Confirmed with Link: Baertschi Traded to Vancouver for 2nd Round Pick 2015

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No earlier than us getting excited about Gilles at the end of his 2nd NCAA season. Demko was the guy I wanted with our 1st second round pick last year, He had a great freshman year in his draft year which is unheard of. He has been even better this year as a sophomore.

I was hoping for Demko too if we did pick a goalie, but MM looks decent so far.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I liked Demko too but I was very disappointed when he completely collapsed during BC's playoff or championship run (whatever they call it). He was a big reason they were eliminated I think. You could question his performances in the big games, but it's hard to know too much about that aspect.

I'm starting to like the McDonald pick more and more as this season is going along. He looks to be one of the best in the Q already.

Aug 3, 2010
Talk to your mom.... maybe we are :naughty:

wwRJnql.png

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sven's name has just been added again. Sven has now has 4 points in 3 games and is a plus 2 for Utica. :biglaugh:
You say this like he hasn't gone on hot streaks before, so when Sven has actually done something worthwhile come and let us know. Because 4 points in 3 games is not all that impressive at the AHL level. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
They've got a few entering waiver eligibility of their own soon (Vey, Jensen, Pedan, Corrado) and that's before acquiring Baertschi from their longtime rival while spending a 2nd round pick. Also, they feel like their organization has mishandled Kassian's development to a point just as much as Calgary mishandled Baertschi's, and that could be an issue in the near future.

Of course, with different players and different situations, it might never be a problem, but it's interesting to see how they analyze the trade because the Canucks acquired a known asset whereas the Flames did not.

Basically I asked:

And the most succinct answer:

Basically I figure that if only one of Vancouver's other-team prospects (Vey, Pedan, Clendening, and Baertschi) becomes a useful NHL player, then those moves matched or slightly beat the odds on a late 2nd-round pick's eventual NHL success. If two out of the four make it, the strategy was a solidly good one. Pedan seems to be a quick study as a young D and will be a fearsome NHL enforcer (check hockeyfights) when his waver status changes after next season. Baertschi might make it as a 2nd line winger next season . . . who knows? We'll see. He's no longer special or entitled, having been traded for a second pick, which may help his mental performance as you guys have indicated. Vey and Clendening I don't have much of a feel for. The best you can say is the usual line that "they're still developing." Vey has certainly been an NHL regular this season, which is the standard by which a second pick needs to be judged. So it could be three out of four, or none out of four. Likely two out of four, longer term, IMO. If that's the case, Benning has been wise. Canuck fans are short-sighted enough to lament even one of these gambles not working out, when our team has been horrible with its second picks, and until Demko, we had never in modern times drafted a player as promising as Pedan and especially Baertschi.

As for the other young players with wavers due to expire, Corrado is a third-pairing NHL D, so that's what he'll be or else be traded. Jensen is yet another first-rounder heading to bustville so it doesn't matter what happens to him. As long as just *some* of the trades and picks work out--perfection being nearly impossible--a "down" team can rise from the ashes, case in point being the resurgent Calgary Flames.

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
You say this like he hasn't gone on hot streaks before, so when Sven has actually done something worthwhile come and let us know. Because 4 points in 3 games is not all that impressive at the AHL level. :laugh:

Baertschi now has 10 points in his first 9 games with the comets. He is a fixture on the first pp unit and quarterbacks that unit. His stckhandling and passing skills are outstanding. I can not understand why the flames gave up on him. Did he not fit in at the ahl level?? My cousins have season tickets in glens falls and they don't know why he was traded either. Another nice pickup by Jim benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad