Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why wait. I hear there is another good prospect at the top of the draft. Better than Fantilli in the USHL and will be the youngest in the NCAA next year (maybe that's the 2025 kid....). I think we should start if every year and that way when there is hope, it puts us on the upswing rather than have to fade to black...
Misa

He has billboards all over Saginaw. “Don’t Misa Moment”

Nvm you’re talking college guys, Eiserman Celebrini or Hagens?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Misa

He has billboards all over Saginaw. “Don’t Misa Moment”

Nvm you’re talking college guys, Eiserman Celebrini or Hagens?
He's talking about Celebrini. But if the Blue Jackets are in this position again next year, no shiny new toy player can help them.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for posting these.

I'm glad Kent Johnson is a great hockey player because he's a terrible interview. My favorite line after being asked if would be following the draft lottery:

"I've got some buddies that are expected to go high."

These guys all seem humbled and accountable as a group as they begin to move past this season. Lets hope it translates and they live up to their off season commitments as they move forward to next year and beyond.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Biggest takeaway from those exit interviews is that the Laine to center move seems legit. Laine said he's the most excited he's been in a long time to make the change and that he's talked with management about it. That move alone would be massive and could have a big impact on the moves we make moving forward.

Reactions: CBJ goalie

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kekalainen, though, doesn’t think they’re far from being competitive. This is the third straight season the Jackets have missed the playoffs.

“Once we get healthy, with the guys we have here, this is going to look like a completely different team,” he said. “But there’s going to be changes, too. We’re going to look at every position and we’re going to make necessary changes.

“We want to get back to the playoffs. We’ve had enough of being on the outside looking in and watching the playoffs on TV. The reason we did this reset, or whatever you want to call it, is to get to the next level and be able to compete for the Stanley Cup. We need to get there soon, and we need to improve in all areas to get there.

Once again used the “reset” term and not rebuild.

I think jarmo is going to be extremely aggressive in not just filling holes on the roster but changing the attitude in the room.

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Biggest takeaway from those exit interviews is that the Laine to center move seems legit. Laine said he's the most excited he's been in a long time to make the change and that he's talked with management about it. That move alone would be massive and could have a big impact on the moves we make moving forward.
Maybe in his eyes. I doubt it’s set in stone. The new coach is going to whip his ass, if he’s even here. I hope he’s ready for it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe in his eyes. I doubt it’s set in stone. The new coach is going to whip his ass, if he’s even here. I hope he’s ready for it.
If you compare players, Laine is one of the ones with the fewest pretensions (not to be confused with the word "none"). So if the coach is fair, no player, including Patrik, should be in trouble.
To his play on the center. I think it depends not only on the player drafted, but also on how Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger develop. If Kent doesn't get stronger, he can't play center. Something similar can be said about Cole. But he also needs to improve his skating.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Whip his ass for what? Genuine question, what do you see currently in his game that would suggest that?

Reactions: Monk

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Yeah it definitely seems a real possibility, though there's a long way to go for that to happen, they're not going to make that move just because it makes him feel excited :) But those 2 games were very promising and no matter what some people say about his work ethic or whatever, we're talking about a person who entered the league as an 18-yo with probably the best shot in the world at the time and it's a pretty ridiculous idea he just lazied himself into it. So if he's really that passionate and serious about putting in the work to make that switch, I wouldn't bet against him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah it definitely seems a real possibility, though there's a long way to go for that to happen, they're not going to make that move just because it makes him feel excited :) But those 2 games were very promising and no matter what some people say about his work ethic or whatever, we're talking about a person who entered the league as an 18-yo with probably the best shot in the world at the time and it's a pretty ridiculous idea he just lazied himself into it. So if he's really that passionate and serious about putting in the work to make that switch, I wouldn't bet against him.
Oh I'm extremely skeptical that it's actually going to pan out, changes like that in the middle of someone's career are extremely rare and those changes actually working are even more rare.

But it would be pretty exciting if it did.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Even if we get one of the top 3 Cs in the draft, we still need a veteran Top 6 C to slide in there and move Boone back to wing in the middle 6. A vet top that's lacking in intensity (Hayes, Johansen) should not be the target.

Reactions: Toe Pick and I3LI3

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Even if we get one of the top 3 Cs in the draft, we still need a veteran Top 6 C to slide in there and move Boone back to wing in the middle 6. A vet top that's lacking in intensity (Hayes, Johansen) should not be the target.

I have no problem with Boone being at center. If you can get a real upgrade like Backlund then go for it, but there's a lot of 2Cs that I wouldn't take over Boone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad