All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
https://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/...i-ole-mitaan-syyta--miksi-en-lahtisi/9RNDQM4E

20th Jan, 2016.
(The article is about Jalonen and how he had to prove himself (and has definitely done it). Google Translate will help hopefully.

(Free translation)

Why wouldn't you go and try out coaching in the NHL?

Jalonen chuckles.

"Good question. I don't have a reason not to try it. I've never had a strong opinion for or against it. Now that I've done well and actually played against NHL caliber teams, I've noticed that I would not do poorly there. All I have are excuses. Now that I have a bit of age, I've started to think that I've got to try that someday."

If the situation does not improve itself, get Jalonen. Here is an answer on a plate, Jets. He is willing and definitely able.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Alot of fans aren't crazy about Tippet but he would instantly turn this team around defensively. Tippet didn't have much talent in Phoenix but at least he got them playing a sound defensive system...good enough to take them to the WCF one year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
https://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/...i-ole-mitaan-syyta--miksi-en-lahtisi/9RNDQM4E

20th Jan, 2016.
(The article is about Jalonen and how he had to prove himself (and has definitely done it). Google Translate will help hopefully.

(Free translation)

Why wouldn't you go and try out coaching in the NHL?

Jalonen chuckles.

"Good question. I don't have a reason not to try it. I've never had a strong opinion for or against it. Now that I've done well and actually played against NHL caliber teams, I've noticed that I would not do poorly there. All I have are excuses. Now that I have a bit of age, I've started to think that I've got to try that someday."

If the situation does not improve itself, get Jalonen. Here is an answer on a plate, Jets. He is willing and definitely able.

Wow, had no clue whatsover. That's news to me. Wonder if the KHL coaches have any NHL clauses? I'm entirely off the charts what comes down to coach contracts. Then again, if by some miracle The Jets management knew about him, how could they even pry him out of the contract with Jokerit? I can't see it. Either case, he couldn't save this season at hands for he is already tied up.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Big question is, could Jalonen deal with NHL-sized egos? Has he ever had to deal with a Buff personality? Maybe I'm off base, but I can't see this being as big a problem in Finland or Russia.

Reactions: Crocket

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Big question is, could Jalonen deal with NHL-sized egos? Has he ever had to deal with a Buff personality? Maybe I'm off base, but I can't see this being as big a problem in Finland or Russia.

The article is actually quite fascinating because he talks about proving himself. He was never a pro-player himself so nobody in the locker room trusted him, and he trusted no-one in the locker room. He just killed it in any situation, with any team.

Without any real evidence, I'm going to say that he would eat Buff for breakfast.

13-3-8277101.jpg

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Wow, had no clue whatsover. That's news to me. Wonder if the KHL coaches have any NHL clauses? I'm entirely off the charts what comes down to coach contracts. Then again, if by some miracle The Jets management knew about him, how could they even pry him out of the contract with Jokerit? I can't see it. Either case, he couldn't save this season at hands for he is already tied up.

I'm also pretty lost about these things (like a lot of things), but as I understand he is not the Jokerit coach next season, but is coaching the Finnish National Team for the next two seasons. He is as close to a free agent as can be maybe?

I would get on that like a crazy person gets on porridge if I were the Jets management, but let's let Maurice show what he's got first.

(like it's going to happen anyway, but what an awesome move it would be)

EDIT: Fun fact
  • Along with Mike Babcock, Jalonen is the only coach in history to have won both IIHF World Championships and IIHF World U20 Championships.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Ralph Kruger is a horrible coach. Stop bringing up nonsense names like him and some finnish coach. It wont happen. Its going to be Ducky, Sutter, or Tippett a fellow manitoban

I personally can't see us having Ducky this soon and I absolutely could be wrong. Sure he is a former player and the players might respect that he is from the old school ala Carlyle but he hasn't cut his teeth in coaching anything other than kids at this point. I think he would need some AHL experience and show success in a higher platform of pro hockey before they hand the reigns over to him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

No big egos amongst Russian players? You sure of that? :laugh:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Ralph Kruger is a horrible coach. Stop bringing up nonsense names like him and some finnish coach. It wont happen. Its going to be Ducky, Sutter, or Tippett a fellow manitoban

It would be interesting if they did hire Hawerchuk to be head coach and then he brought in Paul MacLean and Scott Arniel as his assistants as they were all teammates on the Jets 1.0.

:jets

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm also pretty lost about these things (like a lot of things), but as I understand he is not the Jokerit coach next season, but is coaching the Finnish National Team for the next two seasons. He is as close to a free agent as can be maybe?

I would get on that like a crazy person gets on porridge if I were the Jets management, but let's let Maurice show what he's got first.

(like it's going to happen anyway, but what an awesome move it would be)

EDIT: Fun fact
  • Along with Mike Babcock, Jalonen is the only coach in history to have won both IIHF World Championships and IIHF World U20 Championships.

Yeah I knew he was committed to Finnish National team but I don't know if you can do that at the same time as managing a team outside the international ice. So available after the season? Pretty much possible. On the sight after the Jets management decides to start caring about their fans? Slight chance. An ideal coach for the Jets to check up on after PaMo's stack of cards fall? Absolutely, why not.

That said, we've seen enough of Maurice already and now that he just released his line ups again, even I'm starting to get fed up with the crap. No ESL nor any change in the top 6 for that matter. I'm actually starting to wonder if they are worried about Laine's next contract, because he should be the one going up (if not Scheifele down) since the team isn't scoring. Doesn't make sense. Not only being incompetent to fix the top six, but benching Armia due to one bad game after being one of the best players night in, night out (16-17 included). What a joke of a coach, really.

G'luck to whoever are planning to watch the game live, I'm off to bed and maybe watch the game from the box when I get home after work. Wonder what the ticket sales look like half way through the season. :D

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jalonen seems too out-of-the-box for the staid Jets.

And why is Hawerchuk on everyone's radar? Nostalgia? I'd prefer a different method of selection to pick a coach for the Jets. He's never won anything in the OHL. Missed the playoffs last year with an abysmal 17-44-7 record. What's the case to make him an NHL head coach?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah I knew he was committed to Finnish National team but I don't know if you can do that at the same time as managing a team outside the international ice. So available after the season? Pretty much possible. On the sight after the Jets management decides to start caring about their fans? Slight chance. An ideal coach for the Jets to check up on after PaMo's stack of cards fall? Absolutely, why not.

That said, we've seen enough of Maurice already and now that he just released his line ups again, even I'm starting to get fed up with the crap. No ESL nor any change in the top 6 for that matter. I'm actually starting to wonder if they are worried about Laine's next contract, because he should be the one going up (if not Scheifele down) since the team isn't scoring. Doesn't make sense. Not only being incompetent to fix the top six, but benching Armia due to one bad game after being one of the best players night in, night out (16-17 included). What a joke of a coach, really.

G'luck to whoever are planning to watch the game live, I'm off to bed and maybe watch the game from the box when I get home after work. Wonder what the ticket sales look like half way through the season. :D

I have no clue about these contract situations, but if the Jets indeed have deep pockets as some have said, I would just throw money at the problem and hopefully you pay a hefty penalty and that is it and you get the Finnish version of Babcock (really respect that guy).

From what I understand, it is a fairly good quality to be a passive GM. More mistakes are made the other way. I just see crucial decisions ahead for this organization. This is for sure premature, but let's ignore that and say that it is pre-preemptive. I will gladly look like a fool. Make me look like a fool Maurice. Tonight.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
A completely "outside the box" selection for coach is probably the way to go for a small market team like Winnipeg. It's a gamble but it's a chance to land the next great coach because we are not getting big names like Babcock or Quenneville (even if they were available) to come coach for us IMO. So from that perspective, I am intrigued by this talk of Jalonen.

However, I have a few questions:

1) What is it about Jalonen that makes people think he would be a great coach?
2) Would his style translate well into NHL size rink/play style?
3) Does he have a sufficient command of the English language for the job?

I ask out of interest because TNSE seems a bit too conservative to go out on that much of a limb to hire a guy from Europe. Even more so, if Chevy cans Maurice he's got to know he's next on the hotseat and that might make Chevy even MORE conservative than he usually is this making such a bold move unlikely.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
A completely "outside the box" selection for coach is probably the way to go for a small market team like Winnipeg. It's a gamble but it's a chance to land the next great coach because we are not getting big names like Babcock or Quenneville (even if they were available) to come coach for us IMO. So from that perspective, I am intrigued by this talk of Jalonen.

However, I have a few questions:

1) What is it about Jalonen that makes people think he would be a great coach?
2) Would his style translate well into NHL size rink/play style?
3) Does he have a sufficient command of the English language for the job?

I ask out of interest because TNSE seems a bit too conservative to go out on that much of a limb to hire a guy from Europe. Even more so, if Chevy cans Maurice he's got to know he's next on the hotseat and that might make Chevy even MORE conservative than he usually is this making such a bold move unlikely.

Yup. Seems that conservative is the key word in this organization. Here is what English Wikipedia has to say about Jalonen (he is one hell of a coach):

Jalonen started his coaching career with SM-Liiga sides, managing Ilves from 1992 to 1995, and Lukko during the 1996–97 season. Afterwards, he took over Mestis side Vaasan Sport for the 1997-98 season. After a one-year stint with Sport, Jalonen spent three seasons abroad. First, he coached HC Alleghe in Italy and then two seasons in the United Kingdom, with the Newcastle RiverKings and Newcastle Jesters in the British Ice Hockey Superleague, respectively. For the 2001-02 season, Jalonen returned to Finland and signed with HPK. He went on to spend six seasons with HPK, and led the team to remarkable success with placing third in the SM-liiga in 2001-02, 2002–03 and 2004-05. His era in Hämeenlinna reached a climax in 2005-06, when he led HPK to win the first Kanada-malja in the franchise history. The same year, he was awarded with the Kalevi Numminen trophy for being the best coach in the league. In his last season with HPK in 2006-07, Jalonen added yet another SM-liiga bronze medal to his record.

After his years in HPK, Jalonen started coaching the Finnish national team, first in the role as a head coach under Doug Shedden in 2007-08, and as the head coach from 2008-09 onwards. In 2010, Jalonen's troops won the Olympic bronze medal in Vancouver, and in 2011 he coached the Finnish national team to the nation's all-time second World Championship title. In the final game, Finland beat arch rivals Sweden with a score 6-1. While Jalonen remained as the head coach of the national team until the end of 2012-13 season, the national team failed to win additional medals under his tenure . During the 2012-13 season Jalonen signed with KHL side SKA St. Petersburg, replacing Milos Riha during the season.[2] He went on to lead the team to conference finals in the Gagarin Cup. He stayed with SKA the following season, 2013–14, but the team's run was ended in a loss in conference semi-finals.

For the 2016 World Juniors that were organised in Finland, Jalonen was hired to coach the Finnish U20 team. He successfully coached the Finnish team to World Junior Championship on home ice, beating Russia with a score 4-3 (OT) in the final in Hartwall Arena.

In the 2016-17 season, Jalonen returned to the KHL with the Jokerit. Jokerit made the playoffs but were knocked out in the first round of the Gagarin Cup.

To answer question 2) and 3), he has been coaching English speaking players for a while now. The working language is English in KHL. Jalonen is also not restricted to any rink sizes. He only needs room to demolish.

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Grieves. Definitely sounds like an interesting man who has had success at many different levels in several different leagues/countries. Sounds like precisely the kind of man it would be worth "rolling the dice" on to see if you can strike gold.

What's his style? I assume from how high on him people here that know of him are, that he coaches a style very much in keeping with the modern/current trends in NHL hockey, and which would complement the fast, skilled team that Chevy has assembled?

He was never a pro-player himself so nobody in the locker room trusted him, and he trusted no-one in the locker room. He just killed it in any situation, with any team.

This is the quote that has me most interested. A guy that can command respect of players despite never playing pro suggest he might be the sort of guy that could really take control of a locker room and cure whatever it is that ails the Jets.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Some perceived characteristics of Jukka Jalonen.

- wide international experience
- insight and ability to see hidden potential of a player and assign responsibility to him (latest good example Eeli Tolvanen)
- ability to get a team work above average even it is composed below average players,'team first type approach'
- leadership by charisma and personal level mentoring (also via hand picked coaching staff)
- media handling skills
- drive to develop and learn coaching -> 'Love of hockey'
- sensible person who doesn't cause serious ill-feelings by his appearance or outcomings
- lot of contacts (at least in European continent) within hockey world, commands with certain authority (for example in NT: - Jalonen makes contact to you asking "are you available to next tournament?" - you likely are.

The Coach of the Coaches in Finland - 'General Jalonen'.

Jukka Jalonen is widely requested speaker to various happenings related to sports/business management etc. to make speeches about coaching, team building, organisation development etc. He has formal degree in his field of profession.

/some thoughts

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
I personally can't see us having Ducky this soon and I absolutely could be wrong. Sure he is a former player and the players might respect that he is from the old school ala Carlyle but he hasn't cut his teeth in coaching anything other than kids at this point. I think he would need some AHL experience and show success in a higher platform of pro hockey before they hand the reigns over to him.

he can coach. you don't need to coach AHL players to be a great NHL coach. I would rather have a junior hockey than a AHL coach any day. You are going to get Claude Noels out of the AHL.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Some perceived characteristics of Jukka Jalonen.

- wide international experience
- insight and ability to see hidden potential of a player and assign responsibility to him (latest good example Eeli Tolvanen)
- ability to get a team work above average even it is composed below average players,'team first type approach'
- leadership by charisma and personal level mentoring (also via hand picked coaching staff)
- media handling skills
- drive to develop and learn coaching -> 'Love of hockey'
- sensible person who doesn't cause serious ill-feelings by his appearance or outcomings
- lot of contacts (at least in European continent) within hockey world, commands with certain authority (for example in NT: - Jalonen makes contact to you asking "are you available to next tournament?" - you likely are.

The Coach of the Coaches in Finland - 'General Jalonen'.

Jukka Jalonen is widely requested speaker to various happenings related to sports/business management etc. to make speeches about coaching, team building, organisation development etc. He has formal degree in his field of profession.

/some thoughts

all what you said does not make a great head coach. most coaches have all that.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It seems like a few Finns brought this Jalonen Card out of nowhere and are now just forcing this idea with blue-white-tinted glasses on. He may be one of the best coaches in Europe, but his credentials are all from big ice and adaption to a different (on-ice) culture is the biggest question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese