AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Two questions, how is Liam Maaskant playing tonight for Acadia after getting a fighting major last night? Is he appealing it? :huh:

Question 2, how were there only 2 fighting majors, there were more than that throwing punches with gloves off? Lots of 10 min misconducts..

Turns out that in the AUS if one player gets an instigator in a fight, the other player doesn't get the automatic game suspension. He still serves his penalty minutes, but in this case of course the game was already over.

I guess they want to protect someone who is jumped in a fight. But when I watched the video, it looked like Maaskant was third man in after Thompson was jumped, and then turtled. So I don't see how Maaskant is "victim".

I was also told that anyone who picked up their 2nd 10 minute misconduct of the game in the brawl would automatically get a game misconduct, and will be suspended next game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There were so many "Mickey Mouse" calls among all those penalties that penalty calls didn't seem to mean a thing after a while. However,4 PP goals and great penalty killing certainly helped UNB in their win.
The undisciplined showboating in PEI carried over to Trask in the pre-game and to misconduct penalties for Acadia in the 3rd. Not really a great performance tonight by Acadia when they had a chance to gain ground in the standings!

Acadia got a lot bigger this year, but they haven't got any classier.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Didn't know about that rule, sounds strange. I still have an issue with only two majors being handed out, I watched the video again, and there are at least 3-4 on each team swinging with no gloves on.

Also watched Betz hit on Cooper again, I suspect that will be a suspension as well. That was pretty nasty. I was surprised that they even let them shake hands at the end of the game. :sarcasm:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think that I found it in the UNB twitter feed. neither UNB or Acadia would leave the ice, so I guess they stayed on the ice while the zambonis cleaned the ice...I have never heard or seen that before

Correct - Petgrace and Boudens play rock-paper-sissors when they leave as their little game to decide who is the last one off.

In this case, an Acadia player wouldn't leave the ice (Liam Maaskant I think) and chose to stay on the ice and leaned on the boards by his far bench door.

In the mean time Petgrave and Boudens just waited.

They stayed this way for 20min (through the zamboni cleaning) until the teams came back on the ice and through the national anthem. Once the Acadia player too his seat on the bench - Petgrave and Boudens did their thing and sat down.

Totally 'classless' on the part of the Acadia player. Burns should have come and gotten him. You don't disrespect the home team that way and not on a memorial night.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Totally 'classless' on the part of the Acadia player. Burns should have come and gotten him. You don't disrespect the home team that way and not on a memorial night.

That is pretty classless both on Liam Maaskant and Burns for not making him come in.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Sorry, even worse, wasn't Trask the one who started the dust up in PEI on friday night, with his post shoot out goal celebration?

Trask didn't shoot in the shootout.

It was Harper who went down on one knee in front of the Panthers bench when he scored the tying goal late in the 3rd...I think that is what kind of started it. He didn't do anything after scoring in the shootout though.

Thompson did the "hand to ear" to the crowd after scoring the winner. Looks like Zinkan tried to twist Thompson's arm during the hanshake line, which set off everything else.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Sorry, even worse, wasn't Trask the one who started the dust up in PEI on friday night, with his post shoot out goal celebration?

Sorry, went back and looked at the video and it is Thompson who did the hand to the ear gesture that I was thinking that might have started everything.

Regardless, with the dust up in PEI, the not coming off of the ice, and then Betz hit, Acadia made themselves look like *$$es this weekend.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting to see what the teams do over the break regarding recruiting. Rumour is that there is a good chance Aaron Berisha ends up in the AUS.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
You mean he isn't going to the OUA? :sarcasm:

Would be a huge pickup for whatever team nets him.

Victor Findlay ‏@Finder_24 Dec 2
Aaron Berisha is very close to final decision. High chance it's in the AUS. Doesn't sound like he lands with UPEI.

Obviously he won't be going to UPEI, they have used their 22 roster spots, more than likely he will go to a NS school if he comes to the AUS. Don't see him going to Moncton, and even though they have a spot, don't see him landing at UNB. I am thinking either going to X or Acadia...but who knows..

Statter

Dec 4, 2016
Correct - Petgrace and Boudens play rock-paper-sissors when they leave as their little game to decide who is the last one off.

In this case, an Acadia player wouldn't leave the ice (Liam Maaskant I think) and chose to stay on the ice and leaned on the boards by his far bench door.

In the mean time Petgrave and Boudens just waited.

They stayed this way for 20min (through the zamboni cleaning) until the teams came back on the ice and through the national anthem. Once the Acadia player too his seat on the bench - Petgrave and Boudens did their thing and sat down.

If you actually watched the game last weekend at Acadia you would have noticed that the same thing happened with 2 UNB and players and Trask not leaving the Acadia home ice. Except in that situation, the UNB players finally left, then Trask left and then it was the UNB players who jumped back on to the ice. Know your facts before you start calling names and classless.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If you actually watched the game last weekend at Acadia you would have noticed that the same thing happened with 2 UNB and players and Trask not leaving the Acadia home ice. Except in that situation, the UNB players finally left, then Trask left and then it was the UNB players who jumped back on to the ice. Know your facts before you start calling names and classless.

If true - then it's classless on both teams. Such gamesmanship isn't needed. Acadia won the game despite UNB's pre-game shenanigans and they had a chance to take the high road and chose not to.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

Watched the game and didn't see that and there was zero mention of it on the broadcast, not saying that it didn't happen, just no one mentioned it. If it was done, then it was also disrespectful, but for him to do it during the Mark Jeffery Memorial game? And given the teams actions in PEI and at UNB, seems they are making a reputation for themselves.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The only article I found on the Panthers -Axemen game last Friday was on the Axemen website. No mention of the brawl at all. I was looking forward to reading some details. Some quotes from the players and coaching staff.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The only article I found on the Panthers -Axemen game last Friday was on the Axemen website. No mention of the brawl at all. I was looking forward to reading some details. Some quotes from the players and coaching staff.

Probably not something that either team is proud of and would rather that it is forgotten about quickly.

Wonder if there will be any sort of suspension to Betz for the hit on Cooper? I know that the AUS doesn't announce suspensions, so it might be a while before we hear anything given the Christmas break. :popcorn:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I haven't seen a game for the past 3 weeks as I've been away. But, I would caution people against throwing words like "classless" around. In the past I've seen several players from different teams do the stay-on-the-ice-thing. I find it amusing to watch who will give up first. It's just gamesmanship and is not meant to disrespect anyone.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Nah. I've tried to watch the end of the game but it won't load in archives. You can "expect" players to get upset after losing 7 straight and see a guy "hotdog" after scoring. But if you don't want to get upset, try winning a few games. This will all blow over until next time.

I've never been a fan of handshakes at the end of every game. These teams see each other 5 times a season. I'm wouldn't be surprised if we see more incidents like this. Plus, it takes away the significance of handshakes at the end of the playoff series.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was pretty much ready to pencil in STFX and Acadia as the two AUS teams to join UNB at the Nationals this year. Now SMU has added Aaron Berisha. I don't know if it will be enough but it will definitely be a battle between these three teams.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Bowes out for the season?

Not able to confirm this at the moment, but hearing the Corbin Bowes has a broken ankle and is gone for the remainder of the season. No idea what or how anything happened.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No other AUS teams with Xmas break exhibition games? I wonder if that has to do with the new limit the AUS put on exhibition games?

You would think a couple of them would at least try to play one another before the regular season starts back up to get the rust off. Hopefully it gives UNB a bit of an edge this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad