Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
With the under performance the CBJ this year, there are still major holes to fill. I am listing my personal (again means nothing) list of priorities and players that should be targeted. This will also drive the discussion on who should be traded.

1. Top 4D - Gavrikov, Hanifin, Provorov. We seem to be trending towards having our RD kinda of set with possibly Jiricek as the #2 for the future and Boqvist showing growth as of late.
2. Top 6C - Lindholm, Hayes (least favorite - cost)
We have been deficient at the 2C and Jenner has been a bright-spot playing above his head at the 1C, but even if we get a top 3 pick we a probably 1 to 3 seasons for that pick to take on the 1C role. If we get a C at all in this draft?
3. Goaltending - Demko, Korpi, Saros
I think Elvis is a good guy but needs a change of scenery. I don’t feel like they are going to change coaching staff and that is what I feel like Elvis needs. Tarasov is hurt too much right now to turn over the reins.

With these adds here are players that I feel that are not in the long-term plans

Roslovic
Bemstrom?
Foudy?
Bean?
Bayreuther
Elvis?

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Need a #1 Center. When we don't get Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlson, I think we'll trade the pick in a package for a Center. I'd have no problem trading that pick + + for Lindholm. I'd have a huge problem trading that pick for Hayes.

I want two veteran D-men who can log 20 min+ every night. One for the top pair and one for the second pair. I'll take LD Ryan Graves and if there is a RD version of him, that would be great too. I don't want us forcing Jiricek up to the first line before he's ready.
So if we have:
Werenski- Vet RD
Vet LD- Jiricek
?- Gudbranson
Then we have the killer bees (Bean, Boqvist, Blankenburg, Berni, Bayreuther,) and Peeke fighting over one remaining spot and maybe two press box spots. Cuelemans, Svozil, and Mateychuk on the way. I could see us moving at least one if not 2 of the killer bees in order to get a C or a Vet D.

My top 9 are as follows:
Johnny, Laine, New Center, Johnson, Marchenko, Boone... as you can see that's only 6.
I'll be more than willing to let the pros fill out the bottom two lines. Some combination of Sillinger, Roslovic, Voronkov, Tex, Olivier, Robinson, etc. I don't really care which of them stay and which of them go. On the shopping list: I wouldn't mind a decent winger with some size who can play on the second or third line, but I wouldn't overspend on that guy until we know what we have in Voronkov.

Goalie- I think we are stuck with Elvis and Tarasov for now, unless we trade Tarasov to help upgrade something else in the lineup. Shopping list: I wouldn't mind using our second round pick on a goalie prospect if there is someone worthy there.

Coaching: I don't see us making a move on Larson until if/when we start off like crap next season.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gaudreau-Jenner-Marchenko
Chinakhov-Johnson-Laine
Texier-Sillinger-Danforth
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier

Potentially what Id expect going into next year with no moves other than Roslovic hopefully disappearing. Room for improvement but by no means terrible.

Defense is almost impossible to map out without some changes. Can any of the righties play LD?

Werenski-Jiricek
Peeke-Boqvist
Bean/Blankenburg/Gudbranson

I dont love Jiricek with Werenski, I dont know if Peeke-Boqvist works at all. The Hanifan suggestion isnt bad. Ryan Graves may shake loose from NJ. At the end of the day priorty 1 is a solid LD. Likely followed by a cheapish veteran goalie. If a top center comes around for a good price you have to explore it but I think the need is a bit overrated currently.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lottery plays a big part in it.
If they land a top3 then

#1 is quality top4, under 30y.
#2 Crouse/Bertuzzi type of u30 veteran.
If they don’t get Carlsson/Fantilli their top6/9 looks very small/weak. Need more grit and veteran presence.
#3 figure out the goaltending.

If they land Michkov/Benson then quality u30 C becomes a priority.
I’d go ”all in” for Elias Lindholm at that point.

Don’t really see need for more next summer desperately.
(I’m not a believer in coaching has to be said)

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I'll post this here instead of the Game 62 thread where the original quote from @NotCommitted :

Re Korpi, he was pretty bad for a couple seasons, most likely because of his hips, which is a perfectly fine excuse but not great for convincing people you should be signed as the #1 goalie long term. Haven't seen the interview myself, but someone in some other thread said Korpi had admitted in an interview his mobility isn't what it used to be after the surgery, which has meant he had to adjust his style. Confirms a couple things I noticed in his game, mainly that he was consciously putting effort in staying calm and playing the angles and that he was struggling at times getting from post to post. I really like Korpi, I hope his hips won't bother him for the rest of his career and if that's the case, it might be a few years from now we'll REALLY be wishing they'd given the contract to him instead, but I completely understand why they didn't. Elvis this season is .880% and we all know how bad he's been. Korpisalo last year was .877% and .894% the year before that. Both seasons when Elvis actually put up respectable numbers, though obviously last season is a moot point since the contract was already signed then.
Yeah sorry I forgot to add the link (I felt it was a surprisingly honest interview, maybe in Finnish he just told it as it is without any of the "PR speak" you usually hear in post-game etc):

Gonna miss him. :(

I hope Elvis finds his groove a bit for next season, as that would be the easiest solution to our goalie dilemma. We don't need him to be a super hero or same/better than Korpi was this year; I think I'd settle for the Elvis we've seen in the last couple of games from him. It might be good enough to fight for a playoff spot.

Before the Preds signed Lankinen (1 year, $2M) I thought he might be a sneaky good candidate but now I just think maybe we ride Elvis and hope for the best next season. Then figure out if we need to upgrade after next season. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for Demko, and Saros is going to cost two arms and legs...

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Unpopular opinion, but I like our team as it is when everyone is healthy.
Getting Texier and Danforth back will help up front . And of course our 1st pick in the draft will potentially be in the line up
D is going to be competitive, battle for regular spots.
And I believe Elvis to return to form. And Tarasov will fill in as back up.

If I had to make a couple moves, it would be to add vet (like Hayes..... not saying it should be Hayes, someone like that) - but the biggest move would be a coaching change. The right coach will bring out the best.

Reactions: Jovavic

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Getting Texier and Danforth back will help up front . And of course our 1st pick in the draft will potentially be in the line up

If I had to make a couple moves, it would be to add vet (like Hayes..... not saying it should be Hayes, someone like that) - but the biggest move would be a coaching change. The right coach will bring out the best.
The bigger problem is the back end. Losing Gavrikov is going to hurt worse more than people believe.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's difficult to make a roster. Boqvist has started to show his potential, Voronkov is a strong boy who can playte next season in the NHL. If Johnson, Bean will be stronger, we don't have to deal with the issue of centre and LD. We can even link Boqvist and Bean together. When they played together (in the first season here), they complemented each other very well (except play at the boards). Etc, etc. So we don't know what the priorities will be.
Simply, we'll see.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I target 3 players this off season...

1) Shane Pinto - 22yo top 6 C with upside and size. Likes to shoot. Good fit with Johnny

2) Rasmus Anderson - can play with Z on top pair RD with 4yrs left on contact. Size, good skater, experience. $4.5AAV and Calgary may look to move guys.

3) Devon Toews - 2nd pair LD with experience and good 2-way game. 2 years to UFA and Avs have Byram to sign. Would be a great stop gap until Mateychuk is ready.

We have the assets to swing for any and all. Fit core, cost controlled and all don't require CBJ 2023 pick. That's my dream

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I target 3 players this off season...

1) Shane Pinto - 22yo top 6 C with upside and size. Likes to shoot. Good fit with Johnny

2) Rasmus Anderson - can play with Z on top pair RD with 4yrs left on contact. Size, good skater, experience. $4.5AAV and Calgary may look to move guys.

3) Devon Toews - 2nd pair LD with experience and good 2-way game. 2 years to UFA and Avs have Byram to sign. Would be a great stop gap until Mateychuk is ready.

We have the assets to swing for any and all. Fit core, cost controlled and all don't require CBJ 2023 pick. That's my dream
I don't know if it's true, but supposedly he's supposed to play center and Stuzle, after Norris return, should move
to the wing. At least that's what a Ottawa fan claimed to me. But the true Stuzle is either C or LW and Senators have Tkachuk, DeBrincat there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They definitely need a vet on the blueline to stop the bleeding.
Otherwise it’s far too young.

Jiricek should start to stabilize the RD side next year(and forwards) and then they need 1 LD to stabilize the left side

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel like Toews gets a bit overrated but still, if he prices himself out of Colorado a top 4 with him included isnt terrible.
Werenski-Peeke
Toews-Jiricek
Boqvist-Gudbranson maybe? could be an adventure but Gudbranson wont play 21 minutes a night like this season.

Or even try and steal Byram from them as he is an RFA after the season. Not a vet but unbelievably good at 21.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Off-season wishlist:

Top-line center
Second line center
Top pairing RHD
Second pairing LHD

I don’t have faith that any of these positions will be adequately filled barring some sort of miracle

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I feel like Toews gets a bit overrated but still, if he prices himself out of Colorado a top 4 with him included isnt terrible.
Werenski-Peeke
Toews-Jiricek
Boqvist-Gudbranson maybe? could be an adventure but Gudbranson wont play 21 minutes a night like this season.

Or even try and steal Byram from them as he is an RFA after the season. Not a vet but unbelievably good at 21.

If Peeke is on the top pair it’ll be another long, awful season. He’s at best a third pairing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad