Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
KAM is a name that comes up around here when we dream about forcing a cash straped teams hand. Another one Id like even more is Bowen Byram. Yeah there are concerns but sometimes those are the only reason a guy like that could be had

It’s just tough to figure out the assets for Byram without Johnson or the top5 pick.

Toews is probably more likely on the move from that lineup.
Clearly older+ more expensive

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It’s just tough to figure out the assets for Byram without Johnson or the top5 pick.

Toews is probably more likely on the move from that lineup.
Clearly older+ more expensive
Or like the NY option just focus on offersheets and stop being scared to use them. Im assuming that means next years 1st unprotected but adding Werenski, Jiricek, top pick this year and whatever other moves Jarmo can make likely gets us a decent ways from the bottom pretty quickly

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Or like the NY option just focus on offersheets and stop being scared to use them. Im assuming that means next years 1st unprotected but adding Werenski, Jiricek, top pick this year and whatever other moves Jarmo can make likely gets us a decent ways from the bottom pretty quickly
Couldn’t you also just tell the team we plan to offer sheet player X which will cost us Y. Otherwise, we are prepared to offer you Z for player X. You choose sort of deal?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Couldn’t you also just tell the team we plan to offer sheet player X which will cost us Y. Otherwise, we are prepared to offer you Z for player X. You choose sort of deal?
Maybe but your either overpaying on a contract and picks or you are paying a ton of assets. Either way will be expensive

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think it's been discussed but as I keep looking at LHD options I keep drifting to Shea Theodore from Vegas. 2 years left at $5.2AAV and has a M-NTC that kicks in next year (July 1st). I'm not sure Vegas would make him available but I do think he would be a good fit and having the LAK 1st as a starting point (I'm sure more would be needed) might have some appear to Vegas. Clearly they've shown they don't care how they treat their players as we've seen from free agency and other trades. Just a thought. As I've said before I'm more interested in a shorter term (3-4 years would be ideal I would think, so this is only 2) but could be a very solid addition. Again, probably not available but... Saw the Hanifin discussion on the mains and while I like that too, I also like Theodore from a LHD standpoint... via trade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's been discussed but as I keep looking at LHD options I keep drifting to Shea Theodore from Vegas. 2 years left at $5.2AAV and has a M-NTC that kicks in next year (July 1st). I'm not sure Vegas would make him available but I do think he would be a good fit and having the LAK 1st as a starting point (I'm sure more would be needed) might have some appear to Vegas. Clearly they've shown they don't care how they treat their players as we've seen from free agency and other trades. Just a thought. As I've said before I'm more interested in a shorter term (3-4 years would be ideal I would think, so this is only 2) but could be a very solid addition. Again, probably not available but... Saw the Hanifin discussion on the mains and while I like that too, I also like Theodore from a LHD standpoint... via trade.

The difference is that Hanifin is like the 4th best D on the Flames, while Theodore is the best D on the Knights (though Pietro is having a nice bounce back year). They have no reason to move him. Flames might move Hanifin to reallocate cap space.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The difference is that Hanifin is like the 4th best D on the Flames, while Theodore is the best D on the Knights (though Pietro is having a nice bounce back year). They have no reason to move him. Flames might move Hanifin to reallocate cap space.
theodore is the kind of player they move cap to keep, not the kind of player they move for cap space

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
...and if the Jackets had Connor McD and Leon and Cale Makar and better announcers they'd be a lot better. Stupid what if.

And besides even if those things were true i doubt that outcome is controllable.
The teams are also polar opposites. Jackets are a young team in the midst of a rebuild while Boston is a team full of old vets trying to compete for a cup during the last few years of their window.

Reactions: thebus88 and VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you had the choice who would you sign Orlov, Gavrikov or Graves?

If you can get him to sign a 3 or 4 year deal, Orlov. But that's a bit unlikely.

Money held constant I'd rather have Gavrikov than Graves. My guess is that Graves will be best value. But it's just a guess. Maybe there are a lot of GMs out there eager to pay Graves $5m x 5.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Possible lineup for next year thoughts?

IMG_0003.jpeg

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Possible lineup for next year thoughts?

View attachment 683747
I would say flip Laine and Marchenko as well as Kuraly and Voronkov. I would love to see a KJ Marchy duo build some chemistry, but on a line with Bedard I think he wouldn't get to blast as many shots as he'd like. Which would be perfect on that first line. Laine if he keeps playing like he was this past season especially while playing center could benefit from a playmaker like KJ and another goal scoring threat to draw the focus to Bedard giving him more space in theory. And that 4th line was so good this year, don't mess it up until it stops working.

Lastly, if Ros is a healthy scratch, he's gonna get traded, if he can't keep his spot he needs to get moved.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill
If he is doing well

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I would say flip Laine and Marchenko as well as Kuraly and Voronkov. I would love to see a KJ Marchy duo build some chemistry, but on a line with Bedard I think he wouldn't get to blast as many shots as he'd like. Which would be perfect on that first line. Laine if he keeps playing like he was this past season especially while playing center could benefit from a playmaker like KJ and another goal scoring threat to draw the focus to Bedard giving him more space in theory. And that 4th line was so good this year, don't mess it up until it stops working.

Lastly, if Ros is a healthy scratch, he's gonna get traded, if he can't keep his spot he needs to get moved.
I was thinking exactly the same on Roslovic (trade) but looking at that line-up it should be good. Considering keeping Sillinger in the AHL and bringing him up (if he is doing well) by mid-season to next season. This would allow some flexibility in moving Jenner around. This is all predicated we get a top 4 LD and CB, AF or LC.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If you can get him to sign a 3 or 4 year deal, Orlov. But that's a bit unlikely.

Money held constant I'd rather have Gavrikov than Graves. My guess is that Graves will be best value. But it's just a guess. Maybe there are a lot of GMs out there eager to pay Graves $5m x 5.

If Orlov was willing to sign such a deal he’d have stayed in Washington or Boston would sign him to an extension

He’s going to get a contract he won’t be worth.
As a player he’d be an ideal fit

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree you keep Marchenko on the first line with Johnny. They really seem to have developed a chemistry that Johnny and Laine have never shown. I aso agree that a line of KJ, Bedard and Laine could be explosive, almost a 1A line.

Reactions: CBJx614

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I agree you keep Marchenko on the first line with Johnny. They really seem to have developed a chemistry that Johnny and Laine have never shown. I aso agree that a line of KJ, Bedard and Laine could be explosive, almost a 1A line.

& a line with any rookie/young C needs more experience on the wings

Reactions: CBJx614
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad