OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
if Nicholls stays healthy, things are looking nice. even then, our backup is not bad at all.
you have to think we're now grey cup favourites.

Calgary is still scary. What about the rest of the West? Holden, care to weigh in?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Calgary is a lot less scary with BLM coming off major surgery. They recruit and develop better than anyone though. Their D saved them in the second half of the season last year as BLM was terrible. They have played hardball with most of their free agents so there will be a lot of new faces. West is wide open IMO. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton remain front runners, BC and Sask only a stride behind.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Calgary is still scary. What about the rest of the West? Holden, care to weigh in?

I'd find it hard to bet against Calgary, but Winnipeg might be #2 in terms of favourites. But CFL is pretty volatile you just never know. Nobody in west will be pushovers. One major weakness we still have is elite pass rusher. Also question marks if Santos-Knox or a rookie be a star MLB, can Neufeld and co adequately cover LG, how much left in the tank Harris/Bowman/Dressler have. They are not invulnerable.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not a bad first day. Suddenly our secondary is maybe our strength. Would still like to add a linebacker, and pass rusher, preferably one of them being a Canadian, though it’s definitely not necessary.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Sounds like Westerman was offered 200k and still went to free agency, might not of been a smart move by him and might turn out for the best no move for the Bombers.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Whoa, never noticed the Bowman signing - I really like that

Any chance we get Bond or Denmark back?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sounds like Westerman was offered 200k and still went to free agency, might not of been a smart move by him and might turn out for the best no move for the Bombers.

Report I heard had them offering a raise from the 170K from last year, but not up to the 200K he was looking for. With the new flexibility there's no need to time up that much cap in a luxury (national starting DE). Westerman likely gets his ask somewhere.

Whoa, never noticed the Bowman signing - I really like that

Any chance we get Bond or Denmark back?

Both were told that the Bombers are moving on. Absolutely zero chance Bond is back since the Bombers have made it clear they want to move to 3 nationals on the O-Line. Denmark there's an outside chance, but really unlikely with Bowman-Dressler-Adams-Demski-Coates signed (many people saying Bombers are going with 2 national receivers this year). I think Denmark likely goes unsigned (semi-retiring) but the Bombers keep his number close if they run into injury trouble during the season.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Could 2018 be the year the Jets and the Bombers win they’re seat at the top? Would that ever be a story... I just hope Bowman is still the Bowman of two years past, if he is this offence is a serious threat...

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
I think all of the signings make some sense. I don't know that I'm crazy about the blue deciding to go with 2 Canadian receivers rather than adding a Canadian DT but that should help the defence a bit and it's always nice to have home town guys.

I think the real big signing of the day though is Fenner. I could see him becoming a fan favorite right away. Great player and fun to watch. Sounds like he may have taken a bit less money to come here and he gives our defense a ton of flexibility. Should help on the teams too which never hurts.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Both were told that the Bombers are moving on. Absolutely zero chance Bond is back since the Bombers have made it clear they want to move to 3 nationals on the O-Line. Denmark there's an outside chance, but really unlikely with Bowman-Dressler-Adams-Demski-Coates signed (many people saying Bombers are going with 2 national receivers this year). I think Denmark likely goes unsigned (semi-retiring) but the Bombers keep his number close if they run into injury trouble during the season.

Ok thanks - too bad though, I liked those guys. At least the WR lineup looks solid.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Is Givens signed for next year? I liked him but there’s a crowd at receiver now. Maybe keep him around as a special teamer?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is Givens signed for next year? I liked him but there’s a crowd at receiver now. Maybe keep him around as a special teamer?

Givens is still on his rookie deal for next year. He's likely the #4 international receiver on the depth chart, IMO. He'll be in the mix for sure for a spot, maybe even a starting spot. Lots of talk that Coates will be a starter, but I could see them using Chorney/Ekakatie as a rotating starting pair (Ekakatie at DT for running downs, Chorney at DE for passing downs) and running just Demski as a starting WR (leaving Bowman, Adams, Dressler, Givens as the WR starters for internationals).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Givens is still on his rookie deal for next year. He's likely the #4 international receiver on the depth chart, IMO. He'll be in the mix for sure for a spot, maybe even a starting spot. Lots of talk that Coates will be a starter, but I could see them using Chorney/Ekakatie as a rotating starting pair (Ekakatie at DT for running downs, Chorney at DE for passing downs) and running just Demski as a starting WR (leaving Bowman, Adams, Dressler, Givens as the WR starters for internationals).

So if we’re piecing together the offensive depth chart:

QB: Nichols
Durant
Some young guy (Straughan?)

RB: Harris
Flanders
LaFrance (I know a lot of guys on the bombers forum were pissed off at this signing but he helps with the ratio and is adequate)

WR: Adams, Bowman and Dressler should be out every down. Coates and Demski are the Canadian receivers. Agree Givens is likely the 4th WR. That’s some pretty stellar receiving corps, assuming guys like Bowman, Adams and Dressler aren’t on a serious decline. Hope this spells the end of Lankford and Washington’s time in Winnipeg. Not sure how many Canadian receivers we typically keep on roster, but adding another one as a depth piece wouldn’t be a bad idea. Maybe JFG? (Edit: JFG gone to Ottawa.)

O-Line: Bryant, Neufeld, Goossen, Chungh and Hardrick. Foketi as a backup. Pretty good O-Line. Neufeld is the weak link obviously but hopefully they can hold it together. Need another Canadian backup, whether it’s Spooner or Couture or someone else.

How do we think the defense shapes out? Pretty hard to tell right now. I’d think Randle, Fenner, Loffler, Leggett are the definite starters. Then I guess we go with different combinations of Santos-Knox, Gaitor, Wild, Jeffcoat, Okpaulago, Poop and Nevis? I’m not sure exactly what position everyone in the secondary plays. Probably need another linebacker or defensive lineman (need a good pass rusher). Problem is, only Loffler is a Canadian there.

Looks like our non-imports are coming together now. We need 7? I guess they go Harris/Neufeld/Goossen/Chungh/Coates/Demski/Loffler. That’s seven.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Talk is that the Riders owe Muamba 35k tomorrow and have asked him to take a pay cut, my god there are spending big time cash, anyway they might cut him, no brainer that if this happens the Bombers are making calls?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Talk is that the Riders owe Muamba 35k tomorrow and have asked him to take a pay cut, my god there are spending big time cash, anyway they might cut him, no brainer that if this happens the Bombers are making calls?

Oh man, please let this happen. I’m salivating just thinking about it. Has Muamba declined? Why has he bounced around the league a little?

If Muamba is still elite and we snap him up, we are a legitimate Grey Cup IMO. Him, and an elite pass rusher would put us over the top.

If we get Muamba, maybe they push Neufeld out and go with another import on the O-Line?

Last edited:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I would be totally fine with Muamba on a one year deal even if we overpay. MLB was our biggest weakness on D last year and I truly believe that the "soft" scheme was often designed to try cover for Hurl's ineptitude.

If we sign Muamba I truly believe we're 1b grey cup contenders with Calgary

Reactions: csk

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Oh man, please let this happen. I’m salivating just thinking about it. Has Muamba declined? Why has he bounced around the league a little?

If Muamba is still elite and we snap him up, we are a legitimate Grey Cup IMO. Him, and an elite pass rusher would put us over the top.

If we get Muamba, maybe they push Neufeld out and go with another import on the O-Line?

Muamba has been bouncing for a while now. The Bombers have not shown any interest the last two times he appeared on the UFA market. Not sure anything would have changed by now. I think he chases the money pretty much rather than looking for a fit. Or the Bombers feel he wouldn't be a fit in the locker room. Not sure why but the Bombers just seemingly haven't had much interest in the past few years in him. He is not the elite playmaker he once was, but still a solid enough MLB I guess. With 7 national starters already I think the Bombers are hoping for a bigger impact MLB.

Based on how things are going at the moment it looks like the Bombers are thinking Santos-Knox is going to be the guy in the middle this year. I love his range, but I am not sure on his physicality in the run game. Alot of the run defense is going to rely on Nevis and Wild, IMO. A big back like Messam might give us fits. But there's still all the unknown international rookies to account for which is why CFL UFA is always a bit deceiving (many of the big pickups are unheralded rookies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad