Around the League - 15/16 Edition: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone else think that this might be the year the Blues get out of the 1st round?

Last three years the Blackhawks have won it twice and made it to game 7 of the conference finals the other year. I wonder if fatigue sets in early for them in this playoffs. The Blues are due for a series win or two.

It could happen but I wouldn't bet on it. To me this years Blues team feels weaker than the previous years. They haven't really done anything to improve their team. Goaltending is still a questionmark and for a team in need of more offense trading Oshie for Brouwer doesn't look too good. Then again Oshie never really did much in the playoffs anyway. I don't know, I just don't see the depth there in the Blues lineup. They're the same team with the same issues. I guess the defense might be slightly better this year, both Parayko and Edmundson have been solid for them but at the end of the day they're both rookies and shouldn't be too heavily relied on. The only way I see them winning is if Hawks aren't the Hawks we usually see in the playoffs. I find it hard to judge what kind of team the Hawks is this year, feels like a pretty different team compared to years past.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It could happen but I wouldn't bet on it. To me this years Blues team feels weaker than the previous years. They haven't really done anything to improve their team. Goaltending is still a questionmark and for a team in need of more offense trading Oshie for Brouwer doesn't look too good. Then again Oshie never really did much in the playoffs anyway. I don't know, I just don't see the depth there in the Blues lineup. They're the same team with the same issues. I guess the defense might be slightly better this year, both Parayko and Edmundson have been solid for them but at the end of the day they're both rookies and shouldn't be too heavily relied on. The only way I see them winning is if Hawks aren't the Hawks we usually see in the playoffs. I find it hard to judge what kind of team the Hawks is this year, feels like a pretty different team compared to years past.

I agree. This year feels just like last year for the Blues. Oshie for Brouwer is a wash for me. Neither are top flight players. They have Parayko now, but I don't expect a rookie to be that last piece that puts them over.

The Hawks feel different though. Kane hit a new level, and Panarin seems better than Saad. They wont have Keith for the first game but just watch, they buckle down and win that one.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Tyler Johnson has done more in his hockey career than almost every single Oiler player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I wonder if Bolts fans know that there is this little slice of hfoil where their team has been defended tooth and nail for several seasons running by a tiny (so far I see two) but determined band of Oiler fans. Gotta admit the arguments by proxy, the double innuendos and the passive/aggressive drivebys make this one of my favorite threads come playoff time. :popcorn:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, my post had nothing to do with this but somehow I got dragged into an argument I'm already sick and tired of. I wanted to discuss what the Blues might do if they have another first round exit...

It's two people who have demonstrated a total lack of any knowledge when it comes to that team. Not worth my time, but you might have a different value of how you spend your time...haha.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Many of those against the Lighting will stop the angst against them after Tyler Johnson quits hockey and the Lightning suspend operations or relocate in which we will shift that to the new team/city

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Many of those against the Lighting will stop the angst against them after Tyler Johnson quits hockey and the Lightning suspend operations or relocate in which we will shift that to the new team/city

Ten thousand internet points for you sir.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I'm a little confused.

Does anyone here dislike Tyler Johnson, or is this a broader across the boards thing?

The kid wasn't drafted, then killed it in junior.

Starts in the minors, kills it...not only as a rookie in the regular season and in the playoffs where he gets 35 points in 32 playoff games.

He gets the call to the NHL, and jumps right in with two great seasons, and a remarkable run in the playoffs, proving a third time he can get it down in the playoffs in professional leagues.

He's had a rough year, but why would anyone dislike this guy? It's a great story, a great situation and everyone should be delighted for a kid like this.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'm a little confused.

Does anyone here dislike Tyler Johnson, or is this a broader across the boards thing?

He's had a rough year, but why would anyone dislike this guy? It's a great story, a great situation and everyone should be delighted for a kid like this.
Some folks were so delighted it prompted them to state that TJ was better than any forward on the Rangers, among other things.
The hyperbole surrounding the Bolts was legendary in this thread, as was the disdain heaped on anyone who wasn't as informed about the Bolts roster as some felt they should be. Willful ignorance was the term used, I'm certain you'll recall.

I don't hate the Bolts or TJ. Don't like them either. As a long time NHL fan they are one of the teams I just don't really care about one way or the other. Like I said earlier, I'm just here for the lulz.

And by lulz I mean the side splitting heehaws I find myself emitting when a longtime poster who doesn't miss a thing that goes down on this site comes along all :innocent: like saying ... 'I'm a little confused'. That's the kind of gold this thread delivers.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Some folks were so delighted it prompted them to state that TJ was better than any forward on the Rangers, among other things.
The hyperbole surrounding the Bolts was legendary in this thread, as was the disdain heaped on anyone who wasn't as informed about the Bolts roster as some felt they should be. Willful ignorance was the term used, I'm certain you'll recall.

I don't hate the Bolts or TJ. Don't like them either. As a long time NHL fan they are one of the teams I just don't really care about one way or the other. Like I said earlier, I'm just here for the lulz.

And by lulz I mean the side splitting heehaws I find myself emitting when a longtime poster who doesn't miss a thing that goes down on this site comes along all :innocent: like saying ... 'I'm a little confused'. That's the kind of gold this thread delivers.

Uhnnn? Side splitting heehaws? I actually didn't know Tyler Johnson of all people was a point of contention. I don't appreciate the implication I'm lying. Why do you need to pick internet fights with me, when I was putting forth an honest point.

I had more written out, like the comments you made within the past month about how sarcastic and mean-spirited posts were doing harm to this board. I'm sure the point of me bringing that up would be lost on you though.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Uhnnn? Side splitting heehaws? I actually didn't know Tyler Johnson of all people was a point of contention. I don't appreciate the implication I'm lying. Why do you need to pick internet fights with me, when I was putting forth an honest point.

I had more written out, like the comments you made within the past month about how sarcastic and mean-spirited posts were doing harm to this board. I'm sure the point of me bringing that up would be lost on you though.
Sheesh ... lighten up man.
If you think I was trying to pick a fight, or calling you a liar, after more than ten years of posting on the same site(s) and numerous direct interactions, well I dunno what to tell you.

I mistakenly (obviously) thought you were taking the piss (something of course you've never been known to do, or, what was it, 'make sarcastic, mean-spirited posts' either I'm sure) with your comments about TJ, and responding in what I thought was a joking tone as well. I was trying to have a laugh. Wow, my bad. :shakehead

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

That's kind of what I'm thinking is going to happen this year.

Oct 15, 2008

You've been weighed and numbered. May god have mercy on your soul.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
K guys, who are you cheering for? Or cheering against?

Florida Panthers vs New York Islanders:

Don't care for either club, but **** the Islanders, I hope they get destroyed.

St. Louis Blues vs Chicago Blackhawks:

I'm not a big fan of the Blues, but I'd like to see the Hawks get tossed in the first round. All the dynasty talk is icky.

Los Angeles Kings vs San Jose Sharks:

Again, not a huge fan of the Kings, but after watching the **** show that was Sharks fans after the Nurse incident, cheering pretty hard for the Kings in this one.

Anaheim Ducks vs Nashville Predators:

Don't like the Ducks, and a lot of their players. Kesler, and Perry, on their own are enough to hate a team. And **** Stoner, that guy can go to hell. Preds fans are a non-traditional market that really embraced their team, and actually fill their building, so good on them, I hope they kick some ass.

Washington Capitals vs Philadelphia Flyers:

My Avatar says it all. Would love, love, love, to see Ovi hoist the Cup. Go Caps!

Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Rangers:

Don't really have a dog in this race. I don't care for either team, but I'd rather not hear how awesome Schultz is all year if the Pens do well.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs Detroit Red Wings:

I really couldn't give less of a ****.

Dallas Stars vs Minnesota Wild:

Ugh. Hate both teams, but I hate Dallas a little bit more. Also, **** Seguin.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

This.

Lets not forget Tyler Johnson is a bonafide elite player, one of the truly best players in the league,:sarcasm: the lighting are so talented they evoke the 80's Oilers, and the Lightning are so good they don't need Stamkos who is a contractual burden.:sarcasm:

I'm glad not to know all the things that those not ignorant about the lightning were telling me. Looks to me like the Lightning have once again been very Stamkos dependent this season and we're about to see what they are made of without him.

Detroit should be fodder though. Who knows, Datsyuk might have a lot to give still before retiring. Hard to know how the Red Wings are going to play. They're a weak playoff club going in.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm a little confused.

The kid wasn't drafted, then killed it in junior.

Starts in the minors, kills it...not only as a rookie in the regular season and in the playoffs where he gets 35 points in 32 playoff games.

He gets the call to the NHL, and jumps right in with two great seasons, and a remarkable run in the playoffs, proving a third time he can get it down in the playoffs in professional leagues.

This assumes that those who dislike Johnson know any of that, which they probably don't. These guys didn't even know who he was halfway through the playoffs last season. Tells you everything you need to know.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Great question! This is who I am rooting for and not who I think may win.

Florida Panthers vs New York Islanders:

Rooting for the Panthers and don't think they get near enough respect.

St. Louis Blues vs Chicago Blackhawks:

Blues. So done with Chicago.

Los Angeles Kings vs San Jose Sharks:

Sharks. Would like to see a nice long run from them. Thorton deserves it.

Anaheim Ducks vs Nashville Predators:

Nashville for sure. Ducks have too many guys I dislike on their roster.

Washington Capitals vs Philadelphia Flyers:

Easily Capitals. Want to see them win the Cup this year and cement Ovechkin's legacy as one of the greatest of all time.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Rangers:

Pittsburgh I guess. Don't really care about either team in this case.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs Detroit Red Wings:

Both are in a world of hurt for different reasons but I like team the Bolts have put together. Too bad they have so many injuries right now.

Dallas Stars vs Minnesota Wild:

The Wild I suppose. The Stars have bred too much ire inside of me over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad