AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well a new season is upon us in a few days.

Off-season highlights/changes & other stuff:
- 30 game season (longest in the CIS): play each team 5 times, 3-2 splits in year one will be 2-3 split in year two
- Overtime is now 5min (after a 3min rest)
- Overtime is now 3-on-3
- 'pulling the goalie" in OT (to created a 4-on-3) will result in losing the point awarded for a OTL if they give up an EN goal.
- Top 6 teams advance to the Playoffs with the top 2 seeds getting first round byes (so one team is left out)

Other Things you may not know:
- All teams must have last names on both home and away uniforms.
- first semester (October to December), teams must wear light colors at home
- second semester (January to February), teams must wear dark colors at home
- AUS playoff games, teams must wear light colors at home
- The SUBWAY Player of the Game shall be awarded to the first star and announced as the first star and SUBWAY Player of the Game
- The minimum official standards for Atlantic University Sport men’s hockey: Referee – Level V or Level VI & Lines – Level IV

Don't forget to place your predictions [here]

Game 1 is Wed. Oct. 5th: UdeM hosting UPEI

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UPEI with 7-5 win in season opener. Moncton's big guns of the Saulnier twins and Plante put up 14 points in the losing cause...a combination I can see being quite frequent this year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I didn't know that Lemay had graduated. Les Aigles are going to have to rely on Thibeau as their number one. They didn't have the best recruiting class either. Tigers might have a real chance of beating them out for that last playoff spot.

Also read that Darcy Ashley left the Panthers.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS had its first every 3 on 3 overtime game tonight in UPEI's 4-3 shootout win over UNB. Unlike in Canada West where they do five minutes of 4 on 4 then five minutes of 3 on 3 the AUS is just doing five minutes of 3 on 3 then going straight to the shootout. Not a fan of it myself. I am fine with the 4 on 4 but 3 on 3 barely resembles what I would call regular hockey. More like shinny. IMHO

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It was pretty boring. Should have just stuck to the 10 minute, 4 on 4.

I don't mind having just 5 min. These are student athletes after all. It is just the 3 on 3 that I don't like. In tonight's game the players seemed really tentative. No way you would throw a bodycheck as it might put you out of position.

In the other games X beat Acadia and Dal upset SMU. The Huskies off to an 0-2 start.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I forgot that the season had started, so I better post my observations on both SMU games I watched. ACA 4 SMU 1. The game was closer than the score would indicate. SMU had a decent 1st period and gave up a goal on a huge rebound by Cheveldave. ACA had the better of the 2nd and had the edge in the 3rd also. SMU made several "minor" mistakes and ACA took advantage of most. The Huskies were not able to capitalize on the few times ACA screwed up. Was very impressed with Betz of ACA and liked Williams in goal. Both he and Chevy played very well.

DAL 3 SMU 1. Was looking for a bounce back from the night before. SMU looked very tentative while DAL played with some measure of confidence. SMU was always only one shot away from tying the score but had no finish. Good win for DAL.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Attendance was pretty bad for the opening weekend. I hope it is just because everyone had Blue Jays fever right now because it could be a troubling sign.

UNB's attendance was announced as 2000 but it was closer to 1000 actual fans in the building. STFX only had a measly 352 fans to see their banner raising. Moncton and PEI were lower than usual as well.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Even in Ontario, Lakehead was around 1700 for both games vs Manitoba.
Could be lots of factors, but a weak team and poor recruiting is probably the main reason.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, this is the first time I can remember that the AUS has started the season on thanksgiving weekend. Thanks for the 30 game schedule they have started a week earlier than usual.

I remember going to the CIS final in Halifax back in March. Thousands of X supporters at that game. Yet, only 300+ for their season opener. It's too bad.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Les Aigles with their first win of the year beating the Panthers 3-2 in ot. This is surprising considering how both teams had played so far. Panthers have some great recruits and might have a chance of finally breaking through. Les Aigles had a poor recruiting year and will definitely be last in the league in goals against this year. Even if they do manage to steal the last playoff spot.

Dal with back to back wins over SMU. Not sure when's the last time that happened. Huskies tied with Les Aigles for last place in the AUS. Though I am sure that will change.

X rookie Chase Marchand making a case for the starting goaltending job after making 41 saves in their win against Acadia. X should be fine in the goaltending department after Owsley's departure.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU 4 ACA 1

This game was decided in a 14 second span in the 3rd period. Give the edge to ACA in the 1st as they pressed SMU but couldn't score. SMU scored twice in the middle frame but ACA still had several good chances but were turned away by Cheveldave who had a strong game as did Devin Williams at the other end.
McNalty put the Axemen with one goal early in the 3rd, but Latour restored the 2 goal lead and as he fought off an ACA defender on a partial breakaway and Burke put the game out of reach with a short-handed breakaway of his own 14 seconds later.
Like a lot of games in the AUS, the score is not indicative of the game itself. ACA had every chance to win as they played even and at times outplayed SMU. Poor rebound clearing and D-zone coverage allowed Alex Cord to score from the top of the circle for SMU's 2nd goal. Lack of attention to detail allowed SMU to get 2 breakaways and score on both.
ACA was without rookies Harper and Betz while SMU were missing Brooks and Gillard, while Weller made his 1st appearance of the season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So the CIS is changing to U Sports?? That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard...sounds bush league IMO. Teams will now be competing for the U Sports University Cup and the U Sports Vanier Cup? It just sounds amateurish.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So the CIS is changing to U Sports?? That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard...sounds bush league IMO. Teams will now be competing for the U Sports University Cup and the U Sports Vanier Cup? It just sounds amateurish.

I thought there was no space between the 'U' and Sports for USports?

The shortform is US as in 'it's all about us'.

So wouldn't it be the US University Cup?

I understand the push to have a single name and acronym, but it seems a bit 'generalized'.

I was thinking the announcement was something a lot larger like CIS sports, sorry USports teams, would be carried weekly on a Canadian Amateur Sports channel or something. A new logo doesn't strike me as a big deal.

I liked the original CIS swoosh of all the logos. (CIAU International-FISU, CIAU and first generation CIS logo)

hfb_ciau-cis.jpg

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Crazy night in the AUS. Moncton upsets SMU. UPEI scores 7 in their win over X. And UNB needs a shootout to beat Dal.

Note - Max Iafrate got a game misconduct for X so he will probably miss the UNB game on Saturday.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wild one at the AUC tonight, from the glass smash to the come back shootout win. I can see why Dal is not in last place, they play hard, have speed and a solid looking goaltender!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Didn't think that he should have gotten the original penalty (the second one he probably deserved) and when the glass shattered, Magoo had to make the call! Don't think that it warranted a game though, thought it would have been a ten minute misconduct, unless it was because he had already had a 10 min misconduct.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I take back my comment...I didn't realize he took a baseball swing to the glass. I didn't see it and just thought he butt-ended the glass with his stick. In that case then yes, that second penalty was deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->