Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Bob McKenzie reporting that Ken Holland wants a player similar in offensive skill and age to AA.

Of course that's what Holland wants. A contract headache for an equivalent, non-headache player. Never going to happen.

The dude plays PUBG all year, plays hockey in Europe, they come to an agreement with one or both sides budging, or he's traded for something that's definitely not simply an equivalent forward.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Watching the Vegas game last night, I really liked Leipsic. He was tenacious on the puck and had a great spin-o-rama assist on one of the goals. I've heard good things about him too from Toronto media. He's a LW, but he's an upgrade over a Jaskin/Paajarvi and I'm tired of wasting roster spots to offensively challenged players. Thoughts? I'd be in for a small trade like that, or even bring up Blais because the secondary scoring isn't there right now and I don't see any sort of chemistry from the bottom 6.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Watching the Vegas game last night, I really liked Leipsic. He was tenacious on the puck and had a great spin-o-rama assist on one of the goals. I've heard good things about him too from Toronto media. He's a LW, but he's an upgrade over a Jaskin/Paajarvi and I'm tired of wasting roster spots to offensively challenged players. Thoughts? I'd be in for a small trade like that, or even bring up Blais because the secondary scoring isn't there right now and I don't see any sort of chemistry from the bottom 6.
If we want to get rid of the offensively challenged players call up Blais, we don't need to make a trade yet. We have Steen coming back in the next week or two.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Of course that's what Holland wants. A contract headache for an equivalent, non-headache player. Never going to happen.

The dude plays PUBG all year, plays hockey in Europe, they come to an agreement with one or both sides budging, or he's traded for something that's definitely not simply an equivalent forward.
This is what bobby mac said on NBCSN tonight. Holland can ask for that all day but no ones going to give it to him because it makes no sense. Thats why I went with Jaskin+Schmaltz. Jaskin is a 3rd liner that can play 2nd line with the right guys. Schmaltz is a RHS guy that can play now and can still develope into a top 4 guy. Which given the Red Wings blueline....isn't hard

So you guys wouldn't entertain Kyrou for AA?
No. Id rather keep the dice rolling on Kyrou

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
If we want to get rid of the offensively challenged players call up Blais, we don't need to make a trade yet. We have Steen coming back in the next week or two.
Ya know, I thought the same thing, but everyone has been mentioning a trade, so I thought I'd toss something in the fire haha

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ya know, I thought the same thing, but everyone has been mentioning a trade, so I thought I'd toss something in the fire haha
I'm just not really wanting a trade until after Steen and Boumeester back. Plus everyone we are looking at are either stupid expensive (Tavares, Duchene) or more expensive than what I'm willing to pay (AA). Plus I think we have the Upgrades that we need in house (Blais).
Here is what I think we should look like Now and after we are fully healthy up front.
Sobotka(Steen)-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin(Berglund)
Blais(Sobotka)-Barbashev-Thompson(Jaskin)
Upshall-Brodziak-Sunqvist

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
So you guys wouldn't entertain Kyrou for AA?

I feel sending Kyrou would be an overpayment, but the value difference isn't enough that the add from Detroit to balance wouldn't be enticing enough to give up Kyrou with his upside. Also, trading Kyrou would reduce the number of high ceiling prospects for a big fish trade.

I'm just not really wanting a trade until after Steen and Boumeester back. Plus everyone we are looking at are either stupid expensive (Tavares, Duchene) or more expensive than what I'm willing to pay (AA). Plus I think we have the Upgrades that we need in house (Blais).
Here is what I think we should look like Now and after we are fully healthy up front.

I feel that if upgrading from Jaskin to AA only costs us Schmaltz, it's a no brainer. AA is a year younger and has put up better numbers than Jaskin, and we'd only be giving up a guy who couldn't beat out Bortuzzo for a roster spot in his age 24 season.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I feel sending Kyrou would be an overpayment, but the value difference isn't enough that the add from Detroit to balance wouldn't be enticing enough to give up Kyrou with his upside. Also, trading Kyrou would reduce the number of high ceiling prospects for a big fish trade.

I feel that if upgrading from Jaskin to AA only costs us Schmaltz, it's a no brainer. AA is a year younger and has put up better numbers than Jaskin, and we'd only be giving up a guy who couldn't beat out Bortuzzo for a roster spot in his age 24 season.

Schmaltz played well enough to beat out Borts, Dunn beat out Schmaltz, that's why Dunn is here and not Schmaltz. And for AA I don't want him because of his contract status, how do we know that if we trade for him he'll actually come here? Would you be willing to give up Jaskin and Schmaltz and have AA just say "Nah, I'ma stay over here, good luck tho".

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Schmaltz played well enough to beat out Borts, Dunn beat out Schmaltz, that's why Dunn is here and not Schmaltz. And for AA I don't want him because of his contract status, how do we know that if we trade for him he'll actually come here? Would you be willing to give up Jaskin and Schmaltz and have AA just say "Nah, I'ma stay over here, good luck tho".
The kid wants 2.5m a year and he scored 29 pts in 64 games. Given his natural assets...its not a crazy ask. Getting him on the team wouldn't be any issue

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The kid wants 2.5m a year and he scored 29 pts in 64 games. Given his natural assets...its not a crazy ask. Getting him on the team wouldn't be any issue

Yes, this happened because Holland ran out of money after paying a bunch of Abdelkader's.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Mmmm .... I don't know about the bolded. We have to have some defensive D, and Borts supplies grit, something Schmaltz definitely lacks. Without Borts in the lineup, or D looks a little, um, polite.

kreele

Oct 12, 2017
I love Jaybo, he fit in the blues former play style perfectly. I am not sure what sort of contract he has but is it possible to trade him, either for cap space or for a younger dman who is more apt to join the rush, someone with speed?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I love Jaybo, he fit in the blues former play style perfectly. I am not sure what sort of contract he has but is it possible to trade him, either for cap space or for a younger dman who is more apt to join the rush, someone with speed?
Jbo has speed.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Mmmm .... I don't know about the bolded. We have to have some defensive D, and Borts supplies grit, something Schmaltz definitely lacks. Without Borts in the lineup, or D looks a little, um, polite.
There's no doubt in my mind that Bortuzzo's size, physicality and experience is a large reason why he's playing and Schmaltz is currently in the AHL, but to me that's less about Bortuzzo "beating Schwartz out" than it is him being a better natural fit to be Dunn's partner while simultaneously rounding out the defense's skill set a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that roster management decision at all. I just think that if 31 teams were picking between Schmaltz and Bortuzzo in a contextual vacuum, a good number of them would rather have Schmaltz.

Reactions: simon in canada

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
You are serious? He is 34 years old and is on the decline. He is coming off a broken ankle. You might want to check this https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/03/23/a-new-look-at-aging-curves-for-nhl-skaters-part-1/

The blues average core is between 23 - 27 now, I might be off a year or two.
Yeah , interesting graph. Regardless, Jbo in his prime was an elite NHL skater. He has lost a step, without question. At the age of 34, however, he is still an exeptional skater, even by NHL standards. It is his skating skills that power his game and allows him to be an elite defensive defenseman. If the injury slows him down anymore, then, it may be time to move on from him, as his offensive skills have fallen off a cliff. I suggest we wait until he makes a full recovery and re-assess the situation then. I think the stability and confidence he brings to our D corps is underestimated and undervalued by a lot of fans.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There's no doubt in my mind that Bortuzzo's size, physicality and experience is a large reason why he's playing and Schmaltz is currently in the AHL, but to me that's less about Bortuzzo "beating Schwartz out" than it is him being a better natural fit to be Dunn's partner while simultaneously rounding out the defense's skill set a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that roster management decision at all. I just think that if 31 teams were picking between Schmaltz and Bortuzzo in a contextual vacuum, a good number of them would rather have Schmaltz.
I am not a big Bortuzzo fan, but I agree with this line of thinking. He brings balance to that pairing.

Schmaltz and Dunn together at this point in time could be disastrous. These are two guys that are very much a work in progress defensively.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think Schmaltz is starting to get really undervalued around here.

Just because he did not make the team out of camp does not mean he has no value. Yes, I realize he is the last 1st round pick from his draft year to make the NHL, the clock it ticking, etc, etc. If he wasn't waiver exempt I think there's a strong possibility he would be with the team. The guy is still a good player and plays a premium position league-wide. He has value in a trade, but honestly, I'd like to keep him around for when Bortuzzo's current contract runs out. If he is part of the add for a significant roster player, I'd be fine with that too...it's not like he's the next Karlsson, but he is better/more valuable than I think he gets credit for around here lately.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think in this year pre-season games Schmaltz looked worse compare to last year. Or let say he hasn't improve that much what I'd hope for, only few baby steps which means he isn't clearly NHL ready. One word what describe of Schmaltz performance in pre-season was 'shy'. He does have skills, but looked that he was holding on his instincts and maybe afraid to made mistakes? His overall performanse to me was biggest disappointment. Looks like he could become MZD 2.0 which is fine.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm interested in some opinions on how he's playing in San Antonio. I thought TT was bland in PS...but he somehow made the squad

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm interested in some opinions on how he's playing in San Antonio. I thought TT was bland in PS...but he somehow made the squad

I have resigned myself to the fact that we did not see enough of pre-season to make a useful analysis. We were unable to watch half the games. Many that did air were on crappy feeds that cut away from the action. Those of us who DVR and rewind couldn't. Then we completely missed half the games and pre-season. Yeo and company on the other hand had practices, all the games and a ton of footage to watch a second or third time. It was specifically TTs play without the puck that won him a spot over Blais. We were all probably so busy watching the puck, that we didn't get a good feel for how he did specifically.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
bergy being in the top6 w/ a fully healthy lineup shows how much the fabbri injury hurts. Hopefully tage, blais or kostin can take over that top6 rw spot halfway through the year

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
bergy being in the top6 w/ a fully healthy lineup shows how much the fabbri injury hurts. Hopefully tage, blais or kostin can take over that top6 rw spot halfway through the year
The thing is if Schenn and Schwartz keeps playing the way they are, they could have me on the line with them and still produce. Bergy is a very good possession player, and last year he took on more of a power forward role, so he'd basically be a better Jaskin, and we seen how Jaskin on that line treated them. Bergy in the top 6 with those 2 isn't the worst thing in the world.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It would be nice if the NHL was a pure meritocracy, but that's just not the reality of the situation. Teams want to fit round pegs into whatever they consider to be round holes, and guys with favored traits/pedigrees are going get the benefit of the doubt over guys that have neither. It's a real uphill battle for those square pegs out there, especially if there's nothing that screams "WOW" in his toolbox or backstory. Generally speaking, a handful of good pre-season games isn't going to convince a skeptic of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad