AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal vs UNB 0-4 UdeM vs UNB 0-4
Dal vs UPEI 2-2 UdeM vs UPEI 3-1
Dal vs ACA 0-4 UdeM vs ACA 0-4
Dal vs SMU 2-2

Dal has to finish 1 point ahead of UdeM. Given their records against UNB and ACA, chalk up losses to those teams, leaving one game left for UdeM and two for Dal. All things being equal, to get a playoff spot Dal will need at least a point tonight against UPEI.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Things get a bit tighter for Dal after the loss tonight to UPEI. They still need a net +3 points over UdeM to get a playoff spot.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Things get a bit tighter for Dal after the loss tonight to UPEI. They still need a net +3 points over UdeM to get a playoff spot.

I hope they do. Ive been quietly cheering for Dal to make the post season for years, dating back to when Pete Beliveau took over he seemed to bring in some good talent those first 2 years and I thought every year after that they'd take the next step but never have.

I personally feel its important for Dal to make the Post season. Too many years not doing so can take a toll on a program (UCCB, Mount A & St Thomas)

I dont wanna see the AUS shrink any further

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The task got a bit harder with their loss to UNB tonight. They need 3 points in 2 games while UdeM gets none. UPEI has clinched a spot with the Dal loss tonight.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those keeping score on suspensions: Cord (SMU) and Gadoury (DAL) only received the automatic one game for a Major penalty. Rice (UPEI) received three games for his hit on Mike Thomas.

Unsure if the three games includes the automatic.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Dal vs UNB 0-4 UdeM vs UNB 0-4
Dal vs UPEI 2-2 UdeM vs UPEI 3-1
Dal vs ACA 0-4 UdeM vs ACA 0-4
Dal vs SMU 2-2

Dal has to finish 1 point ahead of UdeM. Given their records against UNB and ACA, chalk up losses to those teams, leaving one game left for UdeM and two for Dal. All things being equal, to get a playoff spot Dal will need at least a point tonight against UPEI.

After failing to register a point this weekend, Dal has pretty much sealed the coffin!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well, with 2 games left there are three(3) races left.

DAL vs UdeM for 6th.

It is possible for DAL to finish 6th, but they need some luck, hope and divine intervention.

UdeM has the tie-breaker, so DAL has to ...
a) get 3pts vs UdeM getting none
b) get 4pts vs UdeM getting 1.

UdeM needs a win and/or a loss by DAL and UdeM is 6th

I don't see DAL winning over ACD & SMU. Plus, SMU needs to win to try and catch SFX. Maybe one win, but not two. So I think we'll see DAL in 7th and UdeM in 6, maybe 5th.

UdeM vs UPEI for 5th

Once again, it's mathematically possible. Yes, UdeM is in an interesting spot, lose both and be out or win both and be in 5th. You gotta love parity.

UdeM has the tie-breaker over UPEI, but to reach 3pts they need at least 1pt in their game versus UNB and I don't see that happening with four loses already (9-0, 9-2, 9-1 & 6-3). If they pull that off, then they have to win on the island vs UPEI which isn't easy.

So, it's possible, but it looks like UdeM will be 6th and UPEI is 5th.

SFX vs SMU for 3rd

This is the most interesting battle.

SMU sites 3pts behind, but has the tie-breaker. So they need 3pt out of 4 with the first game of the weekend vs SFX. The next day they play DAL who may already be out and looking to play spoiler. The SMU/DAL record is 2-2 and given they both play out of the same building, I don't know if 'home ice' is an advance other than the change. With 3 or 4 points achieved, they need SFX to falter in their last game.

SFX has to play a hungry SMU on Friday than ACD on Saturday who have nothing to play for. If they win over SMU - it's all decided, but if they lose - they're on the road to ACD. Despite ACD being second in the AUS, SFX has a 4-0 record against them this season. So, if it gets this far - it will be interesting (SFX needing to win vs a team they have beaten 4 times vs a team that doesn't want to lose their last home game and go into the playoffs on a 5 game winning streak)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU injury update: Burke( severed Achilles ), Stavert ( ruptured spleen ), Hardie (Broken hand ), out for the season. Duffy ( concussion ), still not skating, may be ready for playoffs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With UdeM getting the loser point tonight Dal needs 2 wins and a loss for UdeM. Moncton can catch UPEI for 5th place with a regulation win on Saturday coupled with a UPEI loss on Friday.
SMU can catch SFX for 3rd place in a number of ways by out-pointing SFX by 3.

UdeM holds the tie-breaker over Dal and UPEI, SMU over SFX.

Friday night games should be fun.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
With UdeM getting the loser point tonight Dal needs 2 wins and a loss for UdeM. Moncton can catch UPEI for 5th place with a regulation win on Saturday coupled with a UPEI loss on Friday.
SMU can catch SFX for 3rd place in a number of ways by out-pointing SFX by 3.

UdeM holds the tie-breaker over Dal and UPEI, SMU over SFX.

Friday night games should be fun.

Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't realize Moncton still had a chance to finish 5th. Going to be hard to win in regulation of the island though.

SMU vs X should be the game of the night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Friday night games are done and there is no change in standings. SFX #3 vs UdeM #6 and SMU #4 vs UPEI #5. UNB #1 and ACA #2 with the 1st round byes and DAL #7 out of the playoffs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
X should have no problems handling Moncton.
SMU vs UPEI is the more interesting series. Huskies are obviously the more talented team but the Panthers can be very physical/dirty. Not sure how the injury situation is for the Huskies right now. Is Duffy expected back?

Interesting to note that the only two AUS teams to have scored more goals than had against are UNB and Acadia. I fully expect these two teams to be in the AUS final. X and Huskies should battle for the third sport at Nationals.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Rob:

SMU injury update: Burke( severed Achilles ), Stavert ( ruptured spleen ), Hardie (Broken hand ), out for the season. Duffy ( concussion ), still not skating, may be ready for playoffs.

Add Bateman who got a shoulder-to-face hit at SFX the other night. Not a dirty hit but a size mismatch. He should be ready to go. Right now, Duffy is the only guy who is a question mark.

UPEI are very physical and sometimes stupid.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI 7 SMU 2 - Panthers tie up the series. Brassard pulled for Huskies. Game 3 is Sunday.

STFX 4 Moncton 3 - No surprise that X sweeps. They will play Acadia in what should be a great series.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Why wouldn't the AUS alternate days of the playoff games? I know I would probably watch both series if I was able.

Games dates are not controlled/mandated by the league. Instead the home team proposes a game 1 and the visitor has to set the second game as either 1 or 2 days after and then the home team sets the 3rd game as 1-2 days after that (there has to be at least a 1 night game and no more than 2). Also, I think the first round had to be completed by Sunday (not sure) so the home team selecting Wednesday as the start forces them into a the schedule you have.

If the home team had selected Tues, then the visitor could have taken the 2 day gap.

For the 5 game series, the first and second pair of games are back-2-back with a 1 or 2 day break (as outlined previously).

This is outline in the AUS Playing Regulations for Hockey

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU 4 UPEI 3- What third period. Panthers pretty much dominated but SMU took advantage of their opportunities including the game winner with just 35 seconds left. Brassard played his best game that I've seen so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad