Post-Game Talk: Avalanche 2, Penguins 1 - The Penguins are Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think JR and Sully had hopes this roster would string wins together but ultimately know this could've been the result.

Where do you go from here when other GM's are gonna hand you anvils and deplete your depth for minimal returns...?

For me(as JR), i have 2 Cups in the back pocket and don't chase it this season specifically. Stick to wanting bigger impact players and fair trades.

BUT you gotta get some more energy in the group. Theres kids on the farm that can contribute. It's time to shake it up that way at the very least.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If the teams below us won their games to equal our total games played we’d be above the following:
Arizona
Buffalo
Edmonton
Florida

That is all!
And Detroit. And Ottawa

Look, I'll agree, it looks terrible. But games in hand aren't games won. We've had a tough start to the season, Niemi, the bottom six, the back to back messes. We've been bad but we're not a bottom feeder.

Add my vote to the "if we're making a trade. get someone young and fast" vote. No band aid vets. Not until this team can get its shit together with what hey have

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As I said a few weeks ago, JR should be feeling the urgency to make a move in early December. That urgency should still be there.

Reactions: KIRK

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
I don't know what everyone else is watching but there is no silver lining in a loss on home ice to the avalanche. It's not even like those 40 shots were particularly good chances, lots of garbage. The thing that gets to me the most is how much the blueline flat out sucks, I honestly don't think any of them are particularly good and none of them serve the team in transition what so ever, and more than half of them have no idea what to do with the puck once they get it from a forward in the offensive zone. Letang is the best of them and I think even he has far too many lapses in his defensive play.

I'm also glad we've gone back to barely scoring. I'm so happy Sullivan decided to blow up the lines after one period against the Islanders where we out shot them 19-5. He's definitely wearing thin on me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, looks like they're gonna back into the playoffs. I can't see them missing the playoffs with the players they have, but the team (as a whole) looks to be spinning it's tires.

I could see them missing the playoffs with the current iterations of the players they have.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And Detroit. And Ottawa

Look, I'll agree, it looks terrible. But games in hand aren't games won. We've had a tough start to the season, Niemi, the bottom six, the back to back messes. We've been bad but we're not a lottery team.

It probably is if those games are against us ;)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Very disappointing. I am sure some of it is just not having legs after how much hockey they've played in 2+ years. I get it. Fair argument. The hunger isn't there. The passion isn't there. We already knew the lineup wasn't playoff ready, but to have everything else take center stage... it's bad.

It's not even fun to watch. The one great thing is that yinzers are selling their lower bowl tickets for less than 50 bucks so i'll be attending a lot of games for cheap. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Not as good as last season or the season before. However, we're pretty spoiled. Two cups in a row... People already saying they won't watch games anymore? C'mon lol. I'll always believe there's some who prefer the team to lose so they will have something to complain about.

Thankful for the Cups, but that doesn't mean that fans can't be disappointed by how poorly this team has been playing.

Reactions: Angrrus and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know what everyone else is watching but there is no silver lining in a loss on home ice to the avalanche. It's not even like those 40 shots were particularly good chances, lots of garbage. The thing that gets to me the most is how much the blueline flat out sucks, I honestly don't think any of them are particularly good and none of them serve the team in transition what so ever, and more than half of them have no idea what to do with the puck once they get it from a forward in the offensive zone. Letang is the best of them and I think even he has far too many lapses in his defensive play.

I'm also glad we've gone back to barely scoring. I'm so happy Sullivan decided to blow up the lines after one period against the Islanders where we out shot them 19-5. He's definitely wearing thin on me.

I remember when people told me in the off season we had a top five defense in the league and probably the best group of defensemen 1-6.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Tomorrow marks 2 years of Sully with us. Time to make that date even specialer with a big trade.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Very disappointing. I am sure some of it is just not having legs after how much hockey they've played in 2+ years. I get it. Fair argument. The hunger isn't there. The passion isn't there. We already knew the lineup wasn't playoff ready, but to have everything else take center stage... it's bad.

It's not even fun to watch. The one great thing is that yinzers are selling their lower bowl tickets for less than 50 bucks so i'll be attending a lot of games for cheap. :laugh:

More money for footwear too . . .

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I could see them missing the playoffs with the current iterations of the players they have.

eh... I think someone in the organization will get JR to 'improve' the roster (or make sure a flawed roster qualifies).

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This was just a debilitating loss. Harry was magnificent again. Simon looked good, reminded me of those youthful faces the last two seasons that gave this team such a lift. They looked hungry, worked their socks off in the corners.

It really does feel like this is a "players only meeting" moment Or Rutherford is going to make a roster move. Vegas won't be fun the way they're playing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
eh... I think someone in the organization will get JR to 'improve' the roster (or make sure a flawed roster qualifies).

JR isn't sitting on his hands by choice. That much I do know. There's just no real market, ALTHOUGH as I keep saying:

IF JR were willing to appreciate that he shouldn't need more than 1 hand to count his untouchables, then I'm sure he could find himself a good hockey trade or two.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Another thing that needs to be said is that this is the SAME thing we did last year. We just had two centers to shore it up when Crosby and Malkin got locked out of the zone like the Avs did the last period.

Anyone that didn’t see how a two line team was an issue in today’s NHL after two years of cups won on the back of depth was just arrogant as f***.

Reactions: EightyOne

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Thankful for the Cups, but that doesn't mean that fans can't be disappointed by how poorly this team has been playing.
I can live with losing. I can't live with watching the shit fest on ice that occurs on a nightly basis. The bad stretch passes, the turnovers, and the constant breakaways have nothing to do with playing a lot of hockey. They just aren't very good this year, whether that is the system or personnel, it's got to change. People talk about the urgency to get a 3C, forget that. This team needs defensemen who can actually play this system. It's embarrassing watching them when we have the type of personnel in the forward group that we have. They're just so bleh.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This was the time to make hay, unfortunately they failed on that front miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad