All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'll get it started by reposting something I posted earlier

The problem with playing Lowry on the PP as I see it.

In the game last night something became quite evident to me. When the Jets don't score on the PP and spend the entire 2 minutes out there it gets divided between 2 groups. If there are 2 PP's in rapid succession then the non PP players have to sit so you end up with a rested group and a tired group.. Having Lowry on PP1 has an untintended consequence. Once the PP ends he is not a rested player. That means his line is not available to play the shift after the PP ends. This means the coach has 2 options. Play the entact line that is rested or concoct a line out of rested players (post PP) to play that first shift.

Keep in mind that Babcock was intent on playing the Matthews line on that first shift.

So last night that meant either playing Copp with Armia and Matthias or running out the Dano Copp Tanev line. Maurice did both last night. Doing the first option leaves the lines f'd up and Lowry took at least one shift with Dano and Tanev because of it. Doing the second option gives the road team a very favourable matchup after the PP ends.

IMO Lowry is much more valuable to this team not playing on the PP. Keeping his line rested to be able to play that first shift after the PP ends. The team would be better served having Petan play on one of the PP units in place of Lowry as long as he's not part of the Lowry line. I know they're trying to get a net front presence and Petan is not that player but I think they need to "rethink" what they're doing with Lowry.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
the whole staff should be on notice. its inconceivable to me that huddy and flaherty are still here from game 1. we spend the most on defence than any other team in the league and this is our ongoing result? yikes.

Reactions: Shaibu and McCree

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Report on NHL radio is that if Maurice is fired mid-season the Jets and Sutter would be the best fit.

Now do you want to keep a new coach moving forward after hiring him mid-season? probably not. But Sutter is a NHL Stanley Cup championship coach.

And if the Jets could land a good assistant in Hawerchuk There is your future head coach!

Reactions: Guffman and Shaibu

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If Mo does go, the whole staff must as well. He's got a month to Thanksgiving[(American) basically a decision has to be made in November] to make it work and if we're not seeing the necessary results, we HAVE to move on.

Reactions: Shaibu

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
All you need to know about goalie coaching is in this article. HNIC did a great piece on Price few years ago on how the new goalie coach basically was the key piece in making Price the worlds greatest goalie.

Wade Flaherty is a terrible goalie coach. And the current goalies have no clue on what a difference maker a great goalie coach is. They all say Flaherty is great, blah, blah, blah.

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/201...g-problem-montreal-canadiens-hellebuyck-price

Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens is considered to be one of the best goalies in the world. He has also had some major down years, including 2009-2010 when Jaroslav Halak ended up as the starting goalie for the Habs and Price was relegated to being the back-up goalie. the 2009-2010 season was an important season for Price as long-time Habs goalie coach Roland Melanson had been fired the previous off-season, possibly because he was trying to change the style of goaltending Price played. Price struggled and in the subsequent season spent long periods of time on the bench being rebuilt as a goalie by Pierre Groulx, the new goalie coach. Groulx worked with Price to get him back to what he is good at: being in position and trusting his instincts.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
Maurice is 100% like Tim Burke. You keep terrible assistants around long enough, you will get fired, and it will be because of stupid decisions like keeping a bad assistant on your staff. This will be #1 cause of firing for Maurice.

Now if it's TNSE that forces the assistants then we have a serious problem. I can doubt it much that Maurice wanted Flaherty as goalie coach. You telling me he was searching for a great goalie coach and he was like ''oh geez we have the Moose in the same city why dont I just take an organizational coach instead of getting the best possible coach''

To me the Flaherty hiring has TNSE written all over it.

Reactions: McCree

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Does it get there in a Spartacus-ish manner?

You know, we might be able to sell tickets to that event. Someone tell TNSE there's money to be made on a coach gladiator event, they'll be allll over it

8c6oj.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All you need to know about goalie coaching is in this article. HNIC did a great piece on Price few years ago on how the new goalie coach basically was the key piece in making Price the worlds greatest goalie.

Wade Flaherty is a terrible goalie coach. And the current goalies have no clue on what a difference maker a great goalie coach is. They all say Flaherty is great, blah, blah, blah.

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/201...g-problem-montreal-canadiens-hellebuyck-price

Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens is considered to be one of the best goalies in the world. He has also had some major down years, including 2009-2010 when Jaroslav Halak ended up as the starting goalie for the Habs and Price was relegated to being the back-up goalie. the 2009-2010 season was an important season for Price as long-time Habs goalie coach Roland Melanson had been fired the previous off-season, possibly because he was trying to change the style of goaltending Price played. Price struggled and in the subsequent season spent long periods of time on the bench being rebuilt as a goalie by Pierre Groulx, the new goalie coach. Groulx worked with Price to get him back to what he is good at: being in position and trusting his instincts.

A great goalie coach makes a lot of difference. I don't think there are many great ones out there.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
1 game into a an extension lets talk about a replacement. the debate was had by ownership and the extension was given. my guess is you will see trades happen long before any kind of firings. hopefully somebody like trouba will get traded to shore up the forward lines since he probably not re-signing and bring in poolman .

bog roll

Nov 16, 2016
I find Maurice very frustrating. He seems to have dyslexia when it comes to creating his lines. He certainly doesn’t appear to have the ability to utilise the talent he has at his disposal.
It’s high time (it was last year) to move on from him. Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen soon. Certainly not until he gets asked some pointed questions by the press, they are too easy on him. I’m looking forward to this year’s crop of excuses.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
PoMo is here until January of 19. Chipman is not throwing away $3 millions. Jets would have to go 6-15-3 for POMo to get fired.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
PoMo is here until January of 19. Chipman is not throwing away $3 millions. Jets would have to go 6-15-3 for POMo to get fired.
Good god I hope Chipman is not that dumb. A playoff series will easily cover that $3 million loss. Sometimes you are better off taking the loss and moving on if the reward for that is lot more money coming in from 1 or 2 playoff series.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
This is pure speculation on my part, but I do have a theory. The terms of Maurice's extension was never announced. Is it actually possible they didn't renew his contract but have a gentleman's agreement of a extension at the end of this season. However they wanted to give Maurice the best chance to succeed and by falsely announcing the extension (that doesn't exist) they avoid the lame duck coaching scenario that Claude Noel dealt with.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

If Maurice can't get this team into the playoffs over the next three seasons, Chipman will miss out on even more million of dollars in revenue.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
John Torterella who is often critisized of being a dinosaur is icing the following lines:

Panarin - Wennberg - Atkinson;
Milano - Foligno - Bjorkstrand;
Dubois - Dubinsky - Calvert;
Hannikainen - Sedlak - Dalpe.

Look at that middle-6. 3 rookies. A line with two green but very skilled wingers in Milano and Bjorkstrand. Iciing 3 scoring lines and a 4th line. Looking at lines from other teams makes me feel a combination of anger and embarrassment.

Even Torterella can change and adjust over time but I guess Maurice and the Jets are still too cool for that. Sad. :shakehead

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Wouldn't Chipman have hired a consultant to review the coaching staff after the season was over which would include player interviews etc.?

After such disappointments year after year, I am sure consultant would have had some similar analysis as to the board.

are pro leagues this bush league with management reviews?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll get it started by reposting something I posted earlier

The problem with playing Lowry on the PP as I see it.

In the game last night something became quite evident to me. When the Jets don't score on the PP and spend the entire 2 minutes out there it gets divided between 2 groups. If there are 2 PP's in rapid succession then the non PP players have to sit so you end up with a rested group and a tired group.. Having Lowry on PP1 has an untintended consequence. Once the PP ends he is not a rested player. That means his line is not available to play the shift after the PP ends. This means the coach has 2 options. Play the entact line that is rested or concoct a line out of rested players (post PP) to play that first shift.

Keep in mind that Babcock was intent on playing the Matthews line on that first shift.

So last night that meant either playing Copp with Armia and Matthias or running out the Dano Copp Tanev line. Maurice did both last night. Doing the first option leaves the lines f'd up and Lowry took at least one shift with Dano and Tanev because of it. Doing the second option gives the road team a very favourable matchup after the PP ends.

IMO Lowry is much more valuable to this team not playing on the PP. Keeping his line rested to be able to play that first shift after the PP ends. The team would be better served having Petan play on one of the PP units in place of Lowry as long as he's not part of the Lowry line. I know they're trying to get a net front presence and Petan is not that player but I think they need to "rethink" what they're doing with Lowry.

When you have one of the biggest & strongest net front presences in the NHL in Byfuglien, it is mind boggling to think he's not used in this manner yet Lowry is.

To date his biggest achievement has the Stanley Cup in 2010 with Chicago where he led the team in goals scored & power play goals with this exact tactic.

Let him play defence while at regular strength & when the power play occurs stick him up front. What did having him wind up from the point accomplish last year? 1 PP goal while leading all Jets in total PP TOI & average PP TOI per game.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I fully agree with the Fonz. The power play has become too predictable so give it some different looks with different player combos.

You want a net front presence so why not use the most formidable weapon you have in Buff. Not many will move him from screening their goalie and as they attempt to they're screening their goalie themselves.

It's just time for some change. Teams know how to defend against the Jets

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
poMO really gets on my nerves. In his presser today basically saying that the team needs to learn how to play defence before we take the next step. No accountability at all. It could not be his systems? It's all on the players is what I got from him today. There has been many young teams that have played good defense. Chicago with their first recent cup. Pittsburg as well. And as recent as Columbus who was the only team younger the us last year I believe but played great defense. IMO this is all coaching, not our players. The thing is we are stuck with him. Because to say stuff like he said today means ( to me) that Chevy and ownership believe him

Don't like morrisey saying we play zone and man to man. No wonder we give up so many free pizzas in our own zone. They are always playing different systems while trying to stop the same puck.

It's just brutal that this team was as unprepared as I've ever seen them last night.

Shitting the waterbed bigtime is what i would call it

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Going on 4 years with Maurice but the team is still trying to learn how to play defence? Shouldn't it be ingrained within the org. by now how we do things?

Laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad