Around the League 2017-18 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I feel like this just reinforces the idea that you shouldn't go and make big TDL acquisitions. They just never seem to be worth it.

Depends on the year. Some teams make massive deadline deals that pay off. It seems like at least half the time one of the eventual finalists makes a splash.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm torn between who I would want to win. Ovechkin should finally win the cup (hopefully he doesn't bolt to KHL if this happens, he needs to break some records), but it would be fun to see people's heads explode if Vegas takes it.

Reactions: duxfan1101

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Depends on the year. Some teams make massive deadline deals that pay off. It seems like at least half the time one of the eventual finalists makes a splash.
I'm trying to remember the last big acquisition that actually helped a team win the cup, Vemette and Chicago a few years back?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Carter was a hockey deal tho, no? Or was he to become a UFA?

IIRC Gaborik was about to become UFA. Kings certainly were the ones that resigned him.
Carter was a "hockey deal" I suppose. Also an absolute disaster trade for CBJ.
They sold low on a star player on a great contract in his prime. Consider that Philly got Voracek, the 8th overall (Couturier), and a 3rd like a half season earlier

Reactions: Kalv

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Carter was a "hockey deal" I suppose. Also an absolute disaster trade for CBJ.
They sold low on a star player on a great contract in his prime. Consider that Philly got Voracek, the 8th overall (Couturier), and a 3rd like a half season earlier

at the time of the deal to LA carter had missed quite some time with injuries and had played like trash when he was healthy because he didn't want to be in columbus

i think the jackets just took the first decent deal they received because they wanted to move on from carter as quickly as possible

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm trying to remember the last big acquisition that actually helped a team win the cup, Vemette and Chicago a few years back?

Looking at the last 5 years:

2017 year Pens added Streit and Hainsey. While Streit was irrelevant Hainsey was arguably their best dmen and logged a ton of minutes.

2016 the Pens added nobody at the deadline but did trade for Hagelin in January.

2015 as you said the Hawks added Vermette

2014 the Kings added Gaborik

2013 the Hawks added Handzus

Some are rather insignificant adds but there are definitely times where without the addition the team that ended up winning probably wouldn’t have won. LA doesn’t win without Gaborik in 14, Pens don’t win without Hainsey last year and while Vermette was mostly useless for the Hawks he did score the backbreaking Ot goal against us.

Reactions: dracom

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
at the time of the deal to LA carter had missed quite some time with injuries and had played like trash when he was healthy because he didn't want to be in columbus

i think the jackets just took the first decent deal they received because they wanted to move on from carter as quickly as possible
May be the case.
Still a terribly lopsided trade

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Wouldn't it be nice if we had an enforcer like Reaves who wasn't completely out of place in a game like this?

BM got us Boll and Staubitz instead

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Im watching the vegas game and their system really does look like one that almost all of our players would fit into very well.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
How Vegas can just answer back when they get scored on is impressive. Also Reaves is the kind of enforcer that still has somewhat of a place in this league. Compare him to Boll and it's night and day the difference in quality they are. Reaves has surpassed Boll's entire Duck career goal total in just two games.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad