AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Not able to confirm this at the moment, but hearing the Corbin Bowes has a broken ankle and is gone for the remainder of the season. No idea what or how anything happened.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a rumor, but sense that AUS Fan wouldn't have mentioned it without it being true :( I have no idea who their backup is, but he will have some big shoes to fill. More than likely this will sink any hopes of making it to the playoffs :(

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Confirmed. He broke his ankle New Year's eve. That's all I know.

Well that sucks for Dal. Hoping it wasn't an incident like a couple of years ago that happened to the UNB player (can't remember who it was now right now) just before Nationals.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well that sucks for Dal. Hoping it wasn't an incident like a couple of years ago that happened to the UNB player (can't remember who it was now right now) just before Nationals.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

It was Shayne Wiebe. He had 5+7=12pts in 11 games and 3+5=8 in 6 playoff games before busting up his ankle in an off ice incident prior to Nationals (at UNB).

That loss didn't hurt UNB as much as this loss will be for DAL.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
It was Shayne Wiebe. He had 5+7=12pts in 11 games and 3+5=8 in 6 playoff games before busting up his ankle in an off ice incident prior to Nationals (at UNB).

That loss didn't hurt UNB as much as this loss will be for DAL.

No I suspect that the loss will hurt DAL much more. Did Wiebe come back the next year, my memory says that he didn't return or left during the season the following year, but my memory is not the best.

Side note, under the weather tonight, so decided to stay home and watch on Fibe TV, do they use the web cams for their broadcast, the picture quality is horrible, for a company that boasts the best picture quality in the business, this is horrible. Hate to say it, Rogers broadcast was 10 times better than this and that was years ago...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
No I suspect that the loss will hurt DAL much more. Did Wiebe come back the next year, my memory says that he didn't return or left during the season the following year, but my memory is not the best.

Side note, under the weather tonight, so decided to stay home and watch on Fibe TV, do they use the web cams for their broadcast, the picture quality is horrible, for a company that boasts the best picture quality in the business, this is horrible. Hate to say it, Rogers broadcast was 10 times better than this and that was years ago...

He didn't. He returned to the AHL that fall, and played 12 games for the St John's IceCaps. he's now playing for an Italian team in the Alps league.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

That's surprising to hear. The Dal/Acadia game they did earlier this year from the Forum was great.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Can anyone tell me what's happened to Kyle Farrell who been missing from the Acadia lineup the last several games?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Didn't see any of the games tonight but some interesting notes.

-Berisha scores with overtime winner against UNB for SMU. I think this was his first game. (might be wrong).

-Looks like another rough one between UPEI and Acadia. Another rare fighting major. Going to have to watch this one when it become available on the archives.

-Moncton defeats Dal to move two points ahead of them for the last playoff spot. With the loss of Boes I can't see the Tigers coming back.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB-SMU was a very good game by both teams. Saw the boxscore on ACA-UPEI. Looks like some bad blood developing or just being down a bunch of goals in the third. Will see what happens at SMU Sat night.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Thanks Rob. I had never heard about any injury.

In the SMU / UNB game the officials probably got the right call on the hit on Duffy but only after a play stoppage and an officials conference. With two refs there was no original penalty call somehow!

Then in OT when Maillet tried to cut in front of the net it looked like he was checked into Marchand and Maillet was given a goaltender interference penalty. It reminded me of Emelin checking Hyman into Carey Price. Usually, the wrong player is penalized.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The SMU announcers thought the Maillet penalty was baffling....same with the no-call late in the game when Caissy (I think) took a stick up high and was down on the ice for a bit.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was at the UNB end of the rink and couldn't see the interference call clearly, but I agree that it could have gone the other way. It's a coin toss, I guess.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal keep their playoff hopes alive with a 5-4 win over Moncton. Les Aigles holds a two point lead. Both with seven games left. Les Aigles holds the tiebreaker.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good win for Dal. UdeM took a few bad penalties and there may have been a few that were iffy calls. They had their chances but Fancy made a couple of great saves. I'll be making the UNB-UPEI road trip with SMU this weekend. Looking forward to a couple of good games.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Burke is out for the season, Gillard is still out, Duffy (from the Brace hit) is questionable. Cord should be suspended one game from his Major against UPEI on Sat night. I'm bringing my gear just in case.....:laugh:

Edit: Duffy is a no-go for sure. Cord is not suspended, so he will play Friday. Stieny told me to leave my gear home. Said not a chance I'll get in a game.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Pretty big week/weekend for Dal, with wins over both Moncton and St FX, and then St Fx doing them a favour by beating Moncton. Two tough losses for SMU. Two wins for UNB which secures a first round bye for them.

Should be interesting to watch Dal and Moncton battle for the last playoff position. Actually, given this is the AUS, you just never know who might miss that last playoff spot, SMU, UPEI, Moncton and Dal are all within 4 points.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Aus

UNB a lock and Acadia looking as the second bye team with 6 games left.
X solidly in third, but a battle between Moncton, UPEI and Dal.
Panthers with a 2 pt lead in the standings with 6 games left.
Moncton and Dal have the army once, while the Panthers have two meetings left with the V-Reds.
Acadia with a better effort against UNB in an o.t loss Saturday.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
St Mary's - Dal (1 home - 1 away), StFx (2 away), Acadia (home), Moncton (home)
Dalhousie - St Mary's (1 home - 1 away), Acadia (1 Away - 1 Home), UPEI (home), UNB (home)
Moncton - UPEI (2 away), UNB (2 home), Acadia (away), St Mary's (away)
UPEI - Moncton (2 home), UNB (2 away), Dal (away), St Fx (away)

I am not sure who has the easiest remaining schedule, I might say that UPEI has the hardest only because 4 of their last six games are on the road, 2 being vs UNB in Fredericton. But so does Moncton, 4 of their last 6 are on the road as well.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
St Mary's - Dal (1 home - 1 away), StFx (2 away), Acadia (home), Moncton (home)
Dalhousie - St Mary's (1 home - 1 away), Acadia (1 Away - 1 Home), UPEI (home), UNB (home)
Moncton - UPEI (2 away), UNB (2 home), Acadia (away), St Mary's (away)
UPEI - Moncton (2 home), UNB (2 away), Dal (away), St Fx (away)

I am not sure who has the easiest remaining schedule, I might say that UPEI has the hardest only because 4 of their last six games are on the road, 2 being vs UNB in Fredericton. But so does Moncton, 4 of their last 6 are on the road as well.

Moncton has lost all 3 games to UNB so far.
9-0
9-2
9-1

That's 27-3 folks.
They play UNB 2 more times:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad