Around the League 2017-18 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The premise is that the Stanley Cup is still the hardest to win. Everyone on this site will say yes. But I'm sure some will look at the new division format and wonder if that is no longer the case. The best teams may beat each other up have a tougher route than a good team from a weaker division.

John

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm sorry you can't decipher it. It has been laid out for you numerous times. @heusy_79 probably put it best on the last page

Time to move on
Yeah, you and the rest of the people that think Vegas winning is a bad thing should move on.

Also, still no good reasons for why Vegas winning is bad, try again.

The Stanley Cup is billed as the most difficult trophy to win in all of sports, and a first year expansion team just isn't supposed to be anywhere close to competing for it. I see both sides of the argument, it's exciting and helps further push the sport in a new market, but I also see how it makes the NHL look a bit "bush league" in some eyes.

Personally I don't think they were handed too much talent. A lot of things have gone perfectly right in order for them to be where they are, and there are pop up/cinderella teams almost every year.

Who's to say the SC should be out of the reach for a first year expansion? What rule are they breaking? The only people who see this league as a "bush league" are people who were never going to care about the NHL in the first place, so why does anyone care what a small minority will think?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
All this "bad for hockey" crap just reeks of entitlement. It's their first year? Boo-hoo. Everything single thing they achieve is because they earned it. Maybe the teams they're playing against should try working harder from top to bottom. Because this Knights team certainly isn't the most talented. Hell probably not even top 10 in the league. Just goes to show how much talent evaluators in the league need a huge wake-up call. Coaches too in how they deploy their players and in the lack of freedom they give them. Those things changing would be great for the league. More exposure in an untapped market is great as that equals more money across the league. The casual fans aren't the backbone of the league to begin with nor do I really think they will view this negatively. They'll see it as a cinderella run akin to Leceister City or NCAA teams during March Madness. People LOVE underdogs.

BTW would anyone say the 1980 USA Olympic Team was "bad for hockey"?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I've explained it

And so have others
It doesn't really matter how articulate you are. There are always a few dick heads who need it to be personal. Not sure why it's so important to these people that everyone be on board and supportive of this Vegas farce, but there it is. The analogies being thrown around -- the 67 blues, the 1980 USA team -- are so inapt that they reveal this isn't about some deep understanding of league history. It's something else.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It doesn't really matter how articulate you are. There are always a few dick heads who need it to be personal. Not sure why it's so important to these people that everyone be on board and supportive of this Vegas farce, but there it is. The analogies being thrown around -- the 67 blues, the 1980 USA team -- are so inapt that they reveal this isn't about some deep understanding of league history. It's something else.

No one wants people to support Vegas, that's completely made up. There's a difference between not supporting Vegas to win and thinking them winning the cup in their first year is a huge black mark on the league. It's just another team having a Cinderella story, hell Tampa or the Caps could still come in and embarrass the Knights in 4 games.

A lot fewer people are about to start saying it.

So? People should stop caring what a small minority of people are going to think about our league if Vegas wins.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it's not that hard to see why vegas has made it this far

just watch them play. literally no one on that team stops skating. they simply wear out the opposition

really shows the value of chemistry and building a team based off an established system

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
it's not that hard to see why vegas has made it this far

just watch them play. literally no one on that team stops skating. they simply wear out the opposition

really shows the value of chemistry and building a team based off an established system

Exactly. They're always moving their feet and play such a free flowing, aggressive game, including the dmen who are consistently up on the play.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The root of this is may be based on the majority of teams taking shifts and periods off. Most teams pace themselves throughout the game, and many times the elite players fall into this category. So often people wonder why teams play so hard on the final minutes; the big push in the 3rd period.

I don't know if it is conditioning, too many top line minutes, or ???, but when a team skates hard for the majority of a game most fans wonder why our players are not putting out that much effort. This gets tougher to accept when the salaries are so disparate. In some ways it reflects corporate America where the old guys get the bucks but the young guys do the heavy lifting. There is some entitlement in play.

John

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Everyone was laughing at the roster that Vegas selected during the expansion draft. Surely they had put together a team that was designed to tank and pile up draft picks for a few seasons. That's why they opened at 500-to-1. Sport bookers aren't stupid, otherwise they wouldn't have a job considering all the money on the line. On paper, their team of 3rd and 4th liners would be fortunate to earn 60 points. Hell, I remember everyone looking at the schedule and trying to figure out when the team might get its first win. They were going to play Buffalo at some point... maybe that might be their first two points?

So turning around now and saying that they were gifted a Stanley Cup team in their first year just comes off as being a whiner. Nobody looked at the roster and thought "Look, a Stanley Cup contender!" And somehow they managed it anyway. What's wrong with that exactly? If improbable runs were impossible, sports would be very, very boring. Watch the NBA if you want to see only the most stacked rosters compete for a championship. I know as Ducks fans the thought of a team putting in a sixty minute effort every single game seems unheard of. But Vegas IS giving it their all from start to finish. That's why they're in this position.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Also, coaching deserves a LOT of credit here. Gallant trusts all his players and allows them to make up for mistakes. Take Game 4 of Winnipeg vs. Vegas for example. Reilly Smith took a penalty and the Jets tied the game on the powerplay. Can you imagine what would happen if the Ducks were in that situation? Unless the player is named Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler (or any of Carlyle's other hand-picked favorites), they'd be benched the rest of the game. Instead, the very next shift Smith is out there and scoring to give Vegas the lead again. You don't see this happen on the Ducks because Carlyle doesn't freaking trust anyone.

I'm not wondering why a team like Vegas should be allowed to compete for a Stanley Cup in the first year. I'm looking at what the Ducks are doing wrong, and why they don't deserve to be where Vegas is. The fact that Carlyle is even coming back shows how out of touch this organization is with what it takes to win a championship. Those in charge of the Golden Knights aren't out of touch. That's the real difference. A lot of organizations think that they need established superstars to carry their team to a championship and rely on them, giving the rest of the roster minimal ice time. Vegas just selected a bunch of flat-out hard workers and understands that overworking your top line is going to do nothing but harm the team in the long run.

Edit: And one last thing. Fleury has been absolutely incredible. If you want to pick one reason that they're in the SCF that has nothing to do with management/coaching, that's it. The guy is just in another world right now. And sometimes that's the real difference when it comes to which teams make it to the final. How far would the 2003 Ducks have made it without Giguere playing out of his mind?

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Vegas is a Cinderella story but there have been some before. That it is a first year team is unimportant for me. They have been good this season. And they will get into CAP issues sooner than later. Also good ;-)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How far would the 2003 Ducks have made it without Giguere playing out of his mind?

They would have lost in 4 to Detroit. The only team we would have stood a chance against if we had league average goaltending would have been Minnesota. Jiggy was crazy good that year.

Reactions: PrototypeX85

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
San Jose apparently re-signs Evander Kane for 7 years, $7 million AAV. They previously dealt a 2019 2nd to get him, but if the extension is true, Buffalo gets their 2019 first rounder instead...

If that's true, that's one of the most ridiculous contracts I've seen in a while. Holy ****.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I haven't cared so little about the Stanley Cup Playoffs in a long time. I stopped making sure I was home to watch the games after SJ went down. Even the game 7 Jets and Preds I only watched the last period.

I'm actually watching the NBA playoffs instead. Lebron and Golden State are more interesting than the NHL playoffs. Also watching a lot of MLB, Ohtani, Trout.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
anyone bitter about vegas is just jealous their team isn't in the SCF

Not if you have been a fan of an expansion team from the beginning. Do you remember how bad the Ducks were? Even when we got to see Kariya and Selanne together, lines 2-4 were mostly awful hockey players. But go ahead and congratulate the spoiled Knights fans.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Not if you have been a fan of an expansion team from the beginning. Do you remember how bad the Ducks were? Even when we got to see Kariya and Selanne together, lines 2-4 were mostly awful hockey players. But go ahead and congratulate the spoiled Knights fans.

and the knights have a stacked roster?

tell me more

Reactions: PrototypeX85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad