Post-Game Talk: Avalanche 2, Penguins 1 - The Penguins are Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The good news is that if they continue like this 'til the allstar break, and then make the playoffs, they will, by necessity, be one of the hottest teams in the League going into them...

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Not as good as last season or the season before. However, we're pretty spoiled. Two cups in a row... People already saying they won't watch games anymore? C'mon lol. I'll always believe there's some who prefer the team to lose so they will have something to complain about.

Hockey is entertainment. If they aren't even going to put effort into games, then there's something else to do. What they did last year or the year before is irrelevant to this season. Entertain me or there's 500 other options. They don't have to win cups but they do have to be entertaining and play hard for more than 1 period. If they are just satified with winning the last two years and want to coast for a season, then I am satisfied too. Except I don't get paid so I'm gonna do something else.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At best right now they are the eighth best team in the East, and that's being generous. TB, TOR, CBJ, NYR, NYI, WASH, NJ are all better and the Pens are in the next tier. BOS may be better too

The worst part is not only are we losing but Sid, Geno , Phil are playing 20+ minutes a night. Geno played 24 the previous game. Ideally, they should be playing 17-19 minutes. They are being worn out early in the year for no reason. It's not helping and no one else can step up

Reactions: vodeni

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At best right now they are the eighth best team in the East, and that's being generous. TB, TOR, CBJ, NYR, NYI, WASH, NJ are all better and the Pens are in the next tier. BOS may be better too

The worst part is not only are we losing but Sid, Geno , Phil are playing 20+ minutes a night. Geno played 24 the previous game. Ideally, they should be playing 17-19 minutes. They are being worn out early in the year for no reason. It's not helping and no one else can step up

I think Sheahan is proving he's not able to aptly man the minutes needed to help take the burden off of Sid and Geno. Hopefully JR has a minor miracle up his sleeve.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
agDSpzv.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Hf logic... Lose two games... Blow the team up, not watching until they win a a few in a row. Kunitz is bad.. Tough loss... 40sog and only 1 went in

Shitty shots on goal are still shitty. Wtf is your point about shot totals? They've put up over 40 in many games. We score like one goal. Scoring is up ACROSS the league. Those teams aren't putting up 90SOG and we aren't playing Vezina winners every week.

Logical conclusion: this team takes fluff shots from too far out or bad angles.

They rely on PP goals..Which FINALLY we have a deadly PP again. And one and done speed rushes off stretch passes. That's a recipe for losing.

Not as good as last season or the season before. However, we're pretty spoiled. Two cups in a row... People already saying they won't watch games anymore? C'mon lol. I'll always believe there's some who prefer the team to lose so they will have something to complain about.

See below.

Hockey is entertainment. If they aren't even going to put effort into games, then there's something else to do. What they did last year or the year before is irrelevant to this season. Entertain me or there's 500 other options. They don't have to win cups but they do have to be entertaining and play hard for more than 1 period. If they are just satified with winning the last two years and want to coast for a season, then I am satisfied too. Except I don't get paid so I'm gonna do something else.

Yup!

To be fair we've had some struggles at different points in previous seasons and still won the cup.

True. But the STINK is bad here. You can just see there is nothing positive except our goaltending.

Our defense look like peewee kids watching a puck. Our forwards are on whatever page they are on. The positioning and movement on and off the puck by everyone is insane. This hockey team is one of the worst at hockey right now.

Only overwhelming raw talent of like five superstar players means we aren't worse than ARI.

I could understand being beat but being in position and making safe, smart passes and plays off the boards. But they aren't even doing that. Coupled with a lack of talent in the bottom six and lazy talent in the top six and I greatly disagree that this schedule slump is anything like the last two years.

We aren't a Daley away from being effective.

Edit: here..you know how BIG of a difference that is..check the average shot distance. The pens were 10 feet worse..wow..
Screenshot_20171211-214739.png
Screenshot_20171211-214745.png

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Schultz making a miracle recovery would go a long ways toward helping us.

Yeah Schultz would help. We have a lot of holes though. They might not all be huge issues but it’s like death by 1000 cuts. Things depend on other things.

no offense from the bottom six = top 6 playing more minutes, wears them out especially with the amount of hockey we’ve played, less time attacking, more strain on the D who aren’t built for that, less tough match ups for the opposition (unlike an offensively charged top 9).

Less offense from top six = sully plays them more to get them to score, stacks the lines to make up for it, doesn’t trust the bottom 6 as much, Letang plays more minutes to try and help the offense.

Skating from the D = Letang’s recovery and losing Daley. They were the only 2 that could really skate their way out of trouble. Now I wouldn’t want Daley back but better skating on D would help. Letang whether it’s his decision making or still recovering is a little off with his skating.

Our lines seem off too much of the time. Sometimes we will see good pressure and extended O zone time but more often than not it’s coming in turned over and going out.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I came into this season content and thinking that it doesn't matter what happens in the playoffs as long as I get to watch another season of exciting Penguins hockey. I guess I get neither.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think Reaves is a luxury that we can't afford at this point. We need to sit him in favor of a guy like Archie or DiPauli and see if we can get something from the 4th (or at least until a move is made.) Obviously Simon needs to stay in over Kuhn.

And it feels like they need to start from scratch, like when Sully first took over. Just drill the basics into their heads every day and progress from there. When is the bye week?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We could use another forward who lives between the dots. Be a nice complement to Phil and Geno. A guy like Colin Wilson would do far more good for this team than Carl Hagelin. And obviously someone more dangerous than Sheahan at center.

Beyond that, I don't see a ton of holes on this team.

Frustrating to watch, but a little adversity is fine by me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Schultz making a miracle recovery would go a long ways toward helping us.

People seem to have mission creeped back to talking about wingers, but Schultz and, frankly, Trevor Daley would help way more than anybody who plays wing.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This is a bad loss for the simple fact that everyone in the division has games in hand over us. Hopefully they get hot at the end of the year and carry it to the postseason. I think that scenario is the best chance we have at a 3 peat. But they can't fall too far behind at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad