All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Remember when the Penguins fired their coach who at the time had a winning record and was replaced by Mike Sullivan and all he has done is win 2 Stanley Cups in 1.5 years.
Coaching does make a difference and Maurice's record speaking for itself.

Reactions: Shaibu

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Changing coaches usually has an effect. Changing to Maurice had an effect as well.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Remember when the Penguins fired their coach who at the time had a winning record and was replaced by Mike Sullivan and all he has done is win 2 Stanley Cups in 1.5 years.
Coaching does make a difference and Maurice's record speaking for itself.
They were trying to win tho. Big diffrence to what chevy was forcing mo to do.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Can you cite one?

The youth movement featuring 30 year old never played an NHL game Raffl signed to a one way deal along with extensions for Thorburn, Peluso, Stafford, Pardy. There are certainly some agendas and selective facts going around, but not from our side.

Scheifele/Trouba/Morrissey/Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic/Petan/Lemieux, Armia were already on the team or in the system. So unless Chevy and Maurice's plan was to re-sign everyone and still finish 24th and then win the draft lottery, he's got some holes in his story

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What's with all the hostility? Agenda? Do you mean opinion? What are we making up? I feel like maybe I'm missing some thread content or a page or two because this response is so far out of left field for what I've written and what BlueShake wrote.

Let me give you an example. You cite that management decided to go with youth after they got swept. The thing is though that Chevy didnt' begin going on record with this until recently, a year or so ago. I find this to be a bit self serving because they didn't really go with a youth movement at all. They did everything they could to sign Ladd but couldn't agree on a deal so they had to trade him. It wasn't like they told Ladd sorry our future is elsewhere, they tried to re-sign him to a long term deal.

And that's it. They didnt dump their vets in the off season for a youth movement. They in fact re-signed an aging Drew Stafford and Adam Pardy. What about that reads like a youth movement? Honest question there doesn't have to be any animosity.

What hostility? If you take my post as hostile......you don't know hostile.

You talk about people's belief of a seven year rebuild.....literally no one here believes that.....let's not make stuff up to fit your agenda.

Going young doesn't mean every single player is young, if they don't have a player ready for a role a vet needs to be played or hired.....not going to play a AHL prospect and hurt his development just so you can say you have a young player. You guys like to talk in absolutes, the real world doesn't work that way.

Signing Frolik and Ladd would of given us depth we need now.....that doesn't mean we aren't going young though....it means we don't have good enough young guys to play. In the end it's a good thing we didn't sign Ladd, he wanted too much money and hasn't been great. Love to see us add one or two vets to our bottom six of younger guys who just aren't good enough.

If you want to complain about not buying out Pavs, not going young sooner (2011-13), signing PMO originally without any real coach search, few bad contracts, loving our prospects too much, PMO extension, asst coaches, etc......I wouldn't disagree with a single post. But calling for PMO to be fired during the period he was told to develop young players (which likely will lead to less chance of winning) or immediately after one bad game is completely silly. Again I'm not big fan of PMO, sooner seen him given this year to prove himself now with a reasonable lineup, albeit not great lineup.

Either way, not sure what people complaining/whining about coach being fired now when there is absolutely zero % chance of it happening. If they suck still after 20 games or so, you will see me and others calling for PMO to be fired as well. Pointless thread at this point as others have said, not wasting talking about something that isn't going to happen any time soon. Last post here until this subject becomes relevant.

Can you cite one?

Hmmm, go listen to literally any interview from Chevy since the summer of 2015 right after the playoff lose. Literally that's was spoken about constantly from that point forward.....going younger, much younger. Most recent was his interview about three weeks ago. I see you just joined HFB this summer, are you a Finnish bandwagon fan joining recently? Sounds like you know very little history of the team and discussions here over the years.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
This is just garbage.

Unbelievable that Maurice got extended this past offseason. This team has NO defensive collateral, and has stagnated since bouncing out of playoffs in 4 straight.

When you look at this roster- the names and talent on it- this team is SEVERELY underachieving, and has been for over two years!

All we need is a coach who has a shred of defensive cohesiveness and this team would take off. But instead we have an ownership of loyalists.. and I cannot believe the few apologists on this thread, what more do you need to see to see coaching change is long long overdue. Frickin Mike Milbury could do a better job with the talent we have.
THN had us pegged for Stanley Cup aspirations and look where Maurice has got us. Wasting the best years of Wheeler et all.

It's disgraceful Maurice was extended, and disgraceful that the talent on this team gets these pisspoor results.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cite one. Link. Otherwise your argument has been proven wrong by actual news and signings.

I already told you where to go to find the most recent comments on it.......don't be so lazy and go listen to it. Yikes, trying to ignore it doesn't help your argument.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If I was going to hire a coach to replace Maurice, it would be someone who has coached talented players over his career: Lindy Ruff. In a division where Bruce Boudreau replaced Mike Yeo, Mike Yeo replaced Ken Hitchcock, and Ken Hitchcock replaced Ruff, it would bring us full circle. I think he is an offensive minded coach, with playoff experience, who could get the team on the right track. Only a matter of time before Maurice loses the room.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
As a Bruin fan that watches that mess it’s time for Maurice to go.

You need a defensive hard nosed coach.

On paper the team should be better but the system and execution isn’t there and wasn’t last year either before people start saying “it’s 2 games.” Someone better fix the hole or you’ll be on the golf course before Christmas.

Even if the offense comes around and carries you for a while something has to change and development of these kids is huge at this point. Edmonton messed up bad not holding Hall and Eberle accountable.

Although it did luck them into McDavid so maybe that’s what Cheveldayov has on the go haha.

Best of luck with the impending circus til the enivitable coaching change comes.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and ps241

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
We need something to change ASAP...

Every time we take a penalty ... we might as well just give them a goal and start off at centre ice. I have absolutely no faith in our PK.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
So talented team. Such a good spread of talent in forwards combined with competent defencemen. You have also tried several goalies with similar results.

I hope there is an option in Maurice´s contract such as he is out if the team does not make it to playoffs.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
So talented team. Such a good spread of talent in forwards combined with competent defencemen. You have also tried several goalies with similar results.

I hope there is an option in Maurice´s contract such as he is out if the team does not make it to playoffs.
Can we borrow Babcock for 2 months, he would do wounder, in return you can get Huddy ;)

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Does anyone have this guy's number?

DC42FmDV0AAD73p.jpg

...because this is f***ING EMBARRASSING!

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Brandon Tanev scored a shorthanded goal last night, that will likely buy himself an extra month of regular shifts with the Jets. Unless, of course, one of two possible changes are made.

In addition: Kyle Connor scored twice last night; Picking up where he left off.

Reactions: Gm0ney

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Brandon Tanev scored a shorthanded goal last night, that will likely buy himself an extra month of regular shifts with the Jets. Unless, of course, one of two possible changes are made.

In addition: Kyle Connor scored twice last night; Picking up where he left off.

Yea that was the first thing I thought when he potted the shorty. Now my hands were covering my eyes from the horror but I could have sworn Tanev was on for the next two PK goals against in a terrible position both times. Also noticed he was a -1 so he must have been on for at least 3 goals against. Far from our only problem this goes much deeper than Tanev but he remains crappy defensively too.

Nov 24, 2006

I hope that Maurice is long gone before we are out of the playoffs. All the assistants too.

Reactions: Afterburner

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I wonder if he'll be bagging the crap out of them at practice today too to "punish" them for last night, since he's such a stellar coach, which has no positive influence at all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not going to touch the PK as the system looks unchanged.

I am wondering if Moe fundamentally altered the defensive zone scheme this season which is why there is ramped confusion and terrible execution. Either way something needs to change quickly or we are looking at another lost season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad