Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
@OV trade talk from another thread

I wonder what his value is. Will teams pay for a 50+ goal guy and former MVP or will they pay for a player with a deteriorating skill set and whose character has been assassinated by the media.

The other element is the NTC, he'd probably waive for a power Canadian market(Montreal, Toronto, etc.) or play with a team with a Russian buddy(Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.), but do those teams have the necessary assets?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

I wonder what his value is. Will teams pay for a 50+ goal guy and former MVP or will they pay for a player with a deteriorating skill set and whose character has been assassinated by the media.

The other element is the NTC, he'd probably waive for a power Canadian market(Montreal, Toronto, etc.) or play with a team with a Russian buddy(Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.), but do those teams have the necessary assets?

St. Louis, LA and SJ are the teams I'd like to see him win a cup with. St. Louis and SJ are probably more realistic than LA.

edit: maybe Nashville has a chance if it's clear he's not going to play out his contract.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

The problem is the fact that he would want to go to a contender, but do those contenders have the necessary pieces they are willing to move? Also, how do you judge his trade value? He is more value to Washington than he would be to other teams because of how big of star he has become here. Detroit has a lot of young pieces but I'm not sure if they would give up what Washington wants (Nyqvist, Mantha, etc.).

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
The problem is the fact that he would want to go to a contender, but do those contenders have the necessary pieces they are willing to move? Also, how do you judge his trade value? He is more value to Washington than he would be to other teams because of how big of star he has become here. Detroit has a lot of young pieces but I'm not sure if they would give up what Washington wants (Nyqvist, Mantha, etc.).

Does that still hold true though? There have been empty seats in recent years, something you never seen in the past and now the hockey talk doesn't revolve around OV as it once did.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Does that still hold true though? There have been empty seats in recent years, something you never seen in the past and now the hockey talk doesn't revolve around OV as it once did.

Maybe so, but his value is still higher to Washington. Look at all the Ovechkin jerseys he sells. Look at all the exposure he has gotten. Hell, he's basically the reason Washington was promised a WC because of his big years and his marketability. People still come to Caps games for the prime reason of seeing Alex Ovechkin. Trading him at this point would probably set Ted back some in terms of ticket and jersey sales

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The Caps need to either

1. Trade for a legit NHL goalie
2. Blow it all up and start over

I'm not giving up on Holtby, he's still young but is not an NHL starting goalie yet.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Maybe so, but his value is still higher to Washington. Look at all the Ovechkin jerseys he sells. Look at all the exposure he has gotten. Hell, he's basically the reason Washington was promised a WC because of his big years and his marketability. People still come to Caps games for the prime reason of seeing Alex Ovechkin. Trading him at this point would probably set Ted back some in terms of ticket and jersey sales

Everyone already has an Ovechkin jersey. Think of all the new money to be had selling Hertl or Shattenkirk jerseys.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
On an unrelated note, you have to love the pace Wilson is on right now:

72 games, 10 goals, 15 assists, 252 penalty minutes.

If he puts up anything close to that in his second NHL season I'll be very impressed.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Maybe with Mike Smith not playing well in Arizona, a package deal for him and Vermette could be made.

Why would you downgrade in net for a guy with 3 times the cap hit?

Not to mention if you lose that ~4m of cap space by swapping Holtby to Smith, you will find it nearly impossible to keep Vermette past this year.

Might aswell just wait and sign Niemi in the off-season and roll with him and Holtby as 1A/1B. Very unlikely that there'll be better starting goalie available without Caps moving one of their top assets.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

B-b-but Ted hasn't made a profit off the Caps! :sarcasm:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
We could've used someone like Ryan Miller.

Couldn't they have squeezed in one of Orpik or Niskanen + Ryan Miller?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We could've used someone like Ryan Miller.

Couldn't they have squeezed in one of Orpik or Niskanen + Ryan Miller?

you do realize that going into last night's game miller and holtby's numbers for almost exactly the same right? why pay so much more against the salary cap for essentially the same performance?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
you do realize that going into last night's game miller and holtby's numbers for almost exactly the same right? why pay so much more against the salary cap for essentially the same performance?

I saw the stats last night, and it was intriguing. Without knowing specific details, I can't tell you why that is. But lets be honest here, Miller is proven and better than Holtby. I don't hate Holtby, have nothing against him. I just think someone like Miller would've directly helped us win a few more games.

Sorry....Was Ryan Miller really better than Holtby last night?

Well, he made the saves necessary to win the game. Maybe he wasn't much better than Holtby last night, but wouldn't you agree that overall Miller is better?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Does anyone else think Bura should be sent down to receive more ice time and develop as a center playing large amounts of minutes a night? He is of no use playing 4th line minutes when you are scratching a guy like Latta who is a much better center and good in the faceoff dot. Send Bura down until Kuz ***** the bed and then recall him if need be.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Does anyone else think Bura should be sent down to receive more ice time and develop as a center playing large amounts of minutes a night? He is of no use playing 4th line minutes when you are scratching a guy like Latta who is a much better center and good in the faceoff dot. Send Bura down until Kuz ***** the bed and then recall him if need be.

No. They should trade Laich/Brouwer and futures for Vermette and roll a second line of Burakovsky-Vermette-Kuznetsov. Then everyone gets to develop at the NHL level at their natural position with one of the better defensive centers in the league as a safety net.

But apparently, that's ****ing rocket science to Washington.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That requires a developmental mindset. Maybe LOB goes to Hershey for a bit but the Caps never do this with skilled forwards that skip Hershey initially. If they have the skill to make the jump initially they tend to ride that out no matter what.

They should probably just ice a Burakovsky - Laich - Ward third line at least.

8 - 19 - 43
90 - 92 - 16
65 - 21 - 42
25/83 - 46/83 - 20

But that won't happen so...Slack for Jack, Troy. Slack for Jack.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We should keep Orlov. He's Tarasenko's best friend so in 4 years we will get a chance to sign package deals with them both like Isles with Kulemin and Grabovski.

27 years old Tarasenko = Cup!

We can tank a little until then obviously.

Easily.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We got Orlov, Schmidt, Carrick and Bowey. All of them aren't fully ready for their roles yet. But I see them as big enough pool of Dmen to serve as 3rd pair players. Some of them have potential to subst Orpik as top-4 one day.

All are cheap and mobile.

I mean Green's salary should be allocated differently.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Not opposed, but still pretty meh on it.

Eberle is not the droid we are looking for.

I'll admit, I don't watch much of Edmonton, but what's wrong with Eberle? He's basically a 30-70 player. The position isn't ideal, but he would establish the second line as a scoring threat.

I was also a big fan of Purcell in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad