OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers release 15 today. Mostly just rookies they signed in the off-season except for L'Damien Washington. Washington was pretty terrible all year last year. He's been a long project for the Bombers having been hanging around for over 2 years but I've never seen the potential the Bombers saw in him.

Among the rookies was QB Tyler Stewart. So it looks like the 3rd string spot is down to former Lion Alex Ross and Philip Nelson who was hanging around the Bombers practice roster last year I believe.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Washington was terrible also had a bad case of alligator arms, Porter also let go, interesting signing today Larry Webster big dude very, athletic, very good 40 time maybe another surprise on the d line.

Reactions: sipowicz

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Bombers release 15 today. Mostly just rookies they signed in the off-season except for L'Damien Washington. Washington was pretty terrible all year last year. He's been a long project for the Bombers having been hanging around for over one year but I've never seen the potential the Bombers saw in him.

Among the rookies was QB Josh Stewart. So it looks like the 3rd string spot is down to former Lion Alex Ross and Philip Nelson who was hanging around the Bombers practice roster last year I believe.
Corrected it for you.

Reactions: Noeller

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I thought he was around in camp in 2016 but ended up released due to injury. Upon looking again it appears he was in Edmonton in 2016 then picked up late in the year on practice roster for Bombers in 2016.
He first signed with the Bombers May 31, 2017.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Meh, same old same old. Bombers today announced the signing of... oh, wait... :laugh:

_rmviQ.gif

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bombers release 15 today. Mostly just rookies they signed in the off-season except for L'Damien Washington. Washington was pretty terrible all year last year. He's been a long project for the Bombers having been hanging around for over 2 years but I've never seen the potential the Bombers saw in him.

Among the rookies was QB Tyler Stewart. So it looks like the 3rd string spot is down to former Lion Alex Ross and Philip Nelson who was hanging around the Bombers practice roster last year I believe.

Glad they got rid of Washington

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers's draft got a whole lot less interesting today. They've traded picks #7 and #16 (their 1st and 2nd round picks) to BC for pick #12 (BC's 2nd round pick) and BC's 1st Round pick in 2019.

I guess we should have seen this coming. Lots of talk from all media people that the Bombers had no needs to address in the draft this year. Sure a starting ready stud National WR would have been nice, but hardly a huge need and hard to get even from #1 overall. There was reports that the Bombers are really high on Couture and Spooner as backups on the OL leaving little room there as well. So we have just 1 pick in the first 25 picks of the draft.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Perfect draft week trade to move the pick at it's peak value, almost an irrational value. BC does not look like a very good team. That could easily be a top 3 pick next year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Perfect draft week trade to move the pick at it's peak value, almost an irrational value. BC does not look like a very good team. That could easily be a top 3 pick next year.

It's also the CFL. This could be the 9th overall pick they just acquired. Always hard to tell.

I don't mind the move cause the Bombers don't have many needs and with the recent success they've had in the draft I trust them with them showing more faith in the 2019 class than this one with two picks.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I hope the emphasis on Friday Saturday home games is legit in response to fan wishes. I'll only use half my tickets this year at best. I prefer the weeknight games in July and Aug and leaving weekends open.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I hope the emphasis on Friday Saturday home games is legit in response to fan wishes. I'll only use half my tickets this year at best. I prefer the weeknight games in July and Aug and leaving weekends open.

Everyone I go to games with is super excited about this. This is something I've mentioned before to my ST rep. From talking to Bombers staffers at Bomber store and ST reps it sounds like the response is mostly positive. Most people my age (late 20's) that don't have ST I've talked to say they plan to go to more games this year because of it. Nothing's better than a summer weekend game, IMO. Also it will help get rural communities more involved like Saskatchewan does because they will be able to attend games, IMO.

Reactions: sipowicz and Cellee

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Good trade for the Bombers, they move up from 16 to 12 this year and at worst move down from 7 to 9 next year. But odds are BC's pick is higher than 7 next year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
They are the worst. Having to go to work the next morning sucks.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Good trade for the Bombers, they move up from 16 to 12 this year and at worst move down from 7 to 9 next year. But odds are BC's pick is higher than 7 next year.

I agree. I think BC are in the basement of the West this year so it’s likely a good pick

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
No issues with the draft pick trades. Even if BC's pick is 9 next year we would be getting 9 and 12 and losing 7 and 16. Still not bad. And it's likely because Walter and Co don't really feel strongly about who might be around at 7 this year (and what HC indicated about not needing someone to step in right away).

Also really love the weekend games. I don't have any figures to prove, but IMO the "cabin crowd" that wanted more week day games seems like a smaller percentage than the people who would prefer weekend games. That's just my gut feel though.

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Welp almost about to start, hopefully we can pick up some decent late round picks. Good teams guys and maybe a hidden gem like Loffler.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Welp almost about to start, hopefully we can pick up some decent late round picks. Good teams guys and maybe a hidden gem like Loffler.

It sounds like the Bombers are targetting a WR at 12. Which I like since they don't have much depth there if they do start both Demski and Coates. Only guy behind them that's ever caught a pass is 2017 supplemental pick Drew Wolitarsky who is joined by 2017 picks Tylor Henry and Brendon Thera-Plamondon and recently re-signed former 2016 Lions pick Brett Blaszko.

The only other likely spot is OL but it sounds as if they are very high on their 3 backups (Michael Couture, Qdar Spooner, Cody Speller).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
TSN has Hurl listed as a starter for the Riders :biglaugh:

They have no depth at all in Canadian talent.

EDIT: And the Riders take a player who is signed in the NFL...hahahahahaha

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
It sounds like the Bombers are targetting a WR at 12. Which I like since they don't have much depth there if they do start both Demski and Coates. Only guy behind them that's ever caught a pass is 2017 supplemental pick Drew Wolitarsky who is joined by 2017 picks Tylor Henry and Brendon Thera-Plamondon and recently re-signed former 2016 Lions pick Brett Blaszko.

The only other likely spot is OL but it sounds as if they are very high on their 3 backups (Michael Couture, Qdar Spooner, Cody Speller).

Interesting, Walters probably knew the guy he was targeting was going to fall. Lot's of OL gone already.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Could see them taking a DB or fullback type to replace Normand. David Mackie could be the pick. There are 3 high end DB's in this draft, and one of them at least will be available when the Bombers pick after this run on OL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting, Walters probably knew the guy he was targeting was going to fall. Lot's of OL gone already.

Sounds like it's a really deep OL draft.

Some interesting names still left (3 more picks until BB pick).

Rashaud Simonise has already been to the NFL and played a bit. A failed drug test and character concerns make him sound like he is not a Walters/O'Shea pick though. The TSN guys seem to really high on some of the DB's. A DB would be nice to give the Bombers some options if Loffler ever went down with an injury.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Could see them taking a DB or fullback type to replace Normand. David Mackie could be the pick. There are 3 high end DB's in this draft, and one of them at least will be available when the Bombers pick after this run on OL.

Agree on DB's. I'd be a tad disappointed if they used a top 15 pick to replace a guy like Normand. You usually find guys like that in the 3rd round or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad