Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well that's the thing, given the random concussions this year - how far away is he from no longer being in his right mind?

I don't think players who have been relatively healthy with concussions recently think about what if's in the future enough to deter them from retiring at such a young age.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't think players who have been relatively healthy with concussions recently think about what if's in the future enough to deter them from retiring at such a young age.

Unless doctors are suggesting.
The guy had one without obvious cause from a practice this season.
Then returned early from one in the playoffs and immediately took another bump that at the minimum should have been a quiet room visit.

I could see this just being a push for one more cup, then calling it and moving into the front office.

littleD

Would have liked to see Preds win, but I'm okay with the Pens winning. Cement the legacy of a few players.

Malkin should have been Conn Smythe winner imo. Oh well, at least he's considered one of the top 100 players....oh, he's not? Oh well.

Anyway, bring on NHL silly season. Vegas going to become my second team, just because I love going there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pens suck for a decade, get gifted Malkin and Crosby, and still can barely beat two budget teams, one of which came within one goal of beating them, the other came within a goal of getting to game 7 without their #1 center

Loser franchise no matter how many cups they win. Hate seeing utter incompetence get rewarded.

Exactly why I always hated the idea when so many Sens fans wanted to tank real hard. We have our share our superstars and high picks and we got them another way (trade) rather than by "utter incompetence"

Erik Karlsson : 15th OA : worth a 1st OA pick
Derick Brassard : 6th OA
Dion Phaneuf : 9th OA
Bobby Ryan : 2nd OA
Kyle Turris : 3rd OA

Then you have Stone and Hoffman who might be top-10 worthy picks too, or even Chabot or White (remains to be seen)

Yeah, high picks are not always Crosby or Malkin. To get a generational player like that, you need to tank at the right time or do like the Sens with Karlsson.

**** Pittsburgh

This.

Me not like Kessel now

Boo. NHL has a problem with very few teams winning cups in the past 10 years.

Why is it a problem? Would you say the same if the Sens won their 3rd?

It's too bad Fleury and Murray couldn't share the Conn Smythe... without their goaltending; Fleury allowing the team to get past Washington and Murray a reason they won against Predators (minus game 5) the Penguins don't win, imo.

I would say he turned around the series against Ottawa too.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Would have liked to see Preds win, but I'm okay with the Pens winning. Cement the legacy of a few players.

Malkin should have been Conn Smythe winner imo. Oh well, at least he's considered one of the top 100 players....oh, he's not? Oh well.

Anyway, bring on NHL silly season. Vegas going to become my second team, just because I love going there.

Malkin had a couple of great games, but I don't see his overall play as Conn Smythe winning. He was the most intriguing player to me based on his reputation, and I've never seen what others see when they claim he's the best or 2nd best centre in the league. But I recognize that sometimes an observer can't shed their bias, and I'm just not giving him enough credit. I would have been surprised if he had been awarded the Conn Smythe.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
...And FOUR power plays awarded to the Predators to the Penguins 0 that they couldn't capitalize on. At one point it being a 5 on 3.

It was pretty clear the refs were trying to even it up after the disaster call. A goal is way more important and momentum changing than a few PPs. Pitt may have won anyway, it just sucks the refs decided the game.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was pretty clear the refs were trying to even it up after the disaster call. A goal is way more important and momentum changing than a few PPs. Pitt may have won anyway, it just sucks the refs decided the game.

No, the refs just didn't at all. Mistakes and misses happen, and just like bad games and miscues by players, they shake it off and move on.

The reffing was fine, the Preds sucked and couldn't score over two games, and deserved to lose.

Blaming the refs is the worst kind of sour grapes in sport. I don't like the Pens at all, but get a grip!

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
No, the refs just didn't at all. Mistakes and misses happen, and just like bad games and miscues by players, they shake it off and move on.

The reffing was fine, the Preds sucked and couldn't score over two games, and deserved to lose.

Blaming the refs is the worst kind of sour grapes in sport. I don't like the Pens at all, but get a grip!

The refs were fine, but the number of obvious goals that get called back by early whistles is ridiculous. The goalie should have to cover the puck for 3 seconds before the ref can blow the whistle. I also purpose one of two rule changes. If a ref loses sight of the puck he has to wait three seconds to blow the whistle, or if a ref loses sight of the puck he makes some sort of hand signal, and the second ref blows the whistle if he also can't see the puck.

I hear so much complaining about offside goals getting called back, but early whistles and intent to blow the whistle calls annoying me much much more.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The refs were fine, but the number of obvious goals that get called back by early whistles is ridiculous. The goalie should have to cover the puck for 3 seconds before the ref can blow the whistle. I also purpose one of two rule changes. If a ref loses sight of the puck he has to wait three seconds to blow the whistle, or if a ref loses sight of the puck he makes some sort of hand signal, and the second ref blows the whistle if he also can't see the puck.

I hear so much complaining about offside goals getting called back, but early whistles and intent to blow the whistle calls annoying me much much more.

You try covering a puck with your hand only to have it whacked by hockey sticks for 3 seconds and have players crashing in on you. Those 3 seconds would feel like 10.

Refs blow the whistle when they genuinely think the puck is covered and the play is dead. Extending a dead play for 3 seconds just increases a risk of injury.

Yes, **** happens like it did last night, but all it takes is 1 broken hand and everyone will scream that the refs didn't blow the whistle fast enough.

Perhaps the ability to review plays like this, via coach's challenge or otherwise, is something to consider?

**I would be way more upset if I was a Preds fan though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You try covering a puck with your hand only to have it whacked by hockey sticks for 3 seconds and have players crashing in on you. Those 3 seconds would feel like 10.

Refs blow the whistle when they genuinely think the puck is covered and the play is dead. Extending a dead play for 3 seconds just increases a risk of injury.

Yes, **** happens like it did last night, but all it takes is 1 broken hand and everyone will scream that the refs didn't blow the whistle fast enough.

Perhaps the ability to review plays like this, via coach's challenge or otherwise, is something to consider?

**I would be way more upset if I was a Preds fan though.

Just out of curiosity, how often have goalies been injured while covering the puck? I can't think of any cases tbh, and it's not like players don't jab at covered pucks under the current system.

I mean, if it's obviously covered, blow it dead, but I don't like refs blowing plays dead from obstructed views.

Also, if refs see players taking liberties on a covered puck, slap em with a penalty.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Nashville scored while a ref who wasn't in a proper position to see the play blew the whistle. Score that as gift number one to the Pens by the ref. The winning goal was scored after a clear bump on Rinne putting him off balance which is clear goalie interference. Without that bump he doesn't score from behind the net. Score that as gift #2 by the refs and the cup for the Pens.

In another loss I also felt that they gifted the Pens by reversing a goal by Nashville which could have had a major impact on the series. When Subban scored, it was called a goal but later deemed offside yet the replay is clearly inconclusive. By NHL rules and their own standards on previous occasions that should have remained a goal. That was really deflating.

Even worse is what they chose to ignore or allow and not just what they called in some games of these playoffs. Once the other league darlings had been eliminated whoever faced the Pens this season had to overcome extra obstacles in some games but those guys weren't wearing Pens jerseys.

Someone needs to be fired!

EDIT:
btw) I don't know why the refs can't have a hand signal when one loses sight to see if the other sees the puck before one of them blows the play dead. It's pretty obvious that if both lose sight then the play should be blown dead but last night one ref could see the puck and the other not. All it took is a glance at the 2nd ref and a simple hand signal and the ref in the bad position would not have blown the play dead.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how often have goalies been injured while covering the puck? I can't think of any cases tbh, and it's not like players don't jab at covered pucks under the current system.

I mean, if it's obviously covered, blow it dead, but I don't like refs blowing plays dead from obstructed views.

Also, if refs see players taking liberties on a covered puck, slap em with a penalty.

Probably happens slightly more than you think, but only because they'll play through it unless its particularly bad.
I mean, Lundqvist as they pointed out had that glove which didn't close. While it may provide a slightly larger surface area, it also would mean he could easily play with busted fingers. Not saying that's why he was using it, just that it'd allow him to play through injury easier

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

That no-goal was a real killer though.

Definitely was a shame.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I'm sure you'd see a few more injuries if this '3 second wait' rule was implemented.
That rule will never and should never happen. Sucks that the ref blew the whistle early but I could see why he did, it looked like a save that Murray held on to at first glance, especially from his angle.

The conspiracy theorists are ridiculous. There was no fix. It was a missed call, it happens. People really think the NHL wouldn't have liked a game 7? People actually believe the refs are told to favour one team over the other? I'd hate to think that way, might as well watch WWE.

littleD

The winning goal was scored after a clear bump on Rinne putting him off balance which is clear goalie interference. Without that bump he doesn't score from behind the net. Score that as gift #2 by the refs and the cup for the Pens.

Y'all have some irrational hate for the Pens, but this right here takes the cake.

No one, not a single person, is calling that goal back for interference. To do so, just negate every goal ever.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Probably happens slightly more than you think, but only because they'll play through it unless its particularly bad.
I mean, Lundqvist as they pointed out had that glove which didn't close. While it may provide a slightly larger surface area, it also would mean he could easily play with busted fingers. Not saying that's why he was using it, just that it'd allow him to play through injury easier

Antone else remember Ron Tugnutt getting slashed all to hell in the playoffs?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure you'd see a few more injuries if this '3 second wait' rule was implemented.
That rule will never and should never happen. Sucks that the ref blew the whistle early but I could see why he did, it looked like a save that Murray held on to at first glance, especially from his angle.

The conspiracy theorists are ridiculous. There was no fix. It was a missed call, it happens. People really think the NHL wouldn't have liked a game 7? People actually believe the refs are told to favour one team over the other? I'd hate to think that way, might as well watch WWE.

I'm not saying the 3 second idea is the way to fix it, but I find refs far to quick to blow plays dead.

Having said that, Murray's attempted save was in no way a clearly frozen puck, nor did there appear to be any threat of injury had the ref waited to see if it was frozen. You could clearly tell Murray didn't know where it was within a fraction of a second and the whole save looked ackward from the get go. Such a bizzare timing for a quick whistle, definately a reputation whistle imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad