GDT: 2024 Trade Deadline Day

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm happy with the deadline as a whole but I am still quite annoyed that we never got in as third party brokers on any deadline deals. Feels like a missed opportunity.

But thats just me nitpicking. Overall a good day. Two picks for guys we had no interest in keeping long term. Freed up future space.

Best of luck to Peeker

And for Rosie...I hope he has good individual stats and a quick exit

Reactions: Jovavic

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm happy with the deadline as a whole but I am still quite annoyed that we never got in as third party brokers on any deadline deals. Feels like a missed opportunity.

But thats just me nitpicking. Overall a good day. Two picks for guys we had no interest in keeping long term. Freed up future space.

Best of luck to Peeker

I wonder if they have to wait for a response from up top everytime and other GMs are more "now or we will call the next guy". Its not a major loss regardless, got more out of this deadline than expected

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
IMG_7303.jpeg

I was kinda right… lol. posted this last night.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Meanwhile my niece here is talking about how she's a Devils fan because she thinks Jack Hughes and Hischier (and another blueliner they drafted in 2020) are hot. This is interfering with my attempts to plot nuking Vegas.

the irony is that she prefers women
Keep your eyes on the target. The Devils are not your enemy.

Best of luck to Peeker

I haven't seen any deals today that required or used a 3rd party that i can recall. I'm surprised by that. I thought it would be a pretty common to get something done.

Reactions: Viqsi

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Can someone explain to me how Vegas is able to afford all the stuff they've gotten this deadline? There's no possible way Mark Stone's LTIR savings alone is able to allow Hertl, Hanifin and Mantha on the team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Can someone explain to me how Vegas is able to afford all the stuff they've gotten this deadline? There's no possible way Mark Stone's LTIR savings alone is able to allow Hertl, Hanifin and Mantha on the team.
Hertl is LTIR also with knee surgery. With retention Hanifin and Mantha cost like 4mil combined

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hertl is LTIR also with knee surgery
He supposedly will be ready before the end of the season but Vegas is still stashing 5 million for Robin Lehner so between he and Stone, that is 14.5 million on LTIR.

Cap friendly also shows Hertl on regular IT and not LTIR. They have not updated for the trade yet but I suppose its possible Vegas flips him to LTIR depending on his return date.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So. Given that Hertl's now a Knight, and given Vegas's usual approach to "player loyalty"... who else wants to go after Chandler Stephenson in free agency?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He supposedly will be ready before the end of the season but Vegas is still stashing 5 million for Robin Lehner so between he and Stone, that is 14.5 million on LTIR.

Cap friendly also shows Hertl on regular IT and not LTIR. They have not updated for the trade yet but I suppose its possible Vegas flips him to LTIR depending on his return date.
Probably just because San Jose didnt need the space.
All the reports say "serveral weeks" so I dont know when hes actually expected back. On TSN they were saying they could do some paper moves and activate him in season though

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Yeah, good deadline. I like the Peeke trade and the Roslovic trade is as expected.

A little disappointed that there wasn't a Provorov trade, but there really wasn't a market for him. In the last few days, I've started to have this pipe dream about Columbus trading Provorov with retention before the draft and then trading those draft picks in order to get Mario Ferraro from San Jose.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland

Okay wow. Interesting move by NJ. Kahkonen can be good at times but his body of work is not that great. I suppose they ran out of other deadline options and this is their hail mary for a run this season. Sort of makes sense as they apparently weren't high on Vanecek anymore. For SJ not sure it makes sense but I guess they didn't have many offers.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So. Given that Hertl's now a Knight, and given Vegas's usual approach to "player loyalty"... who else wants to go after Chandler Stephenson in free agency?
I've thought about that too, but what's his cap hit going to be? 6 million or something at the least? Might be difficult to squeeze him in with all the RFA deals coming this summer. I've wondered if they should go after Sean Monahan in the off-season.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Sharks have five pending UFA forwards and instead chose to move Tomas Hertl for Edstrom, what's likely to be a late 2025 1st, and two 3rds.

Okay wow. Interesting move by NJ. Kahkonen can be good at times but his body of work is not that great. I suppose they ran out of other deadline options and this is their hail mary for a run this season. Sort of makes sense as they apparently weren't high on Vanecek anymore. For SJ not sure it makes sense but I guess they didn't have many offers.

They offloaded Toffoli. I don't think they think they're making it this year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Vegas probably walks away from a couple guys. Id be fearful Stephenson is a player someone regrets signing for too much

The Sharks have five pending UFA forwards and instead chose to move Tomas Hertl for Edstrom, what's likely to be a late 2025 1st, and two 3rds.

They offloaded Toffoli. I don't think they think they're making it this year.
San Jose traded away the 3rds haha. They got Edstrom and a 1st

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Vegas is in the 2nd Wild Card position. They've been bad since their hot start. Started 11-0-1 and were 21-6-5 just before Christmas.

Since December 17th, they're 28th in the league in points %, even worse than the CBJ. They're 4-8-1 since the All Star Break with just two wins in their last 10 games.

There probably isn't a team that's going to catch them but my goodness.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00