Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
So I guess it pretty well would've taken Chabot and a 2nd to get Drouin.

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
Who is going to play defense in Montreal?

Oh yeah the corpse of Shea Weber and 39 year old Markov.

Galchenyuk must be outbound for a d-man

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Seems like a trade that fit perfectly for both teams. Sounds like Sergachev could be the real deal though? Him and Hedman on D could be killer. Plus lower salary for TB.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Somewhat surprised tbh.

I thought Tampa wouldn't want to trade Drouin after the season he just had.

Drouin is due for a new contract is he not? Same with Johnson and Palat IIRC.

Sergachev is ELC and expansion exempt. Both of those are huge factors for the Lightning.

Maybe the trade itself favors Montreal value wise, but being able to now protect Killorn, and having space to re-sign Johnson and Palat, is big for Tampa.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tampa just got bent over.

How is Ceci and the sens first not worth more. Sergachev cant play in his own zone, I was shocked at how bad he was in the mem cup. Offensive stud but he is lost back there.

Ceci can?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Watch the mem cup final. Sergachev is shockingly poor positionally.

lol for ceci it's "the guy has only been in the NHL for 4 years. You expect him to be good?!"

But for sergachev who's 19 barely a pro it's a different story

(Not sure if you subscribe to the arguments above)

Sergachev has sky high potential

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I am glad that the Habs dont have Sergachev anymore. Drouin is good but I'm not sure if he will be a consistent first liner

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't think the fact that Sergachev is exempt from the expansion draft didn't have a huge part to play in this deal.

By trading a guy they had to protect (and maybe didn't have room to do so), and bringing back a guy who Vegas can't touch, Tampa essentially "freed up" an extra protection spot in this deal. That's worth something.

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
If Sergachev doesn't play 40 games for the Bolts next season, then the picks are exchanged

that's right from Pierre Lebrun...so the 2nd might not even come into play. Looks worse for TBay now. Sergachev is still awesome though

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Sergachev doesn't play 40 games for the Bolts next season, then the picks are exchanged

that's right from Pierre Lebrun...so the 2nd might not even come into play. Looks worse for TBay now. Sergachev is still awesome though

So they just keep him in the AHL for most of the year to "get a feel for the pro game" (or some other excuse), and then call him up in March for the playoff push.

Easy peasy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sergachev has #1 potential. He's still really raw, but his upside is massive.

He's not there yet, but give me a top pairing D over a top line winger any day of the week.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's not just Drouin for Sergachev guys.

At minimum it's Drouin for Sergachev + 2nd. Tampa has control over getting the pick, and they'll play Sergachev 40 games to get it if they have to. Add in the tons of cap space that Tampa has opened up by not having to pay Drouin, and they could add a good forward in free agency to at least partially offset the loss of Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad