All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What if they go 0 for their road trip?

Chicago
Philly
Pittsburgh

Then home for

Dallas
Washington
Pittsburgh

Enough losses and even Babcock gets fired.

At some point McLellan will be on the hot seat but I expect he can survive one losing streak - unless that 1 streak just keeps going and going. :laugh:

I wonder how realistic Oilers management is about their expectations for this year? The pundits had them winning the Western Conf. Management may have been more aware of their weaknesses. But if Chiarelli sees it as a choice between firing and being fired McLellan is gone.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Enough losses and even Babcock gets fired.

At some point McLellan will be on the hot seat but I expect he can survive one losing streak - unless that 1 streak just keeps going and going. :laugh:

I wonder how realistic Oilers management is about their expectations for this year? The pundits had them winning the Western Conf. Management may have been more aware of their weaknesses. But if Chiarelli sees it as a choice between firing and being fired McLellan is gone.

Some coaches are "naturals" and they seldom lose - guys like Scotty Bowman, and Babcock are 2 that come to mind. I'll bet Babcock is in Toronto for like 10 years, and will likely win a couple Cups with them. Note what Toronto did "right away" when Babcock took over-"they got rid of all the bad attitudes" and started over. Full marks to Toronto- as they have suffered long enough with bad coaches and teams.

We really need a guy like Babcock, that will implement a playing style that best uses the "natural talent" on this Jet's team. Paul Maurice doesn't do that, he only wants the players to play his style of hockey, and doesn't change his strategy in accordance with the type of player's talents that he will coach. Maurice is not flexible, and shows little imagination, and creativity -IMO.

Good thing about Babcock, is you can get a guy like him for a paltry $ 10 million per year - yikes that rules the Jet's out right there !!! I wonder if coaches salaries go against the team Cap Hit ?? don't think so ??

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets do make a coaching change during the season I predict the following.

1) Pascal Vincent promoted to interim head coach

2) Dubois takes over the Moose

Decision on HC next season made in the offseason interviewing available talent without being rushed

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Some coaches are "naturals" and they seldom lose - guys like Scotty Bowman, and Babcock are 2 that come to mind. I'll bet Babcock is in Toronto for like 10 years, and will likely win a couple Cups with them. Note what Toronto did "right away" when Babcock took over-"they got rid of all the bad attitudes" and started over. Full marks to Toronto- as they have suffered long enough with bad coaches and teams.

We really need a guy like Babcock, that will implement a playing style that best uses the "natural talent" on this Jet's team. Paul Maurice doesn't do that, he only wants the players to play his style of hockey, and doesn't change his strategy in accordance with the type of player's talents that he will coach. Maurice is not flexible, and shows little imagination, and creativity -IMO.
Babcock is a good coach but he's pretty overrated imo. He had one of the best two defencemen ever in Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and deep teams and only one Cup in a decade. He's getting paid for winning Gold metals with overwhelmingly favored Canadian team.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
6 games in and we are firing coaches?
Does anyone read the TO boards about who Babs is playing with Matthews?
How he plays the vets too much?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If the Jets do make a coaching change during the season I predict the following.

Decision on HC next season made in the offseason interviewing available talent without being rushed
Sounds just dumb enough that it might be an option.

I have a hard time believing they will cut Maurice lose before his next contract starts. I just think that would be too much pride for Chipman to swallow.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That might depend on which other coaches are fired this year. AV might be available. A lot of people seem to think he would be good. I have no idea myself.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Babcock is a good coach but he's pretty overrated imo. He had one of the best two defencemen ever in Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and deep teams and only one Cup in a decade. He's getting paid for winning Gold metals with overwhelmingly favored Canadian team.

You do make a good point, however he's doing pretty good with Toronto, and he always had Detroit right up there in the standings. I don't think he's overrated. I'd love the Jets to get a guy like him, or Quinville from Chicago -seems like he can win with anyone, long as he has his core guys-Toews, Kane, Crawford etc.

I don't think we can afford guys like that - we'll have to get "lucky" with an up and comer from Junior, or the AHL.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sounds just dumb enough that it might be an option.

I have a hard time believing they will cut Maurice lose before his next contract starts. I just think that would be too much pride for Chipman to swallow.

I expect he'll finish the season. If it goes sideways from here all bets are off.

I do think that his continued employment as HC depends on a playoff appearance. If not he'll be terminated

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kind of sad but I'm willing to bet that Maurice gets to break the loss record before he gets shuffled out of the door (if we ever even get to see that day). Getting a bit boring to see the Jets being ran over twice a week with no excuses left in the bag. Maybe he's expecting the vets to save him or something considering how much his pets them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
6 games in and we are firing coaches?
Does anyone read the TO boards about who Babs is playing with Matthews?
How he plays the vets too much?

287 games in. A lot of people have been on board the 'Fire Maurice' train since this time last year.

Expectations for this year were high. The team has not been bad. It has been terrible. I good game by 1 line and a little solid goaltending not withstanding.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
287 games in. A lot of people have been on board the 'Fire Maurice' train since this time last year.

Expectations for this year were high. The team has not been bad. It has been terrible. I good game by 1 line and a little solid goaltending not withstanding.
Mort well said.
I agree with TS Quint...just can't see Chipman getting Chevy to fire Maurice until end of season.......
We need a hockey ops guy to be the "reality check" person between Chevy & Chipman.
And if Pascal Vincent were brought back...then "Rise Together" speaks of resurrection of the " hockey dead "

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Is it time to fire up the pole again to see if even 10% still favor retaining PMo? I talk to numerous former supporters that have had it with his antics & see support on here dwindling by the week

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Good thing about Babcock, is you can get a guy like him for a paltry $ 10 million per year - yikes that rules the Jet's out right there !!! I wonder if coaches salaries go against the team Cap Hit ?? don't think so ??

Coaches and GMs are paid by the owner directly and have nothing to do with any Cap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is it time to fire up the pole again to see if even 10% still favor retaining PMo? I talk to numerous former supporters that have had it with his antics & see support on here dwindling by the week

I'm waiting till after our 5 day break. I expect another turd against Minny. Why would it change now? With a 5 day break PMo should have at least 4 practice days to get them coordinated. If we don't see immediate improvement after that I'm getting out my pitchfork.

I'm not talking about winning or losing at this point. I want to see a well played game, win or lose.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The question should be... What is the job of an NHL coach?

JMO, but his job should be to look at the players he has and their abilities and make that team be the best they can be, again, based on what he is given... and not try to turn them into players they are not. And if you want to change the player and the way he plays, then change the player by trading him and replacing him with the type you want. And it is the GMs job to get those players for the coach.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm waiting till after our 5 day break. I expect another turd against Minny. Why would it change now? With a 5 day break PMo should have at least 4 practice days to get them coordinated. If we don't see immediate improvement after that I'm getting out my pitchfork.

I'm not talking about winning or losing at this point. I want to see a well played game, win or lose.
Why wouldn't it? The players are professionals and I don't think they were pleased with their performance. I expect an "angry" game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia