OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
DRCO5M-VwAAPIXG.jpg

Looks like the schedule has been bumped earlier by 2 weeks and only 1 Thursday game

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What is the rationale for bringing Hall back? I mean c'mon, that pass defense was comical.

Wasn't he a halfback when he played? You'd think he'd figure it out.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
What is the rationale for bringing Hall back? I mean c'mon, that pass defense was comical.

Doug Brown had an interesting column recently where it was suggested that too many players on the Bombers defense were going off-book, freelancing instead of carrying out their assignments. This makes for some pretty good individual ball hawk stats when it works, but overall leads to defensive breakdowns. Well, a couple of his assistants have already been let go, and I'm still seeing a lot of free agent defenders unsigned. So, it seems there is still faith in Hall's systems, but not with those tasked with implementing and executing them. Right or wrong, this has to be the last year for this team as it stands if they fall short of the prize. Walters and MOS have already had 4 years, and we've seen it doesn't take anywhere near that long to go from zero to Grey Cup.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011

Blue wanted Noel Thorpe but when he signed with Ottawa it's Hall with some input from O'Shea on D.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Durant has been released by the Als, possible back up here or pass, Glenn has now signed with every team in the CFL One of Leggett, Randle, or Health might not be signed by the Bombers.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Durant has been released by the Als, possible back up here or pass, Glenn has now signed with every team in the CFL One of Leggett, Randle, or Health might not be signed by the Bombers.

Kinda disappointed we didn't get Glenn.
I know someone who worked in the Bomber office for several years and she couldn't believe how Glenn remembered all of the staff who were still there from when he left (when he came back). On top of that he would just show up to help out. The Bombers do random calls to season ticket holders to check on them. Kevin started doing some of the calls and on the second one once he spoke to the guy for a minute or two he realized that he knew the fan. Out of no where he's asking the fan about his wife and kids (by name). Seems like a really great guy and over a short term a much better QB option then what our back ups have provided.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Glad to see the Bombers finally show that they care about winning. Durant is likely the best available backup in FA (even though he hasn’t played fantastic the past 2 years) and we actually got him. In years past we would cheap out and get the third or fourth best option.

I remember when we got Willy. He was the third best option if I remember correctly. Reilly and Collaros were ahead of him. Maybe they didn’t want to come here but with how dire our QB position was, you’d think we’d offer a bunch and get one of those, but instead we ended up with the third best option.

It seems in recent years the Bombers have shown a willingness to spend to win. Examples being when we signed Stanley Bryant (top FA Oline) and Andrew Harris.

Sure is nice. Say what you want about Walters, but I think he is doing a fine job. Especially compared to the Joe Mack days.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Glad to see the Bombers finally show that they care about winning. Durant is likely the best available backup in FA (even though he hasn’t played fantastic the past 2 years) and we actually got him. In years past we would cheap out and get the third or fourth best option.

I remember when we got Willy. He was the third best option if I remember correctly. Reilly and Collaros were ahead of him. Maybe they didn’t want to come here but with how dire our QB position was, you’d think we’d offer a bunch and get one of those, but instead we ended up with the third best option.

It seems in recent years the Bombers have shown a willingness to spend to win. Examples being when we signed Stanley Bryant (top FA Oline) and Andrew Harris.

Sure is nice. Say what you want about Walters, but I think he is doing a fine job. Especially compared to the Joe Mack days.

Agreed to a point. Both Reilly and Collaros were trades, so the price in those cases was assets in trade, rather than money.

The Bombers have been willing to spend since Miller took over. They've been up near the cap for the past few years.

In fact this year we are likely losing out on some good players since we simply don't have the cap room. Likely why Westerman, Heath, and Leggett are not yet signed. With Leggett I expect him to be back, but I think the Bombers are probably wanting to continue monitoring on his injury recovery some more before deciding on him. I think we'll end up losing Westerman, hopefully they convince Andy Mulumba to come back north, without Westerman he would be a instant 1A option at DE (Chorney being the 1B). Not sure if they are looking at Heath or not. He is a VERY dynamic player no doubt, but I think the Bombers were frusterated with players "not playing the system" and just looking out for individual stats and he might be the scrapegoat for that. I think the Bombers are also saving money to try to upgrade at LG ( well downgrading but moving to a national there), MLB (might go international and therefore a true starter) and HB.

They will have more work to do with the nationals next year it seems. It's clear they have to move from Hurl on defense. With Westerman maybe not returning, Harris getting older, no true starters in WR corps, it might get difficult.
Locks: S Taylor Loffler, C Mattias Goosen, RG Sukh Chung, WR Matt Coates/Julien Feoli-Gudino, RB Andrew Harris. That's just 5.
If they can get Mulumba north I think DE might be another spot they look at with Trent Chorney/Andy Mulumba sharing the spot. Maybe Faith Ekakatie takes the next step this year at DT to let them have a Ekakatie/Jake Thomas duo at DT as well, but having 2 nationals and a bunch of question marks is not that encouraging to enter the year. They'll need to add some national talent for sure.

Durant is a good backup option. I think the Bombers probably put in a big push for Glenn, but Edmonton likely had more cap room with them having some expensive players moving on. More importantly I think for the Bombers it would be really really REALLY nice if we can find a development QB worth a damn. The Bombers have not developed a starting QB in my entire lifetime. I mean not one. They appear to bringing in some guys from down south rather than cast-offs like Davis so that's a good start, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed to a point. Both Reilly and Collaros were trades, so the price in those cases was assets in trade, rather than money.

The Bombers have been willing to spend since Miller took over. They've been up near the cap for the past few years.

In fact this year we are likely losing out on some good players since we simply don't have the cap room. Likely why Westerman, Heath, and Leggett are not yet signed. With Leggett I expect him to be back, but I think the Bombers are probably wanting to continue monitoring on his injury recovery some more before deciding on him. I think we'll end up losing Westerman, hopefully they convince Andy Mulumba to come back north, without Westerman he would be a instant 1A option at DE (Chorney being the 1B). Not sure if they are looking at Heath or not. He is a VERY dynamic player no doubt, but I think the Bombers were frusterated with players "not playing the system" and just looking out for individual stats and he might be the scrapegoat for that. I think the Bombers are also saving money to try to upgrade at LG ( well downgrading but moving to a national there), MLB (might go international and therefore a true starter) and HB.

They will have more work to do with the nationals next year it seems. It's clear they have to move from Hurl on defense. With Westerman maybe not returning, Harris getting older, no true starters in WR corps, it might get difficult.
Locks: S Taylor Loffler, C Mattias Goosen, RG Sukh Chung, WR Matt Coates/Julien Feoli-Gudino, RB Andrew Harris. That's just 5.
If they can get Mulumba north I think DE might be another spot they look at with Trent Chorney/Andy Mulumba sharing the spot. Maybe Faith Ekakatie takes the next step this year at DT to let them have a Ekakatie/Jake Thomas duo at DT as well, but having 2 nationals and a bunch of question marks is not that encouraging to enter the year. They'll need to add some national talent for sure.

Durant is a good backup option. I think the Bombers probably put in a big push for Glenn, but Edmonton likely had more cap room with them having some expensive players moving on. More importantly I think for the Bombers it would be really really REALLY nice if we can find a development QB worth a damn. The Bombers have not developed a starting QB in my entire lifetime. I mean not one. They appear to bringing in some guys from down south rather than cast-offs like Davis so that's a good start, IMO.

Reilly was traded for a second round pick. They should've easily stomached that. Collaros was a free agent though. Agree that we've been willing to spend with Miller. It's nice. Way better than Buchko. Pretty obvious his regime was cheap and didn't care about winning.

If the cap is an issue, I wouldn't mind moving on from Westerman. He was great his first year, and is still effective, but has been on the decline every year since we've got him. He's Canadian so that's what's really gonna hurt. Leggett, provided he recovers 100%, we need to have back. Heath is great and would be nice to have back, so if they let him go they better have a plan.

Having Randle back will be nice. He did get abused when playing against elite competition last year, but what DB in the CFL doesn't? He is the best corner we have and unlike the majority of the jokers in the defensive backfield, he can actually make plays.

Despite my love for Heath, Loffler and Randle, it's obvious our secondary was our weakness last year. Walker needs to be better. He's young, but he has to be better. Alexander was a bum, and Fogg was okay but I didn't like where they played him on the field. Who else did we even have back there?

Have to get rid of Hurl and go import. Having Wild for the full year will be nice. He didn't play much last year but he is still an impact player. Would like to see more of Santos-Knox.

DL will take a step back. Jeffcoat is one of your starters. Any word on Okpaulago? After sucking royal **** for the first 75% of the season, he really turned it on late. Wouldn't mind taking another look at him. Chorney is a good alternative, especially being Canadian. If Mulumba comes back then we can get rid of Okpaulago but I ain't holding my breath. Gotta throw some Canadians up front for sure. I didn't think Thomas was too bad last year. Ekakatie needs to play more. What about Poop Johnson and the other dude (what was his name, Nevis?) Should we bring them back? Might not be enough room for them, and I don't remember them particularly sticking out.

O-Line will still be strong. Losing Bond will really hurt, hopefully they can replace him with a decent young Canadian. No Neufeld please. Bryant, Hardrick, and Canadians Chungh and Goossen will be back and better.

I'm all for going Harris and Flanders in the running game again. Flanders is the best backup in the league.

Expect JFG to be back. I think Coates will have a breakout season. Would like to see more of Chris Givens. Former Ram who we got late last year. He was good in the NFL. Could have three dangerous veterans in Denmark, Adams and Dressler next year. Lots of targets for sure. Get rid of Lankford and Washington.

Agree Durant will be a good backup. Remember with Nichols hurt last year we were stuck with LeFailure and the useless Davis. I can't see Durant being any cheaper than Glenn though.

Definitely need a young, talented third string QB to start to develop. Will need him to takeover someday. As mentioned, we haven't had anybody good for ages.

I guess if we need 7 starting Nationals, I'd go: Loffler, Harris, JFG/Coates, Goossen, Chungh, Thomas/Ekakatie and either Chorney (Mulumba if we can get him) or an O-Lineman to replace Bond (Spooner? Not sure if he can play LG or if he is ready).

Appreciate the lengthy and thoughtful response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->