Confirmed with Link: Baertschi Traded to Vancouver for 2nd Round Pick 2015

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Link

Don't see it that way. They wanted him to be better defensively, which is fair and to my mind, he was getting better but the Gallagher reference is key because there's a ton of quality defensive players out there but Gallagher's best known for his non-stop motor. And that what I see the Flames wanted most out of Baertschi but that's not his game; he's like Tanguay or even Hudler in that he picks his spots. Both of those guys are average to above average defensively but neither go all out each and every shift.

It's just what AF said, it was about playing in all 3 zones.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
l liked Sven and really wanted him to succeed here, but if you don't want to be here, then might as well deal him for an asset. It seemed when he talked to Steinberg earlier in the year that he finally "got it," but what he really wanted was a change of scenery. I think his biggest issue was not understanding that he at least needed to try to play defense.

Gaudreau will never be confused for Bergeron, but the commitment he showed blocking shots against Dallas is exactly what they wanted from Sven and they just never got it to the level they wanted.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Link

Don't see it that way. They wanted him to be better defensively, which is fair and to my mind, he was getting better but the Gallagher reference is key because there's a ton of quality defensive players out there but Gallagher's best known for his non-stop motor. And that what I see the Flames wanted most out of Baertschi but that's not his game; he's like Tanguay or even Hudler in that he picks his spots. Both of those guys are average to above average defensively but neither go all out each and every shift.
They just wanted him to give 100% every shift. He never has, he floats at least 50% of the game every game.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
He's so amusing, talking **** about the team that invested so much on him, but it was majorly his fault he couldn't pick himself up. It is his fault he didn't improve his conditioning and strength over the summer, only to **** the bed during development camps and training camps.

Really wished he would pan out here, but you knew there was something going on when his dad used the media like he did. His dad wouldn't randomly say things regarding the behind-the-scenes stuff if Sven hadn't said all those things to him. That pretty much tells you Sven's belief was that nothing was wrong with him, but it was the team's system that brought him down. Is it the fault of the team that other players of his position outworked and outperformed him in DCs and TCs?

Mark my words, he will never succeed in the NHL with that petulant attitude.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There are very, very few players in this league that can get away with a one dimensional game and no physicality. If Sven thinks that his offense can let him get away with that... Good on him. I don't see him as a full timer anymore if that's what he believes.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Canucks fan coming in peace. So far he has showed very little.
Kid has boatloads of talent, but he doesn't have the drive to be a top player. After watching him in Abbotsford and Calgary since he turned pro I was regularly calling him out for his inconsistent effort (it became an ongoing joke that I had a vendetta against him). He has a tendency to be invisible for 50%-75% of the game, but has enough talent to still put up decent numbers in the AHL with that work ethic.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
U guys ripped us of with this guy. I knew it at the time we shouldnt of done it but benning seems to dis regard high picks in the best draft in decades so here we are with a floater who all ready takes stupid penaltys. Too bad for us too good for u guys. Congrats u got us :(

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Honestly, the way I feel is that Baertschi has the same chance to meet his potential as that 2nd round pick has to become a bona-fide NHL player. Basically a 1 in 3 chance.

Thing is a 2nd round pick might be a bottom six, role player. If Baertschi makes the NHL it's in a scoring, top six role.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
U guys ripped us of with this guy. I knew it at the time we shouldnt of done it but benning seems to dis regard high picks in the best draft in decades so here we are with a floater who all ready takes stupid penaltys. Too bad for us too good for u guys. Congrats u got us :(

Bit hasty after 2 games?

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC

Don't give up on him yet, he is still pretty young and still has time to be the 70 point scoring winger he was supposed to be.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Too early to tell. I think I see a Mason Raymond-like career in him.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I am probably Sven's harshest critic and when you look at the trade as asset for asset I would say this is perfectly fair value. Sven definitely comes with risk, but I wouldn't say with more than a 2nd round pick.

Thegame

Jul 28, 2013
He played pretty good last game and could have had a couple assists if Vey could finish.

His effort was much better and he got moved up to the 2nd line at the end of the game with Bonino and Vrbata and they looked very good.

Willie D said he's very skilled and will be a top 6 player and he doesn't usually say things like that unless he's very sure of it.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Bit hasty after 2 games?

Nah its fine let him feel ripped off, its funnier like this.

I actually came to your board looking for the playoff series thread to read the hype and try to get the hate back... its been gone too long, Guess you're waiting for the season to end.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Lol. Flames will regret this to Flames committing robbery. Which one is it? :laugh:

Defy was robbery u guys got us with that one. I would like to say big deal is not that HUGE but the problem is JB traded a 2nd rd pick in the deepest of drafts for this guy. Like really why?? :shakehead

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Don't give up on him yet, he is still pretty young and still has time to be the 70 point scoring winger he was supposed to be.

If that happends i will be the happiest canucks fan and will be the first to say i was wrong. Dear Heavens i hope im wrong about him! :laugh:

May 23, 2007
Calgary
Nah its fine let him feel ripped off, its funnier like this.

I actually came to your board looking for the playoff series thread to read the hype and try to get the hate back... its been gone too long, Guess you're waiting for the season to end.

Our saviour Sam Bennett is about to play in his NHL debut. WE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
If that happends i will be the happiest canucks fan and will be the first to say i was wrong. Dear Heavens i hope im wrong about him! :laugh:

You're already wrong. You probably haven't watched him play any games in Utica at all. He was fantastic , and look at that he just scored his first goal with the Canucks. Looks really good this game too.

So yeah, just wait at least a month or so before you start making snap judgements lmao.

Edit: Make that 2 goals. :)

Last edited:

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
Defy was robbery u guys got us with that one. I would like to say big deal is not that HUGE but the problem is JB traded a 2nd rd pick in the deepest of drafts for this guy. Like really why?? :shakehead

900x900px-LL-f1a6b8e0_MichaelScottClosingDoor.gif

thegutter

May 22, 2011

Lol he's a prospect how can you say its robbery already? Beginning traded for a project not an established player. Plus this draft is not this deep. Dont know where your getting that from. It is a very high end talent draft in the first 10 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->