OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The beginning of last season did not get off to great start for him towards the end when the Riders picked it up his game had improved tremendously. Again he will go with whoever gives him the $$$$$

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So the Riders are essentially switching out Muamba for Hurl? What are those clowns doing? That’s Joe Mack levels of incompetence.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So the Riders are essentially switching out Muamba for Hurl? What are those clowns doing? That’s Joe Mack levels of incompetence.

Or they know something about Muamba that should be raising red flags around the league. In any case, Hurl may not be a bad player per se, just bad for the system the Bombers use.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Or they know something about Muamba that should be raising red flags around the league. In any case, Hurl may not be a bad player per se, just bad for the system the Bombers use.

They know his salary costs. Muamba is a good player, and a ratio breaker, but, IMO you can find better value elsewhere with Canadians on your roster.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

If they knew something they would of cut him in January instead of giving him a 35k off season bonus. The Riders went a little spend happy lately and it caught up with them.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If they knew something they would of cut him in January instead of giving him a 35k off season bonus. The Riders went a little spend happy lately and it caught up with them.

Exactly. Their MO in recent years I believe has been backloading contracts. Well, it's finally caught up with them.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Hurl has never been anything more than average. The ONLY reason he has been hanging around the league is because of his passport. Even Rider fans on their forums are dreading that he's been brought back.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Hurl has always been a steady and solid special team player. As long as he is not playing on defense it's a good signing for a team (depending on price). Can't believe that the Riders would be planning to use Hurl on defense.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hurl has always been a steady and solid special team player. As long as he is not playing on defense it's a good signing for a team (depending on price). Can't believe that the Riders would be planning to use Hurl on defense.

Do they have any other options? Judge??
And it would be nice for the Bombers to get Muamba but I agree, it’s not necessary, any impact player will do. I love Santos-Knox but I hope we aren’t going into the season with only him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL had all 9 teams release the names of 10 players off their neg list today.

Here's the Bombers list.
QB Alex McGough - Florida International
QB Quinton Flowers - South Florida
QB Chris Streveler - South Dakota
WR Shakim Phillips - Boston College
WR Corey Washington - Newberry College
LB Jayson DiManche - Southern Illinois
DB Tharold Simon - LSU
DB Marcus Sayles - West Georgia
DB Cody Prewitt - Ole Miss
K/P Felix Menard-Briere

Only name I recognized off hand was the former Bombers draft pick Menard-Briere. Despite being released last year clearly they still like him.

Justin Dunk did a top 10 most interesting names from the 90 player release (ignoring the big well known names like RG3 and Kap) and the only Bomber to make the list was Tharold Simon. As some are happy to hear he is a big 6'3'' CB that spent 3 years with the Seahawks.

No guarantees on any of these names coming north, but it is interesting to look at.
EDIT: WR Corey Washington has already been signed by Bombers.

Here's Tait's breakdown of the list
10 Bomber Neg List Names Revealed - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
CFL had all 9 teams release the names of 10 players off their neg list today.

Here's the Bombers list.
QB Alex McGough - Florida International
QB Quinton Flowers - South Florida
QB Chris Streveler - South Dakota
WR Shakim Phillips - Boston College
WR Corey Washington - Newberry College
LB Jayson DiManche - Southern Illinois
DB Tharold Simon - LSU
DB Marcus Sayles - West Georgia
DB Cody Prewitt - Ole Miss
K/P Felix Menard-Briere

Only name I recognized off hand was the former Bombers draft pick Menard-Briere. Despite being released last year clearly they still like him.

Justin Dunk did a top 10 most interesting names from the 90 player release (ignoring the big well known names like RG3 and Kap) and the only Bomber to make the list was Tharold Simon. As some are happy to hear he is a big 6'3'' CB that spent 3 years with the Seahawks.

No guarantees on any of these names coming north, but it is interesting to look at.
EDIT: WR Corey Washington has already been signed by Bombers.

Here's Tait's breakdown of the list
10 Bomber Neg List Names Revealed - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Wait a minute... If you draft someone, don't you still hold their rights even if they're sent back to their school? Why would he have to be on the uber-secret neg list?

Honestly, this qualifies as a big who gives a f***. This is creating a buzz, as former journalist turned corporate shill Ed Tait puts it? I figure I'm like 90% of Bomber followers who don't pay any attention to US or Canadian college ball. So, all of these names on a neg list or even signed, I go OK big whoop. Half of the signings get released before training camp, most of the rest get released during training camp, and you're left with pretty much what you had last year, plus a couple of free agent signings and a couple of scrubs who impressed enough to stick around on special teams.

Wake me up when we win the Grey Cup.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Urban Bowman, who led the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to a Grey Cup berth as interim head coach in 1992, died Sunday at the age of 80.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers Post Operating Profit of $5.1 million in 2017 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are in the black once again after recording an overall operating profit of $5.1 million in 2017.
The club released its 2017 annual report today and the profit reflects a $2.3 million jump from 2016, largely due to increases in attendance, game revenue and overall Winnipeg Football Club revenue.

Total game revenue is up 14 percent to $13,267,198 with average attendance rising from 25,935 in 2016 to 27,400 in 2017 – an increase of six per cent – as the club played in its first-ever playoff game at Investors Group Field. Miller said season ticket totals are trending at the same pace as last year.Asked whether it’s realistic to expect the average attendance of 27,400 to grow further, Miller said:“We had great attendance last year and this season is lining up to be very similar. Hopefully it is higher because we’ve got an excellent schedule with a lot of Friday night games, something many of our fans were asking for. We took out some seats last year, built the new viewing decks that our younger fans really like.“We also saw a shift last year of more people buying tickets in the 24-48 hours leading up to game day, something we hadn’t seen in the last couple of years, and we really believe that’s a product of the transportation logistics being resolved. Fans are finding it easier to get to the stadium now, and we saw that in our attendance jump in 2017.”

The issue here is those events do not consistently pop up on the calendar. The NHL’s Heritage Classic was a one-time event, as was the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the Canada Summer Games. There are also fewer touring stadium acts like Guns N’ Roses.

The Bombers this was including paying off some old debts the team had incurred. The team has never been on better financial footing. Top 3 in the CFL in terms of finances despite the fairly lofty stadium payments they pay every year.

There are a few signs pointing to next year perhaps not being as strong. Lots of one-time only events like 2017 Canada Summer games, Women's Soccer Friendly Canada v Costa Rica, and fewer concerts will hurt the stadium revenues. As well there are minor concerns with Jets soaking up the cities entertainment dollars with a long playoff run. I don't find that one too believable because of the sheer difference of prices (one Jets playoff ticket is basically equal to a Bomber Season Ticket). Miller saying ST are trending higher and they expect an even better walk up year due to the Friday night games.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Bombers Post Operating Profit of $5.1 million in 2017 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Bombers this was including paying off some old debts the team had incurred. The team has never been on better financial footing. Top 3 in the CFL in terms of finances despite the fairly lofty stadium payments they pay every year.

There are a few signs pointing to next year perhaps not being as strong. Lots of one-time only events like 2017 Canada Summer games, Women's Soccer Friendly Canada v Costa Rica, and fewer concerts will hurt the stadium revenues. As well there are minor concerns with Jets soaking up the cities entertainment dollars with a long playoff run. I don't find that one too believable because of the sheer difference of prices (one Jets playoff ticket is basically equal to a Bomber Season Ticket). Miller saying ST are trending higher and they expect an even better walk up year due to the Friday night games.

They had better not regress on the field, as well. They will always have their hard core, thick and thin fan base but they need the fair-weather fans to make money. A return to mediocrity and the "here we go again" people will find other uses for their money.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They had better not regress on the field, as well. They will always have their hard core, thick and thin fan base but they need the fair-weather fans to make money. A return to mediocrity and the "here we go again" people will find other uses for their money.

I agree to a point. They do need some sustained success. The good news on that front is that all signs are pointing fairly positive for another strong year. Most people have the Bombers ranked #2 in the league going into the new season (the draft means little in terms of immediate impact in the CFL unlike the NFL).

What might be underrated is that I think the Bombers have picked up quite a few fair weather fans and turned them into diehards over the past couple of years. The stadium experience is night and day compared to when the new stadium opened, and in another galaxy from where it was at the old stadium. It's fun to go to games just for the experience now.

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree to a point. They do need some sustained success. The good news on that front is that all signs are pointing fairly positive for another strong year. Most people have the Bombers ranked #2 in the league going into the new season (the draft means little in terms of immediate impact in the CFL unlike the NFL).

What might be underrated is that I think the Bombers have picked up quite a few fair weather fans and turned them into diehards over the past couple of years. The stadium experience is night and day compared to when the new stadium opened, and in another galaxy from where it was at the old stadium. It's fun to go to games just for the experience now.

So much this, I always loved going to games, win or lose, old stadium or new, I have always enjoyed myself but what they have done with pregame tailgate party and half time it makes it even more enjoyable.

Also on a side note now that the weather is finally starting to turn for the best and training camp is so freaking close, I can't wait for the season to begin. Defense still worries me to a degree because of Hall still being in charge and we are starting to get up their in age with our skill players but I still think the boys can host a playoff game again this year! Go Blue!! I am happy I have the Jets to enjoy until CFL starts!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For all the hand wringing about T.J. Thorpe last year...the Riders just released him after mini-camp. He did not even make it to main camp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's cause the Riders are loaded with star receivers. Roosevelt, Grant, Carter, Owens. The Bombers are not so blessed.

Bombers have a solid receiving corps. And International WR are a dime a dozen. Thorpe was a mediocre piece that wanted to be treated as a star. Meh. Bombers have 4-5 rookies that are looking strong in mini-camp already. Riders can keep their "stars" the Bombers will continue with the wins. Star power means nothing when it's attached to a guy like Carter who prevents his own team from winning.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
LOL! @ Grant and Owens listed as "star receivers". The Riders have Carter, who's a lunatic, and Roosevelt is likely a good one. Bombers offense will be outstanding again this year....not in doubt.....and hopefully the D takes another step in the right direction with MOS taking more responsibility there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->