Around the League 2017-18 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Hi, I'm sliding over as a blues fan here with some questions. I'm trying to get to know more of the players around the league (I'm not asking because we want to trade for them). Can anyone give me an overview or kind of a scouting report of the style of play of Rakell, Kase, or Silfverberg?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hi, I'm sliding over as a blues fan here with some questions. I'm trying to get to know more of the players around the league (I'm not asking because we want to trade for them). Can anyone give me an overview or kind of a scouting report of the style of play of Rakell, Kase, or Silfverberg?

Rakell is a shifty offensive winger with excellent hands and finishing ability and above average passing ability. He has slightly above average speed and is not overly physical. Can run hot and cold like most goal scorers. Mediocre on a good day in the defensive end.

Kase is a small, shift forward who has good vision and playmaking ability. Offensively a bit of a poor mans Rakell except Kase is smaller, works harder and focuses a bit more on playmaking. He’s quick but his top end speed is only above average and not elite. Alright defensively, he’s a good backhecker and hounds pucks but nothing special positionally.

Silfverberg is a very good defensive forward. Not overly fast or physical but always in the right position in his own end and backchecks hard. Offensively he’s erratic, he has one of the best releases in the league but needs a shitload of time and space to get his shot off and he doesn’t really have a one timer to speak. He’s a decent enough playmaker but not world class or anything. He’s one of the most streaky offensive producers in the league. One year I believe he had something like 80 percent of his points in the second half of the season.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd take that Kane deal over the Kesler one anyday of the week. (When they were signed)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I'd take that Kane deal over the Kesler one anyday of the week. (When they were signed)
With Kesler, everyone knew it would turn bad at some point. This one might well be bad right from the start if the honeymoon fit with the Sharks doesn't carry over, or it just turns out as a player upping his level in a contract year, and Kane goes back to being the player he has been for most of the last five years.

Compared to the Kesler deal, this one maybe has more upside considering it's only leading him to his early 30s, so the dropoff probably isn't guaranteed to quite the same level, I guess. Still, it's a pretty bad contract, IMO.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Rakell is a shifty offensive winger with excellent hands and finishing ability and above average passing ability. He has slightly above average speed and is not overly physical. Can run hot and cold like most goal scorers. Mediocre on a good day in the defensive end.

Kase is a small, shift forward who has good vision and playmaking ability. Offensively a bit of a poor mans Rakell except Kase is smaller, works harder and focuses a bit more on playmaking. He’s quick but his top end speed is only above average and not elite. Alright defensively, he’s a good backhecker and hounds pucks but nothing special positionally.

Silfverberg is a very good defensive forward. Not overly fast or physical but always in the right position in his own end and backchecks hard. Offensively he’s erratic, he has one of the best releases in the league but needs a ****load of time and space to get his shot off and he doesn’t really have a one timer to speak. He’s a decent enough playmaker but not world class or anything. He’s one of the most streaky offensive producers in the league. One year I believe he had something like 80 percent of his points in the second half of the season.

Pretty much agree with all of this except I don't think Silfverberg is a decent playmaker. He's below average IMO. I despise him being on the PP, as he shows very little offensive vision. I don't understand why so many people desire him to be off of Kesler's line and on a more offensive line. When I watch him, his game seems more suited for someone like Kesler who plays a very defensive, simple game.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There were a significant amount of people who liked the Kesler deal at the time. Most people knew it would turn bad but some still defended it
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ryan-kesler-6-years-6-875m-aav.1929259/

No one saw the hip thing coming in year 3 of the deal but man that one was bad from the beginning.

I don't think the Kane contract will be that bad, because of his age, but that's still not a great deal.

Teams really need to start understanding that forwards are peaking at 23-25 years old these days, not 28-30, and certainly not 31-35

Kane will be 27 by the time he plays another game for the Sharks. That's not old but by year 3 he'll probably hit his decline and they'll be paying a lot of money for it

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
For a guy who calls himself Terry Yake, you have a weird amnesia about what every expansion team looked like until this year.

you think the knights have a great roster?

james neal and MAF are the only players on that team that the casual fan would know. they're getting career years from guys like karlsson, marchessault, and haula. are those household names?

literally no one before the season was praising that roster, now people are jealous of their success and suddenly they have a good roster

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ovechkin has 12 goals these playoffs.

If he can get this cup and the Smythe I think there is a legit argument again that he's had the better career than Crosby overall.

I'm pulling for him

He definitely had the better peak and has outperformed Crosby head to head in the playoffs. The big difference is in their supporting cast.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Vegas has a better chance to beat the Caps than TB so I dont like this tbh

I would agree Tampa has a better chance to beat Vegas although both should be favoured. I think Tampa’s a better team than Washington by a fair margin. But the best team doesn’t always win the series I guess.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This is pretty much a win-win series for the NHL. Ovechkin finally gets his name on the cup and MAF gets the Conn Smyth.

John

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
TDL should be minor tweaks imho, not all in moves. If you can not believe in your roster before, you will hardly do after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad