All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Jalonen seems too out-of-the-box for the staid Jets.

And why is Hawerchuk on everyone's radar? Nostalgia? I'd prefer a different method of selection to pick a coach for the Jets. He's never won anything in the OHL. Missed the playoffs last year with an abysmal 17-44-7 record. What's the case to make him an NHL head coach?

he coaches very well. he has a very good power play. he has coached Scheifele and recommended him to the jets scouts. He is regarded as one of the best coaches and is why he is getting talent to barrie.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He'll be hired by the Jets but I think it will be as an asssitant...I bet he could coach a PP. His experience would be valuable to the younger players as well as the vets...I think he is ready to be an assistant right now.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Or a Mike Babcock.
Babcock coached in the WHL for almost 10 years before only 2 in the AHL, (And had no great seasons in either league) but nothing wrong with AHL coaches but junior coaches can be quite creative. Babs had a Cinderella season in his first year with Anaheim, then horrible second year. Went on to Detroit when it was a dynasty level team.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Ralph Kruger is a horrible coach. Stop bringing up nonsense names like him and some finnish coach. It wont happen. Its going to be Ducky, Sutter, or Tippett a fellow manitoban
Beg to differ. Kruger is a great coach. He's probably just too smart to take on the Jets, doesn't want Chipman breathing down his neck and Huddy running the back end.
Sutter and Kruger would be my top picks. I would replace all coaching staff except Jamie Kompon. Add one internal, Mike Keane as an assistant. Pomo is a loser, he will be the most losing coach in the NHL on less than 2 months. "Even the losers... get lucky sometimes." Tom Petty

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Big question is, could Jalonen deal with NHL-sized egos? Has he ever had to deal with a Buff personality? Maybe I'm off base, but I can't see this being as big a problem in Finland or Russia.
No, you need a Stanley Cup ring or be incredibly inspirational.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Babcock coached in the WHL for almost 10 years before only 2 in the AHL, (And had no great seasons in either league) but nothing wrong with AHL coaches but junior coaches can be quite creative. Babs had a Cinderella season in his first year with Anaheim, then horrible second year. Went on to Detroit when it was a dynasty level team.

Ya. I just cant see us hiring a head coach straight out of Jr. sorry. Maybe in a odd case as an assistant coach and then transitioning eventually to a head coach as there are examples of that happening with Bowman.

Going off topic but.
I was just using him as an example to counter that not all AHL coaches turn out to be Claude Noels. I could of also thrown into the mix Bruce Boudreau, Darryl Sutter (IHL), Guy Boucher, Paul MacLean (IHL), Claude Julien (IHL/AHL), Joel Quenneville (ahl) Barry Trotz ahl etc etc.

I don't know what your ideals of success is but babcock had good seasons. May of not won titles but he put his teams into the playoffs and in position to contend for one.

WHL : 224–172–29 over six seasons for a .564 winning percentage. He was named twice as the West Division coach of the year (1995–1996 and 1999–2000).

AHL: 74–59–20–7 record, including a franchise-high 41 wins and 95 points. The team qualified for the playoffs both years

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Pomo is a loser, he will be the most losing
coach in the NHL on less than 2 months.
I thought that wasn't meant literally... but the only thing saving him from that feat is getting fired before he loses more 7 games.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/NHL_stats.html

The total losses doesn't say that much if you look at top 2 right now, but he is also the 2nd worst by points percentage from those who have coached more than 1000 games.

Last edited:

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
Dale Hawerchuk, Scott Arniel, Bob Essensa (goalie coach) and Paul MacLean would make a fine new staff. Pretty sure they wouldn't play Lowry the most of any forward like Maurice.

Good bet the Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers line would re-appear immediately as well.

Can you imagine some WHA coach splitting up Hull - Nilsson - Hedberg?

Better still, how about aggressive penalty killing taking away time and space like the best units in the NHL these days. So many blocked shot injuries the last 3 years!

What a hoax Maurice is... 10 years behind in his tactics.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
From Friedman’s 31 thoughts:

Goalie coach Benoit Allaire is moving him back on the goal line. “I’ve tried it before,” Pavelec said. “But I didn’t stay with it because I didn’t trust it. Now, you see Henrik (Lundqvist) doing it every day and you see how it works.” With that technical change comes an adjustment to Pavelec’s thinking. “Before, you come out and challenge the shooter. If he passes to your side and someone else scores, you think, ‘Well, it’s not my fault, someone else was supposed to (stop the pass).’ (Allaire) doesn’t want you to think like that. He wants you to think, ‘Why can’t I be in position to make that save, too?’”

If Pavelec does play better, it would be an interestng comparatve against what Flaherty has done.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Goalie coach Benoit Allaire is moving him back on the goal line. “I’ve tried it before,” Pavelec said. “But I didn’t stay with it because I didn’t trust it. Now, you see Henrik (Lundqvist) doing it every day and you see how it works.” With that technical change comes an adjustment to Pavelec’s thinking. “Before, you come out and challenge the shooter. If he passes to your side and someone else scores, you think, ‘Well, it’s not my fault, someone else was supposed to (stop the pass).’ (Allaire) doesn’t want you to think like that. He wants you to think, ‘Why can’t I be in position to make that save, too?’”

If Pavelec does play better, it would be an interestng comparatve against what Flaherty has done.

It will certainly be interesting if he turn his game around.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Interesting he tried it but didn’t trust it until he watched Henrik doing it every day and it works? No offense Pavs but I have watched it work on tv for the King for the past six seasons, in fact it’s impossible to miss stylistically.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

And this folks, this is why he has a 0.907 career save percentage. That's an approach to playing goal that was already beginning to die in the 1990s.

Puts even more doubt in my mind about what Flaherty was teaching him.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

This is the kind of goal that Allaire is trying to prevent. Pavelec challenging the puck carrier (Silfverberg, in this case) in a spot that he realistically cannot score from. Use your post technique and load up to get a good push across to the primary threat (Kesler). We saw goals like scored on him constantly.

He's buying in to Allaire's teaching concept in less than two months. Flaherty had five seasons.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Other than just a general lack of ability, Pavelec's biggest problem has always been thinking.. "It's not my fault".

And if he does become a better goalie in NY, then it's just one more reason to dump our goalie coach.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I have to throw this out here... Kings fans are positively dripping with condemnation of Sutter with their new-found success this year.

I guess the beauty of a coach is in the eye of the beholder.

Among the observations I've read is the stylistic component of the team bringing the game away from board-play as a fundamental for them. That cycle seems to have been the Jets' style over the years. I'm not condemning it. I like it, both to watch and when I've played. I honestly don't know if it's the best approach to winning hockey with our line-up.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
All you need to know about goalie coaching is in this article. HNIC did a great piece on Price few years ago on how the new goalie coach basically was the key piece in making Price the worlds greatest goalie.

Wade Flaherty is a terrible goalie coach. And the current goalies have no clue on what a difference maker a great goalie coach is. They all say Flaherty is great, blah, blah, blah.

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/201...g-problem-montreal-canadiens-hellebuyck-price

Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens is considered to be one of the best goalies in the world. He has also had some major down years, including 2009-2010 when Jaroslav Halak ended up as the starting goalie for the Habs and Price was relegated to being the back-up goalie. the 2009-2010 season was an important season for Price as long-time Habs goalie coach Roland Melanson had been fired the previous off-season, possibly because he was trying to change the style of goaltending Price played. Price struggled and in the subsequent season spent long periods of time on the bench being rebuilt as a goalie by Pierre Groulx, the new goalie coach. Groulx worked with Price to get him back to what he is good at: being in position and trusting his instincts.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I think it's very interesting that players are investing in their own futures by employing independent contractors as their personal coaches: Scheifele & Hellebuyck right here in the 'peg. Why is this necessary?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I secretly want to see Pavelec succeed in New York.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Im more and more intressted in Todd Nelson, I think he could do a good job, but suspect Wings wont let hom go, just as Blashill wasnt allowed.
If they cant find a decent goaliecoach in Canada, hire Mikael Lehner then, ha had laid the foundation for 2 NHL goalies from sweden, must be better then Wade, who has ruined a couple instead.... If Pavs does succed that means 2 goalies made more progress without him than with him, with Helle taking outside help this summer..

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think it's very interesting that players are investing in their own futures by employing independent contractors as their personal coaches: Scheifele & Hellebuyck right here in the 'peg. Why is this necessary?

Think of it like having a child who isn't doing well in school. The teachers are paid to teach the entire class, and have limited time for assisting individuals. If your child needs more, you hire a tutor to work on areas of deficiency. Of course, with a class size of two, that doesn't say much for Flaherty as a teacher. :laugh:

Reactions: Hobby Bull

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
5aLBKns.png

6 more regular losses to go. 7 regular + overtime losses to go.

Reactions: Past Considerations
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->