Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
The best part of Gunners goal yesterday was the "Holy crap that went in" look on his face lol
I can imagine him talking to his wife later that night.
"I found this strange and magical place called 'the slot'. I don't remember how I got there, but everything made sense for a few seconds"

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So we need to get on the andreas athanasiou train. He wont be free, but Holland is listening. I think he'd greatly shore up our top 6 with Fabbri gone.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Yes Doug should be on the phone with Ken Holland first thing this morning. I'm not big on AA, but he fills a need. Even when Steen returns, I'd love to see him go to the 3rd scoring line and run it Steen-Barbashev-Athanasiou.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We're winning and we'll get Steen back soon enough, no need to make a trade. It's worthwhile to see what Thompson can do, he's getting more and more comfortable with each game.

Reactions: rumrokh

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I’d love to see AA as a Blue but with Detroit in cap hell I wonder what Holland wants. Is his biggest desire to have a pick, prospect, or a cheap NHL ready prospect similar to TT? The Blues don’t have a 2018 1st so it probably makes it harder to give up the 2nd as well but maybe not if the view is AA is your 2nd round pick.

The Blues don’t have much wiggle room with the cap either.

I’d love to get AA but I’m betting Army wants to see what a healthy Blues’ lineup can do.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I saw an interesting thread in the main trade one asking Bouwmeester for Galchenyuk. Would you? I said I would but I don't think Bouwmeester would agree at all. Too low-key a guy for Montreal. I mean, with Steen back, Gal would slot nicely with Schwartz and Schenn and push Steen up with Stastny and Tarasenko. Then put Sobotka with maybe Barbashev and Thompson. I dare to dream I guess.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I saw an interesting thread in the main trade one asking Bouwmeester for Galchenyuk. Would you? I said I would but I don't think Bouwmeester would agree at all. Too low-key a guy for Montreal. I mean, with Steen back, Gal would slot nicely with Schwartz and Schenn and push Steen up with Stastny and Tarasenko. Then put Sobotka with maybe Barbashev and Thompson. I dare to dream I guess.
That was tongue in cheek because their GM is idiot.

As for seeing what a healthy Blues team would do. Sure, but a healthy Blues team is better with AA then not. He has a TON of speed and he's scored goals that arent luck but very soft handed goals. He'd be a great add especially when your displacing a guy like Jaskin or whoever. TT is getting better in flashes but i dont expect him to turn a page this year.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
Bob McKenzie reporting that Ken Holland wants a player similar in offensive skill and age to AA.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I’d love to see AA as a Blue but with Detroit in cap hell I wonder what Holland wants. Is his biggest desire to have a pick, prospect, or a cheap NHL ready prospect similar to TT? The Blues don’t have a 2018 1st so it probably makes it harder to give up the 2nd as well but maybe not if the view is AA is your 2nd round pick.

The Blues don’t have much wiggle room with the cap either.

I’d love to get AA but I’m betting Army wants to see what a healthy Blues’ lineup can do.
We have over $3m in usable cap space if we are adding someone to the roster, which should be enough to get Athanasiou signed.

It all comes down to price. I still see his upside as rather limited, becoming comparable to Grabner. His skillset would certainly be a great addition to the roster, but it is another third liner.

If we are moving a collection of very expendable pieces, then absolutely get him. But I doubt something like Jaškin, Lindbohm & 3rd is going to get it done.

I don't consider moving Kostin, Thomas, Barbashev, Kyrou, Thompson, Walman, Dunn or Husso for him. He'll end up better than some of those guys, but I would rather gamble on our prospects upside. I'd just rather not move them for a guy who is likely going to be a third liner, and adding more salary to our bottom 6 in the process.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
AA would take Thompson or Barbashev, and I'd pass at that.
Both those guys are younger and have "higher" ceilings, It wouldn't happen. It sounds like KH just wants a signed AA lol.

IF something could be built around Jaskin, I'd move Jaskin+Schmaltz with them having a small add. Although....if they didnt balk at that, I'd take that straight across. Schmaltz isn't going to shine here unless P&P go down with injury. Those guys will get all the minutes and PP time. I see AA as a 40-50pt guy, but will keep teams on their toes with his speed. He could play anywhere in the top 9 with our guys supporting him. Much better line mates then in Detroit. I had a mind to see him in the top 6 but if they didnt alter those and used him on the 3rd. Steen Barbashev Athanasiou could potentially be filthy as hell. We wouldn't have a stud forward group like Toronto...but all 3 lines would be very dangerous. Paajarvi/Sundqvist can play on the 4th with Upshall/Brodziak.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don’t think AA is a 3rd line player on the Blues.

When completely healthy:

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn AA
Berglund Barbashev Sobotka

That’s how I’d see the top 9.

It’s possible Army isn’t interested because the organization sees enough in TT they want a full year of his progression in the NHL. Who knows? I’ll be borderline shocked if the Blues make any moves this early in the season.

Reactions: OSA

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
The only move that really makes sense is Berglund for AA+salary dump, and I don't think that's a good move for the Blues.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don’t think AA is a 3rd line player on the Blues.

When completely healthy:

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn AA
Berglund Barbashev Sobotka

That’s how I’d see the top 9.

It’s possible Army isn’t interested because the organization sees enough in TT they want a full year of his progression in the NHL. Who knows? I’ll be borderline shocked if the Blues make any moves this early in the season.
Having Athanasiou in the top-6 would be solely about balancing lines rather than him being a legitimate top-6 player on this roster. Both Sobotka & Berglund are unquestionably better players now.

It would be allocating more salary to bottom-6 talent, so the asset cost would need to be low enough to justify that.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Acquiring AA wouldn't be a bad idea with the current injury situation IMO. Jaskin+Schmaltz would be the absolute most I'd pay for him. So long as a 3rd liner is moved in the summer(or TDL), it won't overcrowd the bottom 6 and cap. If it's one of Berglund/Sobotka moved to PIT for a 1st, then I'd consider it a net gain for the team.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agree'd im doing everything I can to move Berglund towards the TDL/draft . I dont hate him bit his term is too long for what he brings and we need to start rotating kids in more down the road.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
AA, to me, is not what this team needs, and his upside isn't worth what it would take to get him

Agree with you. Would be nice to have him in theory but Holland won't just give him away. He's gonna want something good in return to save face. Similar situation to Drouin, except with a less skilled player. I'd be leery of giving up a prospect like Thompson for AA, and don't see another player on our roster I'd be comfortable giving up that would be enough for Holland. Since we have a couple of shifty wingers already, maybe something around Kyrou would be possible? Still not seeing a huge urgency to trade for AA right now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I don't want to waste our ammo shooting pigeons (AA) when there is still the possibility of Armstrong doing some big-game hunting after Dec.1 (JT). I'd absolutely part with a few prospects for Tavares...but if you start dipping into the pool for a guy like Andreas Athanasiou, you're suddenly getting pretty thin pretty fast. I'd do a Jaskin/Blais/Schmaltz package for AA...but the top of the pool should absolutely be off-limits for a guy who projects as a middle-6 winger (of which we've already got more guys than we know what to do with, when healthy).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't want to waste our ammo shooting pigeons (AA) when there is still the possibility of Armstrong doing some big-game hunting after Dec.1 (JT). I'd absolutely part with a few prospects for Tavares...but if you start dipping into the pool for a guy like Andreas Athanasiou, you're suddenly getting pretty thin pretty fast. I'd do a Jaskin/Blais/Schmaltz package for AA...but the top of the pool should absolutely be off-limits for a guy who projects as a middle-6 winger (of which we've already got more guys than we know what to do with, when healthy).

Why wouldn't NYI be interested in a guy like AA? If we coulld get him cheap now do to contract and then work the Army magic on RFAs to get him signed to a fair deal, his value goes up over what we traded. Come trade deadline, a signed AA is a much better asset to package for Tavares than Jaskin + Schmaltz.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I disagree.

Steen was relegated to 3rd line duties last year but he’s a viable top 6 player. Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Stastny, & Steen are top 6 guys. Anyone else the Blues currently have and slot in the top 6 is just plugging a hole.

I think any GM should be looking to make their franchise better every day instead of hoping for some fantasy situation months down the road.

People will have their own opinion on whether AA is a 2nd or 3rd line player and that can be debated. Skill-wise I would rate AA over anyone on the roster excluding the 5 players above.

I would much rather have:

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn AA
Sobotka Barbashev Berglund

Opposed to:

Sobotka Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Steen
Berglund Barbashev TT

Just my opinion

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
AA is really fast and has great hands and that's pretty much where the positives end. He has a muffin of a shot, doesn't backcheck nearly as hard as he should for someone who can skate so well, he doesn't use his linemates effectively AT ALL, he has no idea what to do in the defensive zone. He's basically Nail Yakupov almost to a T. Yak's shot is better, AA has a bit better hands, but that's pretty much it. Don't want him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad