Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think we need goaltender depth but I think Elvis deserves an opportunity to play behind a team with a semblance of defensive structure before he gets throw to the wolves. We know what he is capable of being but last year was a disaster for many people.
Yes the team needs to add at goaltender, IMO, but the first thing in addressing the position should not be to discard a player at an already-thin position.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I would happily take Duchene (4.M) for two years if I could jettison Roslovic. He is still a legitimate top 6 forward at wing who possibly could play some center. (The guy is still good in the dot). Top 6: Johnny, Laine, KJ, Marchenko, Boone/Fantilli , Duchene…..3rd line of Tex, Voronko, Sillinger, Chinakov. Boone (2024). I think that could be a talented deep top 9

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would happily take Duchene (4.M) for two years if I could jettison Roslovic. He is still a legitimate top 6 forward at wing who possibly could play some center. (The guy is still good in the dot). Top 6: Johnny, Laine, KJ, Marchenko, Boone/Fratilli , Duchene…..3rd line of Tex, Voronko, Sillinger, Chinakov. Boone (2024). I think that could be a talented deep top 9
You’ve got some Goonie in your spelling of our new draft pick.

Reactions: Cowumbus

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Hey buddies
Am I the only one who thinks that Jarmo should take advantage of the available goalkeeper market to improve this position as a priority ?
I know Elvis' contract is hard to move but I don't think he'll be the goalie to take the team far in the playoffs.
I'd be interested in Hart, but in general I feel it would be a bit tough to get a new 1G right now because Elvis has such an expensive and long contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From what I remember jarmo didn’t even offer him an extension after the 2019 season. I wonder if he wouldn’t want to come here because of that. Or if jarmo doesn’t even want him.

It was pretty much given he was going to Nashville

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Again: Duchene is not a center anymore. Hasn't been for years.
Any reason why they didn’t play him there? Because if it was just for depth down the middle reasons I’d be very open to him returning on a 2 year deal if he can still play the position.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Any reason why they didn’t play him there? Because if it was just for depth down the middle reasons I’d be very open to him returning on a 2 year deal if he can still play the position.
Also “hasn’t been for years” = 2 years if you look at his faceoff numbers. The amount of faceoffs he’s taken has only really dropped in the last 2 full seasons since Covid.

Let’s not make it sound like he hasn’t played center since the Kennedy administration.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He was signed with the initial intention of playing him at center. He was ultimately beat out by Mikael Granlund. He's had something of a production renissance since being moved to the wing.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He was signed with the initial intention of playing him at center. He was ultimately beat out by Mikael Granlund. He's had something of a production renissance since being moved to the wing.
As someone who watches plenty of preds, do you think he could still do it?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As someone who watches plenty of preds, do you think he could still do it?
The Duchene I've seen lately would make Roslovic look competent in the position. There's another Preds fan who had a better scouting report on the mains, tho:
He is completely incompetent as a center IMO. Like, he can't do it. Full stop.

I don't know what he did on some other teams in the past, I sure had a different picture in my head of who Matt Duchene was before he came to Nashville. Now I've watched him for 4 years here. And there's no way I would even dream of using him at center.

The problem is, he just doesn't see or use his linemates at all. And then defense is a foreign concept to him, he is completely uninterested in even trying to play any defense.

So what does he do? He still skates really well, has good hands. He's skilled enough on offense to get 30+ goals, be a 30/30 player, I have no doubt. His main style is just to skate the puck himself into the other zone, and see where that leads. If he finds a seam to the net, bonus. A lot of the time he instead finds himself in the corner and the play dies. But he's still good enough at it that he'll put up points; enough of the time his things will work to get those decent numbers.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We need a little physicality and grit on each line so I'm thinking something along the lines of

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko
Roslovic - Jenner - Laine
Chinakov - Johnson - Texier
Foudy - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier/Robinson

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Bean - Gudbranson
Peeke/Blankenberg

Elvis
Tarasov

Fantilli and Jenner can switch if need be. I think we need to end the Roslovic at center experiment, take away some responsibility from him and make him simply his game and see if we can get him to produce. If not, it's time to move on.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We need a little physicality and grit on each line so I'm thinking something along the lines of

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko
Roslovic - Jenner - Laine
Chinakov - Johnson - Texier
Foudy - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier/Robinson

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Bean - Gudbranson
Peeke/Blankenberg

Elvis
Tarasov

Fantilli and Jenner can switch if need be. I think we need to end the Roslovic at center experiment, take away some responsibility from him and make him simply his game and see if we can get him to produce. If not, it's time to move on.

Johnson needs a legit top6 role/talent

This is a massive year for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad