Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, he made the saves necessary to win the game. Maybe he wasn't much better than Holtby last night, but wouldn't you agree that overall Miller is better?

better in what way? I am wary of Miller after what happened in St Louis last season. every Miller in the NHL eventually plays for the Caps. So, at some point its going to happen.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sorry, but I just can't explain this to you anymore.

Yes because defining whether a team is a legit contender going into the playoffs or not based on the Bleacher Reports' preseason rankings as opposed to how the team actually played over the course of the season is not something you can explain.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'll admit, I don't watch much of Edmonton, but what's wrong with Eberle? He's basically a 30-70 player. The position isn't ideal, but he would establish the second line as a scoring threat.

I was also a big fan of Purcell in Tampa.

I was going to say that I'm more interested in Purcell.

I just never liked Eberle. He's a mite and he's a wimp. Just get Kuznetsov to develop into a decent RW and spend that $6 million on a real center.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So an Oilers fan proposed:

Green + Brouwer for Eberle + Purcell

Would anyone here be opposed to that? (I'm guessing the answer is no)

Can either of them play LW? If no, then we are just adding more bodies to the never ending logjam at RW and like Brooklyn noted, we are still without a true #2C. I wouldn't be opposed to the trade because it adds more skill to the top 6 and maybe one of Eberle or Purcell could be flipped for a 2C upgrade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the main board is jumping up and down about something on tsn claiming the caps are listening to offers for alzner. saying they want a #1 goalie. I could not find this mention on tsn.ca and the way it was written doesn't sound right. of course anything in the Canadian media has hard to believe anyway.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Hi guys, Panthers fan coming in peace. Are the Caps willing to part with Ward or Brouwer? If so, what is the asking price? Is it just draft picks or do the Capitals want prospects/veterans in a deal?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
the main board is jumping up and down about something on tsn claiming the caps are listening to offers for alzner. saying they want a #1 goalie. I could not find this mention on tsn.ca and the way it was written doesn't sound right. of course anything in the Canadian media has hard to believe anyway.

God dammit. :facepalm:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Purcell hasn't been the same player in Edmonton that he was in Tampa. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Caps, but I wouldn't give up a ton for him either.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'd be more into Perron than Eberle.

Seriously, Green and Brouwer for Perron and Petry.

Hi guys, Panthers fan coming in peace. Are the Caps willing to part with Ward or Brouwer? If so, what is the asking price? Is it just draft picks or do the Capitals want prospects/veterans in a deal?

We're definitely willing to part with Brouwer. Asking price would probably be a replacement veteran scoring RW.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
We're definitely willing to part with Brouwer. Asking price would probably be a replacement veteran scoring RW.

Brad Boyes is about the only guy I see that fits the bill, and I think the Panthers want to try and get a young defenseman for him (if they trade him at all). I was hoping it could be something along the lines of ~3rd for Ward and ~2nd for Brouwer. Any chance you'd take Fleischmann back? :sarcasm:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Brad Boyes is about the only guy I see that fits the bill, and I think the Panthers want to try and get a young defenseman for him (if they trade him at all). I was hoping it could be something along the lines of ~3rd for Ward and ~2nd for Brouwer. Any chance you'd take Fleischmann back? :sarcasm:

Ward would command significantly more than a 3rd on the trade market. He's coming off of two very good seasons and is off to a solid start again this year. It's not out of the question he could fetch a late 1st.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Ward would command significantly more than a 3rd on the trade market. He's coming off of two very good seasons and is off to a solid start again this year. It's not out of the question he could fetch a late 1st.
I don't see anyone giving a first for Wardo, he's UFA at the end of the year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't see anyone giving a first for Wardo, he's UFA at the end of the year.

Paul Gaustad got a 1st
Legwand got Jarnkrok
Clowe got two 2nds and a 3rd

I wouldn't bet on a 1st as the most likely return, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

HOLDITHERE*

God dammit. :facepalm:

What, all this board does is ***** about the guy being useless, and now it's an issue that's he's being shopped?

On a lighter note, your avatar gets you a free pass. It's got me burnin up.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
You have to give to get. I'd listen to offers for Alzner and Carlson, especially if we could get value in return for Green, Mojo, Brouwer, and/or Laich in the same deal.

Alzner is an excellent player—but how good is the player coming back? If someone pays a premium for Alzner or Carlson it might be a wise move.

I'd also listen to offers for Backstrom but it would take an amazing package for me to deal him.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
What, all this board does is ***** about the guy being useless, and now it's an issue that's he's being shopped?

On a lighter note, your avatar gets you a free pass. It's got me burnin up.

This board literally *****es about everything. Alzner hasn't been outstanding but that doesn't mean we should ship him out for a goalie. I'd actually like to see him paired with Carlson again, while we are giving up a low amount of shots the D pairs still just don't do it for me.

And :yo:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Every player on this team should theoretically be available in trade. Theoretically. The question is, are we dealing with a front office who can get appropriate VALUE for the trade, or just GMGM 2.0 looking to dump the next Forsberg for the next sub-par band-aid Erat?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Every player on this team should theoretically be available in trade. Theoretically. The question is, are we dealing with a front office who can get appropriate VALUE for the trade, or just GMGM 2.0 looking to dump the next Forsberg for the next sub-par band-aid Erat?

Has BMac made a trade yet? I don't think he has made a significant move. I like the Orpik and Niskanen signings and I'm not going to rush to judgment on him one way or the other. My initial impressions are that he is not an aggressive GM. Is he too passive? He might be. He strikes me that way but it's too early to be sure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think its hard to judge a gm's level of aggression based on the first quarter of his first season in the NHL. he's not sitting by while most of the league is wheeling and dealing. most of what we have seen are fringe pieces being moved around and even that has been few.

how many top 9 forwards/top 4 defensemen have been traded this season so far? Most pf the time over recent years a gm that goes public with wanting to make a deal cant get one done. it might be that making one significant move of a roster player under contract before the trade deadline movement is aggressive gming.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Has BMac made a trade yet? I don't think he has made a significant move. I like the Orpik and Niskanen signings and I'm not going to rush to judgment on him one way or the other. My initial impressions are that he is not an aggressive GM. Is he too passive? He might be. He strikes me that way but it's too early to be sure.

At least he netted something for Halak, even if it was to a division rival.

Those FA signings were extremely aggressive. D is our only area of strength to trade from, and I get the impression he WANTS the depth and won't trade any of the D - so it's more about how highly he values D. Unless the organization has soured on Alzner or is finally ready to trade Green, I don't see any moves happening at D.

Those FA signings handicapped us in relation to the cap, so we'd need to shed salary in any trade, and that will make us less appealing trade partners to other teams.

We might be able to net a center from a D trade, but probably not a goalie unless we add value (good picks or prospects). Suddenly, being aggressive doesn't sound too appealing.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
At least he netted something for Halak, even if it was to a division rival.

Those FA signings were extremely aggressive. D is our only area of strength to trade from, and I get the impression he WANTS the depth and won't trade any of the D - so it's more about how highly he values D. Unless the organization has soured on Alzner or is finally ready to trade Green, I don't see any moves happening at D.

Those FA signings handicapped us in relation to the cap, so we'd need to shed salary in any trade, and that will make us less appealing trade partners to other teams.

We might be able to net a center from a D trade, but probably not a goalie unless we add value (good picks or prospects). Suddenly, being aggressive doesn't sound too appealing.

Agreed. They were bold moves. We'll see if he takes that approach with trades as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the difference is that in the ufa market you can move on your own. Bmac has said that he wanted to take a run at Kesler, but was not allowed in the game. Trading is reliant on a partner. I think its really hard to judge someone as a trader based on trades that don't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia