Around the League - 15/16 Edition: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is how I envision Leaf fans when watching any of their GMs press conferences (start at 1:23, and replace 9/11 with "rebuild")

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"Find a better GM than Lou over the past 20 years" is like me saying find a more successful organization than the Oilers over the past 31 years.

And Hunter, Dubas, and Shanny have not done a thing in their careers. Maybe they'll all be great at their jobs. Maybe they'll be garbage. Certainly far too early to tell.

Leaf fans are in the honey moon stage where they think these guys can do no wrong. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Yeah hahaha no kidding, I was thinking same thing. Leafs have been rebuilding since 2008. Theyve picked top 5 nearly as many times as Oilers. They slammed Oilers for having their top talent as small 1 dimensional wingers, yet their three best propescts (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen) are all Eberle/Hall/Yak clones. Our how Oilers have never picked D in their rebuild. Well Rielly is legit the only good young D they have.

Burke was a moron. He didn't set out to rebuild, he set out to retool, there is a big difference. He made no attempt to build through the draft, and he wasn't patient. No GM in Toronto could stomach embarking upon a rebuild, because of the pressure. I think Eberle was a great pick where and when you picked him, and Hall and RNH weren't bad picks. But drafting Yakupov rather than a D or trading the pick was dumb. Also not turning Eberle or RNH (while there value was high) into help on the backend when you decided to draft another forward in Draisaitl set you guys back. As far as good young D the Leafs have Rielly is legit and so is Gardiner as a real good #3, Marincin seems to really be playing well and could be a 5 or 6, as well as Carrick from the Winnik/Laich trade. In the system Dermott, Nielsen and Valiev seem like they could have promise. If we do get Zaitsev that is at the very least a solid #4 and would leave us with needing a top pairing guy at this point to have a solid D-corps. Goaltending on the otherhand is something we need to fix.

In 2010-2013 they brought in a cup winning GM in Burke that was going to turn EVERYTHING around. They werent going to do a stupid tear down rebuild like Oilers, thats dumb. Good teams get better fast. Then they brought in a no nonsense cup winning coach in Carlyle who would whip these boys into shape and implement a strong system.

As mentioned above Burke was dumb and didn't do a rebuild. Wilson and Carlyle were brutal coaches too. Too old school with no grasp of the way hockey is played in the new NHL, who almost ruined guys like Kadri and Gardiner.

Now they are parading how a total ear down is better (after slamming it 5 years ago) Honestly Leaf fans just parade whatever the GM is doing. No matter what. They have no opposing opinion. Tomorrow Shanny could say hes going to trade away their 2016 1st for Hubederau and accelerate the rebuild and Leaf fans would be praising him. I rag on Flames fans alot, but honestly they as a group are the standard type of overhyping players (I myself and every other fan base is same way). Leafs fans just take it to a new level. They literally cant form their own opinions. They just conform to what ever the GM is saying. Burkie was the hot GM ever Leaf fan fawned over, then once he sucked Nonis was the new guy everyone was calling the genious behind Burkes moves. Then we he sucked Shanny was the hot new GM. Well Ill give Shanny 1 year and half before hes chewed up and spit out. The Dubas, the wunderboy, will be next up to bat. Its funny/sad to see

Seriously, this is funny. Leaf fans are generally pretty impatient, but what is happening now is different. Do you honestly think Babcock or Lou would have jumped on board with this if they didn't feel something really good was happening? Look at the Marlies this year. In one year they have been transformed into one of the youngest AHL teams (not filled with veteran lifers) and are destroying teams, and should be favourites for the Calder Cup. Keefe and Babcock are running the same system which makes it easier bring guys into the NHL fold, and as far as stocking the cupboards with prospects, Mark Hunter's track record speaks for itself. Look at London Knights teams of the last decade. As far as chewing up and spitting out Shanny or Dubas, you have chew up and spit out Lou first (good luck with that).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pens sitting Crosby and Letang this afternoon in a game that is a must win for the team their playing in the Flyers.

Can't imagine that will sit well with the Red Wings/Bruins fans haha.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Seriously, this is funny. Leaf fans are generally pretty impatient, but what is happening now is different. Do you honestly think Babcock or Lou would have jumped on board with this if they didn't feel something really good was happening? Look at the Marlies this year. In one year they have been transformed into one of the youngest AHL teams (not filled with veteran lifers) and are destroying teams, and should be favourites for the Calder Cup. Keefe and Babcock are running the same system which makes it easier bring guys into the NHL fold, and as far as stocking the cupboards with prospects, Mark Hunter's track record speaks for itself. Look at London Knights teams of the last decade. As far as chewing up and spitting out Shanny or Dubas, you have chew up and spit out Lou first (good luck with that).

Or they got offered an unheard of amount of money

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bruins down 3 pull their goalie with 1/2 the period to go and the Sens promptly score lol.

Do you have a better chance of scoring 3 while on a 6 on 5 for the final 10 minutes without surrendering a single shot. Or a better chance of scoring 3 while 5 on 5 and having a goalie in net to keep that shot from going in.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Bruins down 3 pull their goalie with 1/2 the period to go and the Sens promptly score lol.

Do you have a better chance of scoring 3 while on a 6 on 5 for the final 10 minutes without surrendering a single shot. Or a better chance of scoring 3 while 5 on 5 and having a goalie in net to keep that shot from going in.

With the way boston has played the last 3 weeks, anything to motivate/make them score has to be done

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bruins down 5-1 with 5 minutes left. Get a PP, pull their goalie again, and promptly get scored on again lol.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Red Wings have made the playoffs for 25 years in a row. Holy god damn. Thats hard to comprehend

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Yeah hahaha no kidding, I was thinking same thing. Leafs have been rebuilding since 2008. Theyve picked top 5 nearly as many times as Oilers. They slammed Oilers for having their top talent as small 1 dimensional wingers, yet their three best propescts (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen) are all Eberle/Hall/Yak clones. Our how Oilers have never picked D in their rebuild. Well Rielly is legit the only good young D they have.

In 2010-2013 they brought in a cup winning GM in Burke that was going to turn EVERYTHING around. They werent going to do a stupid tear down rebuild like Oilers, thats dumb. Good teams get better fast. Then they brought in a no nonsense cup winning coach in Carlyle who would whip these boys into shape and implement a strong system.

Now they are parading how a total ear down is better (after slamming it 5 years ago) Honestly Leaf fans just parade whatever the GM is doing. No matter what. They have no opposing opinion. Tomorrow Shanny could say hes going to trade away their 2016 1st for Hubederau and accelerate the rebuild and Leaf fans would be praising him. I rag on Flames fans alot, but honestly they as a group are the standard type of overhyping players (I myself and every other fan base is same way). Leafs fans just take it to a new level. They literally cant form their own opinions. They just conform to what ever the GM is saying. Burkie was the hot GM ever Leaf fan fawned over, then once he sucked Nonis was the new guy everyone was calling the genious behind Burkes moves. Then we he sucked Shanny was the hot new GM. Well Ill give Shanny 1 year and half before hes chewed up and spit out. The Dubas, the wunderboy, will be next up to bat

Its funny/sad to see

Its funny that mostly Leaf fans accuse the Oilers of this, when they are the last team that should be preaching. Other teams may have a case, Leafs do not. They should try counselling, not bullying.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bruins :laugh:

FSKuOgb.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Im not saying Leafs arent going in a good direction, unquestionably they are. But things are just going way off the rails expectation wise. I mean yes Babcock chose Toronto, but actually Bob Mack was saying Edmonton was his first choice, before Chiarelli put an end to his little show and hired TM. So he chose between Buffalo and Toronto. Not sure if you want to be praising a rebuild for landing him, when he almost chose one of the other rebuilds (that leafs fans mock). With all the Keefe, Hunter, Dubas, Babcock, Lou praising, you could almost cut and paste that with old Nonis, Burke, Carlyle praising, because they got similar hype. These new guys are better, no question for me.

But itll be interesting to watch game 50 of next season if Toronto is playing the rookies and continue to struggle. I wonder if there will be same sense of eurpohia. Right now Nylander and co can do no wrong. But not too long ago Kessel had even bigger hype as a 30 goal ppg guy. It only took a season of losing before the pitchforks come out.

Leafs rebuild is about as good as you can get. But they have only gone through the easy part of selling off assets and drafting high. The hardest part is right now. Going out to get vets to shield the young players. Because if they dont, theyll be thrown to the wolves as Gagner, RNH, Hall, Kadri, Eberle, Kessel were. And that rebuild will follow same as Leafs from 2008-2013 rebuild

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty epic meltdown for the Bruins but in all fairness I didn't expect them to make the playoffs this year anyway. They're in a really tough spot now though. Feels like they are stuck in no mans land without a clear direction. Can't be too fun being a B's fan right now.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Pretty epic meltdown for the Bruins but in all fairness I didn't expect them to make the playoffs this year anyway. They're in a really tough spot now though. Feels like they are stuck in no mans land without a clear direction. Can't be too fun being a B's fan right now.

Serves management right for screwing us on the Hamilton thing

Sucks for the fans tho.

Also congrats Flyers fans. Still hate your team but congrats

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Serves management right for screwing us on the Hamilton thing

Sucks for the fans tho.

Also congrats Flyers fans. Still hate your team but congrats

It's all Chiarelli's fault though. Screw 'em.

Should be interesting to see how Bruins faithful spin this one.

Claude will take the fall this year I guess.

I didn't read every page of their PGT, but quite a few of them were laying blame on Chiarelli. A lot more ire directed towards him than Sweeney, and Seabass.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bruins deadline spending for a playoff push: 3rd, 4th rd 2016 picks, 2nd, 5th rd 2017 picks, Anthony Camara, return on Eriksson as a rental

My god hahahaha. Worst offseason in past 10 years and likely worst trade deadline in recent memory too. Lets see if they go 3 for 3 this offseason. Milbury would cement it. But dealing Krecji or Bergeron would really put them over the top. Worst meltdown than Canucks post cup?

I think its safe to say, Neely was/is the major, major issue

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be fair to the Bruins, the Flyers have a lot of loser points. A few low-win teams in the playoffs. The Wild have the same number of wins as the Avalanche but far more loser points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad