All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
He holds the record for most losses by an NHL coach in the history of the league (yes that's actually true - look it up, he's the one). A .500 record over decades worth of games coached with all different kinds of teams.

Not yet.... but he will shortly.

Paul Maurice has 572 losses as a coach. Scotty Bowman has 573. Al Arbour has 577.

0.510 regular season. 0.439 playoffs.

The Jets get until U.S. Thanksgiving to improve or then it's...

mob.jpg

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Not sure if anyone posted this. Just an opinion piece from when PMo was coach of the Canes. Reads almost like it was written in 2017, not 2011.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...oaching-change-paul-maurice-must-be-fired-now

Starting with the '02-03 season—Maurice has coached seven full years with the Hurricanes and Maple Leafs since then—he has yet to field a power play or penalty kill that's ever ranked higher than 15th in the league.
Over those seven seasons, Maurice's power-play units have averaged ranking 20th in the NHL; his penalty kill units have averaged ranking 23rd.
The Maurice-coached Hurricanes of '03-04 were dead last in power play, but a number of other rosters have come close to matching that since then. Meanwhile, the Maurice-coached Leafs of '07-08 found themselves second-to-last in penalty kill—but that, too, was barely a career worst for their beloved boss.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Bums me out i really like Maurice.... wish he would buckle down and maybe bring on hawerchuk to be an assistant coach (total unhinged pipedream)

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I wonder if anyone is going to congratulate him on being the most losing coach ever when he finally wins it...
Can we have a banner made for him? I'll happily contribute.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm tired of the "mediocrity is fine" attitude.

Yeah firing the coaching staff isn't "friendly" but something has to be done eventually.

With the roster that we have, making the playoffs should happen.

I think a lot of us are just worried because we haven't seen anything to make us believe that this year will bring new approaches to our game.

We were told to raise our expectations right out of the gate, that preseason was for practice because we know who our players were, that we wanted to hit the regular season running. The players, the management, the coaches, all said that development was over, now we are going to win.

We are 3.3 but if we are honest, our game is still terrible. You can't be satisfied with eaking out wins. I want to see improvement, passion, will to win etc. Fix obvious problems as they arise instead of waiting. Be proactive.

I just don't want to see another season dwindle away, when there is no good reason for it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Wow, a little foreshadowing there.

That's bad. That's really really bad. I had no idea. Jesus I thought they were tanking with this idiocy. Turns out it's just idiocy. That's really bad. Really bad.

@Aavco Cup please read what you are posting. The graph above states that Maurice is especially passive when they are chasing the lead. THE AREA WHERE YOU SHOULD BE MOST ACTIVE.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That's bad. That's really really bad. I had no idea. Jesus I thought they were tanking with this idiocy. Turns out it's just idiocy. That's really bad. Really bad.

@Aavco Cup please read what you are posting. The graph above states that Maurice is especially passive when they are chasing the lead. THE AREA WHERE YOU SHOULD BE MOST ACTIVE.

I did read it. That's why I posted it here. The article doesn't claim line juggling is a good thing or a bad thing. It only measures NHL coaches against each other in relative terms.

BTW there is a large segment of this forum that seems to think Maurice is a blender master.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
"And same with our positioning in the defensive zone, we're trying to make sure we're protecting certain areas of the ice and we're making sure we're not giving up good . . . scoring opportunities from key areas."
Claude Noel - 2013
The Jets gave up 245 goals last season, ranking them 26th in the league. Only the New York Islanders, Columbus, Toronto and Tampa Bay surrendered more.

(The latest NHL numbers show Winnipeg with 2.57 goals for and 2.88 goals against. Last season's numbers were 2.70 and 2.95.)

"It's not really changed a whole lot from last year," Noel says. "As much as we're doing some things better, we're still not on the right side of that equation." - Claude Noel

Noel fired:
(Maurice inherits a team that has struggled in its third season in Winnipeg thanks in part to inadequate goaltending and defensive breakdowns.)

But in order for this team to move forward, Maurice admits it has to begin with improving the back end.

"No Stanley Cup champion ranks in the top 10 for everything, but the one area that's consistent is they're good defensively, and we're talking from a goals against strictly point-of-view," he said. "We have to be a better defensive team." Paul Maurice 2014

“He walked in and he made a tremendous impact from the moment he walked in and we believe that we’re just scratching the surface on the impact he can make on this franchise moving forward.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff -2016

“So we’re not sitting and waiting three weeks,” Maurice said. “Gotta get it going. I told them today, we’ll deal with this every day, all year. Because this franchise doesn’t move forward until it can defend.
“You can put all the talent in the world on the ice, and you’re not winning a damn thing until you’ve got a real good comfort level to defend.” Paul Maurice - 2017

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Agreed. Nothing wrong with them, but not the fit we need for the room

I really like Maurice and think he's a decent coach but I am starting to come around to the idea that he needs to go. The team needs a change. Some coaches who are good just don't fit. For example, Carlyle won a cup with Anaheim, then was hated in Toronto the way Maurice is hated on this forum, then when he returned to Anaheim he returned to his winning ways, taking the Ducks to the Conference finals.

He's got to be a decent coach at least with his record, but just wasn't getting any traction in Toronto (granted, Toronto's roster was a lot worse then than it is now, but it was still time for him to go).

Reactions: Afterburner

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
another good article by Scott Campbell in todays freep. explains why Jets should be using zone coverage.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I'll preface by saying I liked the hiring of Paul Maurice however it's become apparent that he no longer has what it takes to coach this team. Everything the Jets were poor in we're still poor in despite apparently being the focal part of training camp. It's also astonishing to me that special teams are still as poor as they are. A lot of this has to do with systems, and roster management IMO. Maurice is an old school coach who refuses to adapt to the new NHL. He's trying to run a man to man d-zone coverage when no other team does this (because it doesn't work in todays fast passed NHL). Guys get lost and blow coverage all the time which leaves our goalies high and dry. Helley has been great so far this year but he too will be victimized soon enough if things don't change. As for the Roster decisions. I honestly can't think of 1 team in the NHL that's running a similar roster build to WPG that has the ability to run a better option. By that I mean we're running the top 2 bottom 2 when everyone else is running 3 scoring lines which is another old school mentality.

I really wish Maurice wasn't extended going into this season and had to earn it, but here we are and unfortunately I'm begining to doubt that we will "Rise Together" at all this year.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
the one thing this current situation does is make it seem like that extension was a really bone-headed move. I just don't know what the reasoning was...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
another good article by Scott Campbell in todays freep. explains why Jets should be using zone coverage.

So in the article he once again claims the Jets are using man to man defense and suggests the Jets should play only zone. The first partbis not true (they use a hybrid matchup zone) and nobody plays strict zone in the NHL these days. Is he still living in the past?

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
So in the article he once again claims the Jets are using man to man defense and suggests the Jets should play only zone. The first partbis not true (they use a hybrid matchup zone) and nobody plays strict zone in the NHL these days. Is he still living in the past?
the article was more nuanced that my lazy summary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino