Speculation: Armchair GM - 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Johnson needs a legit top6 role/talent

This is a massive year for him

Yeah he does, there's no way I'd play Roslovic ahead of him in the lineup. Or Roslovic ahead of Chinakhov for that matter.
Lines are fluid it's not like they'd stay that way all season. I put him there to try to jump start him. Throw him on wing and try to get him going if not, switch it up.

Reactions: Marioesque

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I find the value of our next years 1st round draft pick to fascinating.

We don’t need more prospects. We think/hope that pick will be at least mid draft. But anyone we are trading it to is probably going to perceive it to be an early pick with high value.

We should be able to make a good acquisition with it

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah he does, there's no way I'd play Roslovic ahead of him in the lineup. Or Roslovic ahead of Chinakhov for that matter.
Put me in the trade Ros now camp, even if it’s a trade for unfulfilled potential with a year left for similar salary. Ros is like the girl in high school who‘s teasing creates excitement until you finally realize it’s never going to happen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lines are fluid it's not like they'd stay that way all season. I put him there to try to jump start him. Throw him on wing and try to get him going if not, switch it up.

Johnson is one of the most skilled guys they have.

If they want to be successfull next season and see Johnson grow he needs top6 and the best linemates

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Good point about that 2024 first round pick

I am not a big Jarmo fan, but my goodness he has really stacked the system with prospects even before adding the first three picks from this year. We really are sitting pretty right now.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am not aware of any statement by CBJ officials that Johnson is not “top six “. It is just that he is a wing not a center

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Johnson is one of the most skilled guys they have.

If they want to be successfull next season and see Johnson grow he needs top6 and the best linemates

Absolutely this. Elite hockey minds need to play with others like them to learn further and be challenged. He needs to play with Johnny or Patty (or both) in the top 6 and maybe 2nd PP. That will further develop him as a player. Fantilli should be there too for the same reason.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Player in, player out

Kekalainen said he didn’t expect the NHL Draft to have an impact on the Blue Jackets’ plans in free agency. But then Fantilli fell into their laps at No. 3 when Anaheim bucked convention and drafted center Leo Carlsson with the No. 2 pick.

Now, with Fantilli in the fold, the Blue Jackets have 17 forwards who are either expected to have regular lineup spots or have one-way contracts. The standard practice in the NHL is to carry 13 or 14 forwards during the regular season.

The back end is crowded, too. There are eight defensemen with one-way contracts, plus rookie David Jiricek, who is expected to challenge for a roster spot after a strong first pro season with AHL Cleveland this past season.

With that as the backdrop, the Blue Jackets are expected to tread lightly on Saturday when free agency opens across the league.

“This could make our decisions a little bit harder now that we feel we’re going to get a roster player (in Fantilli) for next season,” Kekalainen said. “We already have quite a big number of them. You can only have 23 on your roster, so we’re probably going to have to do something if we get into the UFA market.”

The Blue Jackets were expected to pursue a center, either via free agency of the trade market. It could still happen, of course, but the Jackets’ depth chart down the middle now includes six NHL candidates: Boone Jenner, Jack Roslovic, Cole Sillinger, Sean Kuraly, Dmitry Voronkov and Fantilli.

It’s easy to move a center to the wing, but the Blue Jackets have an abundance of wingers, too. Johnny Gaudreau, Kent Johnson and Alexandre Texier will battle for top-six minutes on the left side, and Patrik Laine, Kirill Marchenko and Yegor Chinakhov are on the mix on the right side.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Toronto has tried that too with different results. Vegas not being afraid to move on from guys is probably something teams can learn from. Funny enough Toronto should lead the list of teams ready to make a splash with theircore
Didn't Vegas just win the SC with three ex Blue Jackets? Jonathon Marchessault, Wild Bill Karlsson and Keegan Kolesar? Maybe we have been picking the right guys and we just need to keep them and develop them eh?

Reactions: Viqsi

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Didn't Vegas just win the SC with three ex Blue Jackets? Jonathon Marchessault, Wild Bill Karlsson and Keegan Kolesar? Maybe we have been picking the right guys and we just need to keep them and develop them eh?
I wouldnt go that far. Correlation does equal causation. If we had those players now they wouldnt be Stanley Cup champions. You need a lot to go right and sometimes a player needs a change to take the next step

Reactions: majormajor

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I wouldnt go that far. Correlation does equal causation. If we had those players now they wouldnt be Stanley Cup champions. You need a lot to go right and sometimes a player needs a change to take the next step
Without looking tell me who we traded Jonathon Marchessault for.. draft well, and develop and allow these guys to work their way into the lineup. Broken teams end up with ex-players doing well all over the league. I think we have drafted really well. I hope to some day see Malatesta, Dumais, Brindley, Whiteclaw in Nationwide. I know they cannot all make it but please God don't trade them away just because someone else is taller or heavier.

edit: I was in no way implying that CBJ would be SC Champs, only that we have had some really talented guys and gave them away in bad decisions. Hindsight is 20/20

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Without looking tell me who we traded Jonathon Marchessault for.. draft well, and develop and allow these guys to work their way into the lineup. Broken teams end up with ex-players doing well all over the league. I think we have drafted really well. I hope to some day see Malatesta, Dumais, Brindley, Whiteclaw in Nationwide. I know they cannot all make it but please God don't trade them away just because someone else is taller or heavier.

edit: I was in no way implying that CBJ would be SC Champs, only that we have had some really talented guys and gave them away in bad decisions. Hindsight is 20/20
I dont remember what he was dealt for but I know he went to 2 other teams before Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino