AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Roster Caps

With the Christmas break approaching here's where everyone sits with respect to the roster cap. The number of roster spots used is the number of skaters that have played a regular season game this year. In brackets I've listed any skaters on the roster that have not played in a game yet. Obviously these spots could still potentially be used by a new recruit.

Acadia - 20 roster spots used (Kris Hodge, Chris Clark)
Dal - 21 roster spots used (Patrick Arnold, Steven Johnston)
Moncton - 18 roster spots used (Luc Eagle, Sebastien Gauthier)
SMU - 20 roster spots used (Mark Triccett)
STFX - 20 roster spots used (Cody Hendsbee)
UNB - 21 roster spots used (Peter Trainor)
UPEI - 22 roster spots used

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm guessing here, but feel that Trainor will not play this year. He supposedly has a heel injury from last season. That will leave a spot for a minor pro guy who hates long bus rides.

SMU may be in the market for a D-man, but would have to be a great fit long term.

Is DAL waiting for Moynihan, I wonder?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching a bit of the Dal/Acadia gam....looks like Dal has upgraded their production quality quite a bit as the arena looks way brighter than I ever remember and they have multiple camera angles. Big time improvement as I thought they had, arguably, the worst webcast in the AUS in terms of production quality.

EDIT - I think this game was broadcast on TV, hence the better quality.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
EDIT - I think this game was broadcast on TV, hence the better quality.

It was on Bell last night, they are featuring a Friday night hockey game each week and a basketball game on Saturday night.

Dal looked like the old Dal last night, I guess they go as their goaltender goes. It was an interesting night, SMU beats StFX and Moncton takes out UPEI. Got me to thinking, how much of these results are due to parity in the league or just inconsistency? With the exception of UNB, no one has been really consistent, and UNB didn't start out the best.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Got me to thinking, how much of these results are due to parity in the league or just inconsistency? With the exception of UNB, no one has been really consistent, and UNB didn't start out the best.

I don't know if it the parity or inconsistency...but what I do know is you can almost give UNB the regular season title now with every other team having at least 5 regulation losses.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I don't know if it the parity or inconsistency...but what I do know is you can almost give UNB the regular season title now with every other team having at least 5 regulation losses.

Still games left to be played, so I wouldn't hand it to them just yet. I know that they are on a roll right now, but I think keeping focused might be their biggest issue for the second half of the season. But I am sure that they want nothing more to keep "Irene" in Freddy for another year.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
What's going on in Antigonish? First they lose 5-1 at home to SMU and then lose tonight to Dal 2-0? Injuries or slumping?

Looks like they ran into a hot goalie - 49 shots (vs 27 for DAL) and 0-9 on the PP.

As for the SMU game - they had 41 shots, but gave up 36 and were 0-6 on the PP.

That's 0-15 on the PP in two games - not good. Their PP% has dropped to 20%, but had they been able to do that over the two games they would have scored 3 more goals. You can't go 0-15.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Corbin Boes again. I would hate to be the team that has to face Dal in the best of three.

An AUS coach told me one time that you have to get to Boes early, because if he gets into a groove he is really hard to beat.

I watched the first period until the glass broke, and then online again for the third period. The post saved Boes once, but X wasn't getting enough traffic in front of him. Sometimes you have to score ugly goals to beat him.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The last time Moncton were in town, one of their coaches asked me: "how do we beat this team?" I told him: "work harder than they do and get bodies to the net." They didn't do that and lost. While I haven't seen every DAL game this year, I've only seen Boes get beat once by a shot he could see and that was a laser....
If he sees the shot, he makes the save.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia hands UNB their first regulation loss of the season 2-1. White Robert Steeves had an outstanding game for the Axemen the VReds were very ineffective on the power play going 0 for 12. Probably their worst game of the season so far.

SMU beats UPEI 6-3. Huskies continue to improve while the Panthers continue to decline.

Moncton beats Dal 4-2. Huge win for Les Aigles. They are just one point back of the Panthers for the last playoff spot.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Brawl broke out during the handshakes between the Panthers and Axemen. I had noticed quite a bit of jawing between the Axemen players and the Panthers' bench during the third period. Nothing out of the ordinary. Axemen Stephen Harper scored the tying goal and hot dogged in from of the Panthers bench which they tool notice too. When Brett Thompson scored the winning shootout goal he did the same thing (although away from the bench). During the handshakes Bobby Zinkan twisted Thompson's arm. Turned into a bit of a gathering when the refs ordered both teams to the dressing room. Then one of the Panthers knocked Thompson down on his fanny and an all out brawl ensued. Should be available on archives either later tonight or tomorrow.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Brawl broke out during the handshakes between the Panthers and Axemen. I had noticed quite a bit of jawing between the Axemen players and the Panthers' bench during the third period. Nothing out of the ordinary. Axemen Stephen Harper scored the tying goal and hot dogged in from of the Panthers bench which they tool notice too. When Brett Thompson scored the winning shootout goal he did the same thing (although away from the bench). During the handshakes Bobby Zinkan twisted Thompson's arm. Turned into a bit of a gathering when the refs ordered both teams to the dressing room. Then one of the Panthers knocked Thompson down on his fanny and an all out brawl ensued. Should be available on archives either later tonight or tomorrow.

Good to see a former PM take up hockey and go back to school.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Huskies hung around until the third period, but let the strong defensive coverage get away and the end result was an 8-3 blowout. Garlent is very skilled, that's a great find for Steiny.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Great video showing everything.

Yup - I would expect Acadia to be short 2-3 maybe 4 guys tonight vs UNB. None of that happens if Thompson doesn't show-boat after the shootout goal though.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Great video showing everything.

Yup - I would expect Acadia to be short 2-3 maybe 4 guys tonight vs UNB. None of that happens if Thompson doesn't show-boat after the shootout goal though.

Two questions, how is Liam Maaskant playing tonight for Acadia after getting a fighting major last night? Is he appealing it? :huh:

Question 2, how were there only 2 fighting majors, there were more than that throwing punches with gloves off? Lots of 10 min misconducts..

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Trask tossed for whacking Beauvillier on his way to the penalty box to serve one.

Woodworth tossed for mouthing odd at the ref from the bench.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I think that I found it in the UNB twitter feed. neither UNB or Acadia would leave the ice, so I guess they stayed on the ice while the zambonis cleaned the ice...I have never heard or seen that before

UNB Varsity Reds ‏@VarsityReds 3h3 hours ago
HKY: Neither side willing to relent and be last off ice after warm-up... players from @UNBHockey and @AcadiaAthletics remained thru flood.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
There were so many "Mickey Mouse" calls among all those penalties that penalty calls didn't seem to mean a thing after a while. However,4 PP goals and great penalty killing certainly helped UNB in their win.
The undisciplined showboating in PEI carried over to Trask in the pre-game and to misconduct penalties for Acadia in the 3rd. Not really a great performance tonight by Acadia when they had a chance to gain ground in the standings!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad