All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Prediction: if their play and/or results don't improve by, say, November 1, Maurice and the entire staff are fired. The rest of the season then becomes a referendum on Chevy, and if they miss the playoffs, they clean house in the front office, too.

Extensions or not, this whole "Rise Together" campaign tells me the organization expects a corner to be turned this year. There are too many good coaching options out there (Sutter, Tippett, Ruff) to burn a season like this.

Reactions: Shaibu

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Lol, I can’t believe we’re only 2 games into this season and things have already gone to shit. Prior to the season starting, I had a feeling we would likely be having these discussions at the 15 or 20 game mark but 2 games in? Yikes.

As ugly as it all looks, I suspect the ship will right itself and we’ll be ok for a time. This team just has too much talent to be this bad. They will win some games. Not sure how long that will last but we’ll see.

My first thought when they initially launched the “rise together” stuff was “uh oh.”

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Mo likely has 15 to 20 games to get this team on track - if not, I assume they start looking for a replacement (and clean house on the lot of them).

My guess is ownership will get involved soon - management will not play a role - that's when things get done. Chevy blew it in supporting the coaching extension - at least it looks that way so far. Ownership will not allow this to continue deep into the season (unless this turns around) - based on what I'm seeing early, the coach has lost the room - too many players making the same mistakes over and over again and no accountability - Buff comes to mind along with others. When they fall behind, the complete teams loses all composure - this is coaching.

Nothing new in this post - all has been covered a hundred times - hopefully we can move on to other discussions soon.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
PP 17% 5th worst in league
PK 79,3% 5th worst in league
GA 695 goals allowed and 8th in the league
GF 681 goals and 13th in the league.

Those are Maurice's stats from his full seasons with Jets. The only thing he has going for him is the goal scoring. How the f*** is he still here?

Reactions: Shaibu and Guerzy

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Prior to the Replace Maurice with... thread being locked, I was in the midst of replying to Matthew McConaughey's comments - "The WORST scenario, and certainly possible, is Pascal Vincent being promoted like Noel was. Do not want."

I do not think that will happen. At least Noel had prior NHL head coaching experience, although only briefly with Columbus, prior to moving up from the Moose to the Jets. Vincent on the other hand has had no previous NHL head coaching experience at all.

I still think Maurice is not the problem but rather the players lack of sustained effort. However, should the Jets decide to make a change, I wonder if Scott Arniel is worthy of consideration as a replacement. I don't think he was given a fair shake in Columbus.

:jets

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
@DowntownBooster I disagree. IMO System and player deployment is the Jets biggest issue, and even if it was an effort issue, it's part of Maurice's job to get the players' effort on track.

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
1. Ralph Krueger - would need to be coaxed out of his gig in Southhampton which he has openly said he loves
2. Adam Oates - Not sure if he's at all interested in getting back into the coaching grind
3. Dale Hunter - would need to be convinced to leave the Knights again...doesn't have Mark there to hand the reigns to though. - loooongshot
4. Darryl Sutter - Not the long term answer but he would deliver the much needed kick in the ass that this team needs on defense.

Reactions: Jetabre

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ill say it here... How many coaches does buff wheeler little toby get to quit on b4 we realize that veteran group is a big part of the problem.. While i dont think they all are...1 or 2 definitely are. I think you trade one or 2 of them first.. That sends a real message. Firing the coach right now sends the message that the players arent part of the problem but its pretty obvious 1 or 2 or more are.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Ill say it here... How many coaches does buff wheeler little toby get to quit on b4 we realize that veteran group is a big part of the problem.. While i dont think they all are...1 or 2 definitely are. I think you trade one or 2 of them first.. That sends a real message. Firing the coach right now sends the message that the players arent part of the problem but its pretty obvious 1 or 2 or more are.
doesn't buff have a no trade for a year or two?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Or you can simply put him as forward and he will drop the no trade faster than Mo blends lines.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
1. Ralph Krueger - would need to be coaxed out of his gig in Southhampton which he has openly said he loves
2. Adam Oates - Not sure if he's at all interested in getting back into the coaching grind
3. Dale Hunter - would need to be convinced to leave the Knights again...doesn't have Mark there to hand the reigns to though. - loooongshot
4. Darryl Sutter - Not the long term answer but he would deliver the much needed kick in the ass that this team needs on defense.

I'd bring in Sutter, this team needs that kick in the ass. There's no way he'd do a worse job than what's going on right now at any rate.

Reactions: Guerzy

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Sutter or Tippett likely will be the 2 candidates. But I think Hawerchuk is the guy. So they might do something silly and promote one of their assistants for the remainder of the season.

Although that's a possibility, I don't think that would occur until after the November 14 game against Arizona when Hawerchuk is honored with a banner being raised for him following his induction into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Did someone say Jukka Jalonen might be interested?

For the love of god, get that man running the Jets. He is a proven coach that just oozes leadership and calmness.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Did someone say Jukka Jalonen might be interested?

For the love of god, get that man running the Jets. He is a proven coach that just oozes leadership and calmness.

Man, if only would they bring that guy over I'd feel entirely different about the future and might even see some light at the end of the tunnel. Jalonen is one heck of a coach. Then again, how many times have an NHL team brought up a coach from the Europe? Think the Pens did that once by bringing Hlinka and if I remember correctly Jagr played a big part at that. He stayed as the head coach for two seasons I think. Now lets hope Laine recommends Jalonen and see the same thing happen here (yeah right). Nevertheless no frigging doubt he'd do better job than PaMo even if he didn't speak a word in English. :D

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Although that's a possibility, I don't think that would occur until after the November 14 game against Arizona when Hawerchuk is honored with a banner being raised for him following his induction into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

You know, for pure WWE-style entertainment value, you couldn't beat having Hawerchuk standing behind the Jets bench as the teams come out for the 3rd period of that game. Then a couple of minutes later, Maurice comes running out, still trying to shed the ropes around his body, screams at Ducky and chases him off the bench, across the ice and down the visitor tunnel. That would be way cool. :thumbu:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Man, if only would they bring that guy over I'd feel entirely different about the future and might even see some light at the end of the tunnel. Jalonen is one heck of a coach. Then again, how many times have an NHL team brought up a coach from the Europe? Think the Pens did that once by bringing Hlinka and if I remember correctly Jagr played a big part at that. He stayed as the head coach for two seasons I think. Now lets hope Laine recommends Jalonen and see the same thing happen here (yeah right). Nevertheless no frigging doubt he'd do better job than PaMo even if he didn't speak a word in English. :D

Agreed. He has shut up even his most vocal critics with results you can't argue with. Just a true leader.

You probably spoke in jest, but of course he speaks English :). I agree that he would coach this teams to playoffs even with a blindfold on.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Alpo Suhonen was an assistant in Winnipeg back in the early 90s...so we have as rich a tradition of European coaches as any team in the NHL.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Agreed. He has shut up even his most vocal critics with results you can't argue with. Just a true leader.

You probably spoke in jest, but of course he speaks English :). I agree that he would coach this teams to playoffs even with a blindfold on.

Oh absolutely, I don't doubt his English skills. That man really knows how to coach. You'd only just have to look at his resume (or what Jokerit is doing this season). Has he openly expressed interest at the NHL by the way? Regardless I don't see how this would happen, while one can always dream though.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Oh absolutely, I don't doubt his English skills. That man really knows how to coach. You'd only just have to look at his resume (or what Jokerit is doing this season). Has he openly expressed interest at the NHL by the way? Regardless I don't see how this would happen, while one can always dream though.

So, what's the story behind Jokerit moving to the KHL?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So, what's the story behind Jokerit moving to the KHL?

I haven't really been a 'fan' of Jokerit until now (due to enjoying watching Tolvanen play), but apparently Hjallis (Harry Harkimo), who was and still is the main owner wanted to cash in with the hockey arena when the rich folks from the Russia looked to expand. I think that caused a lot of anger between the other teams in the FEL when Jokerit, or rather Hjallis, accepted the offer and broke lose from the FEL. There are a lot of Finns here who can tell the story more accurately. Anyway, I don't really even have a clue how Jalonen ended up there but he is as good as advertised. He also was the same coach that won the gold medal for Finland in the 2016 WJC. So he has history with Laine too.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Jukka Jalonen as The head coach of Winnipeg Jets. Gut feeling says it would work damn well. Maybe not instantly, but at least it wouldn't be endless swamp march as he is very well known for his ability to develop both players and his own and staffs' coaching approach, ability, adaptation - both organisationally and tactically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad