Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I dont remember what he was dealt for but I know he went to 2 other teams before Vegas
because he was dealt for nothing. Karlsson was lost to protect the goalie slot from McPhee, Kolesar was traded for a LV 2nd rounder that became Texier.. so a blind squirrel finds a nut but man we could use the talented Power forward that Keegan is becoming.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
because he was dealt for nothing. Karlsson was lost to protect the goalie slot from McPhee, Kolesar was traded for a LV 2nd rounder that became Texier.. so a blind squirrel finds a nut but man we could use the talented Power forward that Keegan is becoming.
He traded Kolesar because they clearly valued Texier so Im not sure how thats blind squirrel finds a nut. Kolesar is basically a bigger Olivier and people dont even want him in our lineup. They are both good 4th liners but nothing more.

Actually hes not even bigger, I thought he had more of a size advantage on Olivier so thats not even different.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Without looking tell me who we traded Jonathon Marchessault for.. draft well, and develop and allow these guys to work their way into the lineup. Broken teams end up with ex-players doing well all over the league. I think we have drafted really well. I hope to some day see Malatesta, Dumais, Brindley, Whiteclaw in Nationwide. I know they cannot all make it but please God don't trade them away just because someone else is taller or heavier.

edit: I was in no way implying that CBJ would be SC Champs, only that we have had some really talented guys and gave them away in bad decisions. Hindsight is 20/20
I mean I know it was Matt teromina and one other

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
He traded Kolesar because they clearly valued Texier so Im not sure how thats blind squirrel finds a nut. Kolesar is basically a bigger Olivier and people dont even want him in our lineup. They are both good 4th liners but nothing more.

Actually hes not even bigger, I thought he had more of a size advantage on Olivier so thats not even different.
I think they traded Kolesar for a pick that was used to draft Texier in round 2 - pretty sure of that. Kolesar was deemed expendable because we had Josh Anderson in the Power forward role. Then he got hurt and ultimately traded for Domi (who actually has played ok for two teams since). Don't sleep on Keegan though, he has some skill.

I agree with you that they wouldn't be SC Champs.. but the Jackets could have used their skill.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think they traded Kolesar for a pick that was used to draft Texier in round 2 - pretty sure of that. Kolesar was deemed expendable because we had Josh Anderson in the Power forward role. Then he got hurt and ultimately traded for Domi (who actually has played ok for two teams since). Don't sleep on Keegan though, he has some skill.
I was very high on Kolesar and watched many Seattle games because of him. I was very sad to see him traded but yeah I know he was specifically traded for the Texier pick.

That said I think Olivier is on the same level skill wise and hes the one being slept on. If Vegas didnt go on a run and eventually win we wouldnt even be talking about Kolesar.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Like, literally?

I'm just f-ing with you.

We're going to go get a legit 1C and a lot of you are going to gnash teeth and clutch pearls, but by God we're trying to build a champion here and you do that with Veterans and grown men that can play the game at the highest level. You don't do that with kids.

You are going to taste sweet victory rather than just the constant tease of perpetual prospects. Embrace it!

Reactions: Toe Pick

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I was very high on Kolesar and watched many Seattle games because of him. I was very sad to see him traded but yeah I know he was specifically traded for the Texier pick.

That said I think Olivier is on the same level skill wise and hes the one being slept on. If Vegas didnt go on a run and eventually win we wouldnt even be talking about Kolesar.
Just looked at the dates.. you have a good memory. I watch a lot of LV games. Hope you are right on Olivier. I haven't seen it yet.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Like, literally?

I'm just f-ing with you.

We're going to go get a legit 1C and a lot of you are going to gnash teeth and clutch pearls, but by God we're trying to build a champion here and you do that with Veterans and grown men that can play the game at the highest level. You don't do that with kids.

You are going to taste sweet victory rather than just the constant tease of perpetual prospects. Embrace it!
I think you have already seen the Jackets biggest moves of the summer. I won't be surprised if he does add a center but its not an absolute necessity anymore (by his own admission) so its not likely to be anything huge.

Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Trading the 2024 draft pick is reckless and irresponsible. Do not trade that pick
1688180510079.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wheeler would be terrible; he's why Winnipeg's culture has been a toxic wasteland (Scheifele just backed him up).

I think a large part of that was exaggerated by Laine superfans.

Wheeler is also still a very good player.

Doing so would have cost us a 1st.

If he's willing to play for a one-year prove-it deal I'd say "sure, give it a shot", but given how productive he's still been on the wing I kind of doubt it.

I'd much rather have a guy who errs on the side of pushing too hard like Wheeler rather than a guy we know won't put in the effort in Duchene.

I'm not keen on adding anyone but if I was Wheeler would be on my list.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I'd much rather have a guy who errs on the side of pushing too hard like Wheeler rather than a guy we know won't put in the effort in Duchene.

To me, the way he played when the team needed it most, Paul Stastny's statement and reaction to Rick Bowness' words, is enough. I hope I never see him here again. Same goes for Scheifele.

Like, literally?

I'm just f-ing with you.

Perhaps with the exception of St. Louis and Vegas (and even they got lucky with Jack Eichel) all the teams that won the SC had top centers drafted.

Therefore, to trade a soon to be 30 year old center into the top 6 is rather odd, to say the least. It reminds me Rangers policy of taking everything that "bad lies" and then not playing in the PO.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Laine superfans stripped him off C and paid millions just to get rid of him?

Some Jets fans recognized him for a problem then, many didn't. Those who didn't then, won't admit they were wrong now. They'll keep excusing him, even though the stripping of captaincy and buyout happened well after Laine left.

They bet on the wrong horse, I knew it then and time proved it. The Wheeler fans will pretend they really enjoyed his last few years for 8.25 mil per

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They really haven’t, Winnipeg has been a complete sh.. show.

Reactions: Marioesque

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If I want anything right now to improve the team in a big way, it's either Gibson or Raanta. I would also be fine with Korpi.
And then we'll enjoy at how Gibson/Raanta are playing great forgetting that we have a great coach and a better defense. It's tough with Elvis. On the one hand he has a horrible salary to play/money ratio, on the other if he recovers he can still be cheap.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
And then we'll enjoy at how Gibson/Raanta are playing great forgetting that we have a great coach and a better defense. It's tough with Elvis. On the one hand he has a horrible salary to play/money ratio, on the other if he recovers he can still be cheap.
As I stated earlier you can not gamble on Elvis bouncing back and need some insurance. Also you need a veteran top 6 center for short term if you can get it.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Askarov would be the perfect option here, taking the lead over Elvis in 1 or 2 years

The only way Trotz is trading Askarov to Columbus is a deal that centers on something like Jiricek and Elvis for Askarov +. They’ll be looking for a premium asset for Askarov, and knowing Trotz he’ll want a defenseman. They’ll probably take a cap dump to get Jiricek.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
As I stated earlier you can not gamble on Elvis bouncing back and need some insurance. Also you need a veteran top 6 center for short term if you can get it.
We will not be a contender next season. So thanks to Fantilli's draft pick, acquiring a center isn't that important anymore.

Everyone should get a chance, we'll see. But trading him would be a problem for the big salary to his play in the last 3 seasons and M-NTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad