AUS 2016-17 Regular Season Thread ‎

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
LOL, it was homerun swing for sure, my issue was with the original penalty (diving), and I have no doubt that he said something that deserved the second penalty, and he definitely deserved the third penalty (but again, unless it was because he had an earlier 10 min, thought that a game wasn't deserved).

So I assume with the game misconduct, he will be out for tomorrow nights game vs StFX.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA 8 SMU 3

A barnburner in Wolfville. After a scoreless 1st period things picked up in the 2nd. SMU opened the scoring with a PP marker and then the Axemen got going. Farrell scored a shortie on a 2-on-1 with Fioretti who chipped the puck past the D-man at the ACA blue line and it was off to the races. Harper got a pair with Thompson sniping one. Fioretti closed out the period with their 5th goal.

I was thinking that Brassard might start the third, but Cheveldave was back in. SMU made it interesting by scoring twice to close the gap to 5-3. A bad play by Alex Cord resulted in him being stripped of the puck by Leier to make the score 6-3. ACA added 2 more to wrap up.

Things got a little feisty late in the 3rd resulting in a pretty good tilt with Cord and Taylor Makin. Both received fighting majors.

Austyn Hardie left the game in the 2nd period with a hand injury from a slash. Not known if it's broken. With Gillard and Triccett out SMU had 2 forwards on defense - Curtis and Johnson. Justin Weller has left the team, so they are a wee bit short on the back end. Expect some hard times for SMU until they can get guys back.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Things got a little feisty late in the 3rd resulting in a pretty good tilt with Cord and Taylor Makin. Both received fighting majors.

A real fight where they dropped the gloves? Very rare in the CIS. I will have to check it out on the archives.

Justin Weller has left the team, so they are a wee bit short on the back end. .

When did Weller leave? If he played any regular season games it means he takes up a cap space for the rest of the season.

I know that he was a big recruit for them.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When did Weller leave? If he played any regular season games it means he takes up a cap space for the rest of the season.

I know that he was a big recruit for them.

I thought I heard his name during a game I was watching a week or two ago...if so, that's pretty brutal for SMU since, like you said, he will have already counted against the cap.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Decided last week that he didn't want to play anymore. He has been injury prone in his time at SMU. It certainly came at a bad time. And it will use up a roster spot.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
But it isn't in any other conference...whether we like it or not (and I don't think any of us do like it), it's a rule currently in place that teams have to abide by. If it does continue I think the AUS should at least have something in place for situations like this.

Heck, between Weller leaving and their injuries they only have what, 2 healthy defencemen right now?? They are going to be playing short handed for a bit I assume....and that is why I don't like the cap. You are forcing teams to potentially play with less than a full bench, which can be dangerous.

I still don't understand why the AUS always likes doing things that no other conference does (roster cap, 30 game regular season, limit on exhibition games) for some reason...I don't get why they need to be different.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Victor Findlay ‏@Finder_24 3h3 hours ago
Justin Weller will not return to SMU this season. The Huskies are now down to just 2 healthy D-men at practice this week. (Bateman, Pereira)

Yes, rules are rules and NO there should not be an exception for things like this, UNB had to deal with it, so the rest of the league should have to as well. This rule was brought in because of UNB, and SMU voted for it, if I recall correctly, it was the NS schools who pushed hard for the rule. So I have no sympathy for them regardless of the circumstances.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yes, rules are rules and NO there should not be an exception for things like this, UNB had to deal with it, so the rest of the league should have to as well. This rule was brought in because of UNB, and SMU voted for it, if I recall correctly, it was the NS schools who pushed hard for the rule. So I have no sympathy for them regardless of the circumstances.

There was one other school who voted against the cap. Anyone remember?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There was one other school who voted against the cap. Anyone remember?

Don't quote me on this, but for some reason I remember it being STU, because I found it strange that they would be against the cap. Not 100% sure on that, but for some reason STU sticks in my mind. Will have to go digging!

My google skills seem to be lacking, been unable to find the results of the vote :( And from what I have found, I might be wrong by saying that STU voted with UNB, as I did find an article that had quoted Mike Eagles as being for the cap.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As of right now the Dalhousie Tigers are in second place. If the season ended today not only would they make the playoffs but they would get a second round bye. :amazed:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal looked good again tonight. Not the most skilled team, but they work hard every shift and are hard on the puck. When Boes can see the puck he makes the save most times. I think Donnelly has done a good job with this team over the past 3 seasons. He got rid of a lot of deadweight and has made people accountable. Nice to see Dal in the mix after many years of failure.

In other news, Austyn Hardie has a broken hand and will be gone probably till after Christmas. Gillard is practicing but his status is unknown. Triccett is still out and has not practiced yet, so he won't be in the lineup any time soon. Cord will be sitting out a suspension Friday night on the Island, giving SMU two "real" defensemen, so look for Johnson and Curtis to help out on the back end.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
It is nice to see that DAL is playing so well, hopefully they can continue to do so and make it to the playoffs, with a good goalie like Corbin Boes, they could be dangerous. They do play extremely hard, and thought that they had good team speed. Definitely shows that it's possible to turn a program around with a good coach, and good recruiting!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Busy weekend in the AUS with:

Tonight
Acadia vs UNB
Saint Mary's vs UPEI
Dalhousie vs StFX

Saturday Night
Saint Mary's vs UNB
StFX vs Moncton
Acadia vs UPEI

I would think that it will be a big weekend for Acadia, playing two of the stronger teams in the league, could easily pick up 0 points, or could pick up 4. Should give us a good idea how good they are.
Interested which UNB team will show up this weekend, the team that looked bad vs Dal last friday or the team that dominated St FX on Saturday night?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I guess the 5-1 score answers that question.

14 goals scored on the Island tonight. SMU had 2-three goal leads during the game. Stephen Gillard, just back after suffering a concussion in his 2nd game was the target of a RT Rice head shot early in the 3rd period. With just over a minute left in the game and SMU with a 3 goal lead, Rice took a run at Gillard near center ice. As the play moved into the SMU zone, Gillard took out his frustration on another UPEI player, resulting in the HS Major and Game Misconduct. As the score would indicate, neither team played particularly well in their own end.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I guess the 5-1 score answers that question.

14 goals scored on the Island tonight. SMU had 2-three goal leads during the game. Stephen Gillard, just back after suffering a concussion in his 2nd game was the target of a RT Rice head shot early in the 3rd period. With just over a minute left in the game and SMU with a 3 goal lead, Rice took a run at Gillard near center ice. As the play moved into the SMU zone, Gillard took out his frustration on another UPEI player, resulting in the HS Major and Game Misconduct. As the score would indicate, neither team played particularly well in their own end.

It certainly wasn't a night for the goaltenders either. Shots were only 27-19.

I'm assuming Gillard will be suspended for the game against UNB Saturday night. That'll hurt the D even more.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yup, but they get Cord back. There is a good chance he may not have played anyway as UPEI took a couple of solid runs at him during the game and he got rocked with the head shot. It's sad when a team "appears" to target a player just coming off a concussion.

The shot total was low for sure. Brassard didn't have a chance on at least 4 of the goals as SMU was just awful in their own end.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interesting to see Darcy Ashley playing last night for UPEI (and getting 3 points)...I thought the word at the start of the year was that he was done due to concussions?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 4 Dal 1 - Not much to note about this one although none of the goals were scored even strengthed. Shots weren't too one sided 29-18 in favor of the VReds who pretty much just did enough to win.

Acadia 6 Moncton 5 (ot) - Les Aigles blew a 4 goal lead in this one. Or conversely the Axeman scored five straight to win the game. After the VReds game I tuned into this one to see the Axemen tie it late and then score the winner in overtime.
Not a fan of 3 on 3 overtimes.

STFX 8 UPEI 4 - X actually held an eight goal lead at one point. I knew they would bounce back after last nights loss. Panthers are a good team but are too inconsistent right now. Kurt Etchegary with a fighting major in the third.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB 4 Dal 1 - Not much to note about this one although none of the goals were scored even strengthed. Shots weren't too one sided 29-18 in favor of the VReds who pretty much just did enough to win.

Acadia 6 Moncton 5 (ot) - Les Aigles blew a 4 goal lead in this one. Or conversely the Axeman scored five straight to win the game. After the VReds game I tuned into this one to see the Axemen tie it late and then score the winner in overtime.
Not a fan of 3 on 3 overtimes.

STFX 8 UPEI 4 - X actually held an eight goal lead at one point. I knew they would bounce back after last nights loss. Panthers are a good team but are too inconsistent right now. Kurt Etchegary with a fighting major in the third.

The UNB boxscore is messed up..again. I think Murray's goal and Playfair's goal for DAL were both at even strength.

Moncton had a 5-1 lead with 12 minutes left....they are quickly becoming the new STU.

Agreed about UPEI...wouldn't surprise me if they rebound and put up a good fight against UNB on Wednesday despite a pretty terrible weekend (although they probably deserved a better fate last night). No matter what they do, they just can't seem to get over that hump of being anything more than a barely-above-.500 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00