AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Moncton - UPEI (2 away), UNB (2 home), Acadia (away), St Mary's (away)
UPEI - Moncton (2 home), UNB (2 away), Dal (away), St Fx (away)

UdeM has the hardest schedule. If you remove the 2 games vs UNB, they have to play #2 ACD and #4 SMU while UPEI has to play #3 SFX and #7 DAL.

The two(2) head-2-head games will likely be the determining factor on who gets 5th. DAL will need one of them to slip and get an upset (a win over SMU or ACD and they need the win over UPEI) if they want to get to 6th.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Was talking to an Aitken Centre employee today who said that they've sold roughly 1500 passes for the Nationals so far. Anyone remember how many they sold the last time around?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Be curious to see how many games Rices gets for that ugly hit on Thomas. Of course the AUS won't tell us though...

The AUS doesn't tell "us", but they do tell the coaches. Ask Gardiner what he gets. If Brace got 4 from the Duffy hit, what can you expect from this hit?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Was talking to an Aitken Centre employee today who said that they've sold roughly 1500 passes for the Nationals so far. Anyone remember how many they sold the last time around?

I thought they pretty much sold out the building just with passes....only selling a limited number of single game tickets on game day.

That doesn't seem like very many so far. I'd be curious to see where they are this year compared to other years at this same time.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The AUS doesn't tell "us", but they do tell the coaches. Ask Gardiner what he gets. If Brace got 4 from the Duffy hit, what can you expect from this hit?

AUS Fan is correct about AUS "reporting".

Hit was shoulder to jaw. Thomas lost some teeth. My guess would be at least 5 game suspension.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 4 SMU 3 - Huskies blew a 2 goal lead in the second half of the game. Axemen's game winner was a strange one. The Huskies thought a whistle had been blow so they stopped playing while the Axemen shot the puck into the net. Apparently it came from the crowd. The goal stood. To make matters worse for the Huskies Alex Cord received a 5min major for a head shot on Tyler Farrell. Most likely a suspension is coming leaving only 4 defensemen for their next their next game.

UNB 6 Moncton 3 - Only watched some of this. VReds did enough to win. Les Aigles managed to keep it close for the first time this season.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Acadia 4 SMU 3 - Huskies blew a 2 goal lead in the second half of the game. Axemen's game winner was a strange one. The Huskies thought a whistle had been blow so they stopped playing while the Axemen shot the puck into the net. Apparently it came from the crowd. The goal stood. To make matters worse for the Huskies Alex Cord received a 5min major for a head shot on Tyler Farrell. Most likely a suspension is coming leaving only 4 defensemen for their next their next game.

UNB 6 Moncton 3 - Only watched some of this. VReds did enough to win. Les Aigles managed to keep it close for the first time this season.

Was at the UNB-Moncton game, first period was all UNB, second period, Moncton had a good push back and the third was back and fourth.

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015

I found out pretty early this season just how difficult reporting general news from around the league can be. Not just in the AUS, but all across the country, suspension news is taboo for whatever reason. Some coaches don't care, others don't want it out there. From the league itself, I'll never get anything out of them.

The OJHL, CHL, BCHL, etc. all have places on their website where discipline news is readily available. I think it hurts the AUS/OUA/CWUAA to not publish this info.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I just don't understand, are they afraid that it would reflect badly on their product, sorta keep their heads in the sand and no one will notice the bad side of their league?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I just don't understand, are they afraid that it would reflect badly on their product, sorta keep their heads in the sand and no one will notice the bad side of their league?

My theory is that social media has gradually killed quality websites. In general, there is less content on a typical website (of any type) now than there was 5-10 years ago. Web designers sell them on "features" which give an illusion of content.

For example, the CIS site has been redesigned twice in recent years, most recently over the Christmas break to switch over to U Sports. In doing so they have reduced content each time. Right now, the archive for standings and schedules only goes back to 2009-10. IMO they would have been better off adding old archives and keeping the site they had in 2004.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I don't get it either...it should be available somewhere, even if they just bury it deep in the website where only people like us would think to look. But on the other hand, I guess if you do that you might as well not post it in the first place.

At the end of the day I think I find it ridiculous and annoying for purely selfish reasons.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I was down the Acadia end when that goal was scored and was certain I heard a whistle.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
AUS Fan is correct about AUS "reporting".

Hit was shoulder to jaw. Thomas lost some teeth. My guess would be at least 5 game suspension.

Just watched the hit on archive. Pretty obvious shoulder to head. Some would say "live by the sword, die by the sword", but that was a bad hit.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Personally, I don't think the AUS wants suspensions public reading material because of the inconsistency of decisions over the years.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just watched the hit on archive. Pretty obvious shoulder to head. Some would say "live by the sword, die by the sword", but that was a bad hit.

Say what you will, Thomas has only one 5 min major in his AUS career, and that was a fighting major. It was a dirty hit and deserves a suspension no matter who was on the receiving end of the hit.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Say what you will, Thomas has only one 5 min major in his AUS career, and that was a fighting major. It was a dirty hit and deserves a suspension no matter who was on the receiving end of the hit.

Uh, I didn't say that, but others have. But, to your point, even though he has only one major penalty, his game is "rough and tumble". Regardless, It was a bad hit and I would hope a long suspension is forthcoming.

Edit: I have asked a couple of coaches to let me know if/when they hear of suspensions from past weekend. I will pass info on IF I hear anything.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU's win over Moncton has them 1 pt back of X and puts Moncton in a tough position to make a playoff spot. Moncton has 3 games left and one is with UNB.
With Duffy in the lineup, I think SMU is as good as X or Acadia!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU's win over Moncton has them 1 pt back of X and puts Moncton in a tough position to make a playoff spot. Moncton has 3 games left and one is with UNB.
With Duffy in the lineup, I think SMU is as good as X or Acadia!

If Moncton doesn't make the playoffs, then I'm assuming you think DAL will?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad