when everyone is healthy. But, like I said, I am not super high on Kyrou, plus I think AA could help us win games right now. Guess it really depends what he'd sign for (I believe his ask is 2.5 and DET is offering 1.9) and if he could be a top 6 player. If we can sign him for 2.25 or less and he can play on our top 2 lines...then I think it'd be worth it.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd probably do something around Schmaltz, but again, my opinion on this is probably biased since I'm not really interested in AA

AA appears to be a problem child and he's not talented enough for me to overlook his issues. I was on board with going after Johansen despite his issues because he filled a major hole and is extremely talented. AA doesn't have the same offensive upside, and based on Red Wings fans comments he's useless unless he's scoring.

no, wings have been misusing him and mistreating him for years

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
AA is the type of player who has flashes of brilliance but in reality he doesn't impact the game as much as you'd believe. Not necessarily great offensively, nothing much on defense and doesn't utilize his line mates that well.

Kyrou has a higher hockey IQ and is better at creating chances. I'll bet on him having higher upside because of that, than trading him for AA.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Personally I don't move Kyrou for anything short of packaging him for a top line center.
He is one of those players that will not get as much in trade value because he doesn't have a high draft pedigree.
As someone who has seen him in both prospect and training camp I feel like he has the skating ability and hockey IQ to be top 6 player in the NHL in the near future.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think AA would add a nice dimension to the Blues, but there's really no reason to tie up $10 million in your third line (Sobotka, Berglund, Athanasiou) for multiple years. It's not like the Blues are hurting for candidates to fill those spots internally. Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin, Blais, Sanford, etc. should all be pushing for regular top 9 time in the next 1-3 years even on a fully healthy team (Sobotka would be the first of those three to come off the books in 2020).

If anything, we're probably going to want to get rid of some of those third liners in the next year or so to free up cap space for use elsewhere...not adding to the stockpile of multi-year commitments we currently have.

If the third line needs bolstering this year because of injuries or whatever, you can always nab a 3rd liner on an expiring contract to fill the gap for cheaper than it would cost to bring in Athanasiou.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Im not saying we need to get AA. I was just asking what would be the price fair for AA?

I know for sure next off-season will Be though one If youngsters develope fast pace and guys like Berglund would be expendable.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think AA would add a nice dimension to the Blues, but there's really no reason to tie up $10 million in your third line (Sobotka, Berglund, Athanasiou) for multiple years. It's not like the Blues are hurting for candidates to fill those spots internally. Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin, Blais, Sanford, etc. should all be pushing for regular top 9 time in the next 1-3 years even on a fully healthy team (Sobotka would be the first of those three to come off the books in 2020).

If anything, we're probably going to want to get rid of some of those third liners in the next year or so to free up cap space for use elsewhere...not adding to the stockpile of multi-year commitments we currently have.

If the third line needs bolstering this year because of injuries or whatever, you can always nab a 3rd liner on an expiring contract to fill the gap for cheaper than it would cost to bring in Athanasiou.
Good points Easton. I like AA and believe he would be a decent fit for our third. But as you noted, we have plenty of in house candidates. We also have too much tied up in third line talent. As such, I don’t see him being the right acquisition for us at this time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Before the start of last season rumors heated up that a Shattenkirk for Nash deal was close to happening. I wonder if the Rangers are sellers at the deadline would Army make a play for him.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Before the start of last season rumors heated up that a Shattenkirk for Nash deal was close to happening. I wonder if the Rangers are sellers at the deadline would Army make a play for him.

Gawd I hope not. Nash is a shell of himself and that contract is outrageous, no thanks. If NYR go into fire sale mode, I don't know that their fire sale will include anyone of great value. Zibanejad, Buchnevich, and many of the other younger players who would be desirable more than likely won't be available. Kreider might be the only one I'd take a shot at but even then, I'm leery. Zuccarello...50/50 on.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Uhhh if Zucc was available I would 100% support acquiring him. Depending on the price of course.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't think it was every really close to happening. In my view, even then it was kind of a salary dump by the Rangers. I think it was exciting because there was a legit source with solid information that this was the offer, and we kind of got to watch it in real time. I don't believe Armstrong was close to pulling the trigger. For example, I don't think St Louis made a counter offer building on that.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm not advocating getting Nash. For all we know the Rags could be in 1st place by the deadline. Knowing that Army at least kicked the tires is what brought it to mind with the Rags struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad