Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still think this team is ripe for a roster trade, or trading someone that no one expected that is floating by game to game.

Yes *** I know trades don't happen. But they actually do sometimes.

And it can be easier than re-inventing systems that happen with coaching changes.

We have been ripe for a trade since before Flash. George screwed Bruce on that one. Flash was his guy. We all know this. Bruce and thus the team was a hot mess from day 1 of that trade. Pulled the rug out from his own coach. Like a son he was to Bruce.

Sure Flash was not a fan favorite, but what happened to the team from day 1 of that trade is not up for debate. The team tanked, and Bruce went into a shell that he regrets to this day. We still have not recovered.

And with it went our best chance at an Ovi led cup run, during his prime. Now we will have to win based on the system, only, the system is not curing what ails this team. It's players.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I still think this team is ripe for a roster trade, or trading someone that no one expected that is floating by game to game.

Yes *** I know trades don't happen. But they actually do sometimes.

And it can be easier than re-inventing systems that happen with coaching changes.

We have been ripe for a trade since before Flash. George screwed Bruce on that one. Flash was his guy. We all know this. Bruce and thus the team was a hot mess from day 1 of that trade. Pulled the rug out from his own coach. Like a son he was to Bruce.

Sure Flash was not a fan favorite, but what happened to the team from day 1 of that trade is not up for debate. The team tanked, and Bruce went into a shell that he regrets to this day. We still have not recovered.

And with it went our best chance at an Ovi led cup run, during his prime. Now we will have to win based on the system, only, the system is not curing what ails this team. It's players.

:biglaugh:

I was happy to see Flash go but you're exactly right. Flash was Bruce's GLUE. He wasn't good enough glue to win a Stanley Cup but we rolled the league for the President's Cup. We need a GM with a vision. McPhee didn't have that. We'll see what BMac is all about.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Guys, really, trade Alzner talk is crazy.

The next under 30 defensive capable LD we have is... Schilling? Is he NHL player at all?

You can't easily acquire such a player and to trade him will be a very big mistake. It will be hard to subst him I'm sure.

So his start of the season isn't the best? OK, make him better. It's a task for the coaches.

Trade defenseman? We have a surplus of offensive dmen, most of whom are right handed (rare/expensive).

10 from 10 you trade one of the PMD, not Alzner.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Flash for Hannan was the first move to a more "traditional" grinding hockey team. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't appreciate how dominant and scary the caps were back in those days.

Halpysback*

Alzner makes sense to trade in a context of a retool for good value/rarer player, since you'd still have to fill that hole afterwards. However it may not be the hardest hole to fill given that Alzner brings little offense and physicality. Someone like Martinez would more than make up for Alzner gone, shame he was just resigned.

Alzner for O'Reilly, then fill the Alzner hole. Say (trade for) Willie Mitchell short term and (trade for) Brandon Gormley long term.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Flash for Hannan was the first move to a more "traditional" grinding hockey team. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't appreciate how dominant and scary the caps were back in those days.

Bruce used to say that Flash was his Ovi in Hershey. I applauded the move, but man on man was that one ugly tailspin we went into.

It continues to this day.

We were a force to be reckoned with. Fans lined up league wide to catch the show. We rolled over and croaked, pretty much at the moment that trade was announced, despite the rejoice of the fans.

I hated Flash mostly because of Bruce's favoritism towards him. Flash would get tried on every line almost every game. Sure he was soft was butter but was a part of our offense and monster year, like it or not. I hated versus Montreal, Flash got unprecedented PP1 time, and was getting eaten alive on the boards. The PP failed miserably. He did get benched for game 7 :laugh:

Ovi aside, we were not pounding teams mercilessly, taking the body and space. We were full on cherry picking offensive aerial assault, and Flash fit right in there as a guy with a decent offensive game.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
So realistically. What does a 26 year old Karl Alzner signed for 2 more years at $2.8 million get us?

I'm inclined to say a lot, but I have no idea. Would someone like Andrew Ladd be possible?

Burakovsky95*

I really do not want to become the Predators 2.0, but that looks like what's going to happen.

Depressing.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
LeBrun: "Well, I don't think the level of anger is the same as what Bob just talked about in Arizona, but I will tell you this: Brian MacLellan in Washington, I think, is ready to move a number of parts. Now, we're not talking Alex Ovechkin or Nicklas Backstrom. Those guys are safe. But certainly a lot of secondary parts, I believe, are in play in Washington because the sense is, 'We've made all these coaching changes year after year, where we get the same results. It's time to change the culture.' Mike Green, obviously, UFA at the end of the year, he would be a prime candidate to move. But a number of other players because I think they just want to get some moving parts and change the feel of that dressing room."

Burakovsky95*

Burakovsky95*

That is so Washington. No vision whatsoever. UGH.

I always forget how difficult his contract situation is going to be. I think he's a definite improvement on what we have (Brouwer, Ward, Chimera, Beagle, etc.) but is he really worth $6.5 a year...?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I always forget how difficult his contract situation is going to be. I think he's a definite improvement on what we have (Brouwer, Ward, Chimera, Beagle, etc.) but is he really worth $6.5 a year...?

The simple answer is no. He's not half as good as he thinks he is. We'd be fools to part with anything good for him.

lol at saying he's an improvement on Chimera/Beagle

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
what do you think: Eriksson for Brouwer? from the main board. this season they have almost the same stats and i remember Loui was considered as a defensive winger. Both are right wingers. Though Loui seems more passer than Brouwer and more injury bond.

Ovie - Backies - Eriksson?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I liked Eriksson a lot in Dallas but I'm not sure that he's the same player he once was since he's had so many concussions. Brouwer's cheaper and another roster move would need to be made to get him under the cap

Edit: Nvm we have more cap space than I thought.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
If Alzners bringing back a player as good as Oreilly Im game. I doubt he has that type of value though seems better to just keep him, and not spend the next 4 years looking for an Alzner type player

This team is a dumpster though and I don't see the vision from management/owner to fix it

I'd almost rather no moves because I have little confidence they won't completely **** up any move they do make up

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I'd be fine with moving Green, Brouwer, Erskine, Beagle, Chimera, Ward and Hillen, but only Green and Brouwer would garner any kind of return. Nobody's taking Laich's contract on.

Some may not like Alzner and/or Carlson (which I don't agree with at all) but both are 3 or 4 years away from their primes and locked in to great contracts - those are exactly the pieces you keep. There is a reason why every team is looking for players like that.

No big moves, I don't expect a goalie move, either.

It certainly is a big ask for guys like Burakovsky and Kuznetsov to provide strong secondary scoring - they're too young to lean heavily on. Maybe that was part of the evaluation strategy, and Mac's come to his conclusions now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
ROR isn't even a center anymore. Moving Alzner for anything other than a center would be...ill-advised.
Still way more of a center than their "centers." He's one of the few on-ice Leader of Men types that may be available (when at his best at least). He's still right up there in takeaways, even if he's not killing it offensively. They need way more of that ability to separate people from pucks up front. Mike Richards perhaps being the other one, though Stoll seems the more likely one to eventually go in LA.

It's hard to fundamentally change the mix in-season while hoping to compete rather than rebuild. In addition to 2C instability they're also putting a lot on Wilson's plate. Often he looks decent but when there's already an unstable second line that's a tough combo. What's more there doesn't seem to be a great deal of daily progress made, in part because their (8/19/20/90) overall typical level of play 5-on-5 is so flimsy.

Green probably should be cashed in sooner than later if they've reached the conclusion he's not a keeper. Brouwer for a headier two-way type that makes those around him more effective offensively makes sense if that fit exists. Adding in, say, Helm in a Green trade and a more capable offensive RW driver should help add stability and versatility. Then again, there's already more versatility up front than how Trotz has used them and a certain amount of tunnel vision needs to go. They need to be more flexible in finding ways to get more out these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad