GDT: 2024 Trade Deadline Day

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
random thought, but if the jackets find a deal for elvis, i'd love for them to turn around and go after spencer knight.

florida could use some cap space, and knight has the pedigree to potentially be the guy moving forward. i don't think a playoff team would have much of an appetite for knight, but he'd make a lot of sense for columbus if they can move elvis first.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
random thought, but if the jackets find a deal for elvis, i'd love for them to turn around and go after spencer knight.

florida could use some cap space, and knight has the pedigree to potentially be the guy moving forward. i don't think a playoff team would have much of an appetite for knight, but he'd make a lot of sense for columbus if they can move elvis first.
So you go on about some nonsense of not paying Elvis and tying up money in a goalie until you know you have the guy and then want to take on Knight and his contract who has had his fair share of issues and been meh in the NHL?

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Tyler Toffoli, the Devils leading goal scorer, got 2 mid round draft picks if anyone is expecting significant deals today.
evgeny kuznetsov, an expensive player with some of the worst on-ice results of any player in the league over the past 2-3 seasons, netted a third round pick.

people talk about a trade 'setting the market' but that's not really a thing imo.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So you go on about some nonsense of not paying Elvis and tying up money in a goalie until you know you have the guy and then want to take on Knight and his contract who has had his fair share of issues and been meh in the NHL?
To be fair, Knight has a year less term on his deal and is seven years younger. But yeah, that also caught my attention.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Are we going to "paper" any waivers-exempt players to Cleveland to get them eligible for the playoffs there?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
To be fair, Knight has a year less term on his deal and is seven years younger. But yeah, that also caught my attention.
Im just going off his own set parameters from his other post. Seemed to be very concerned about paying goalies that arent 100% the guy. Goalies are also voodoo anyway, Knight could still be a star someday or could flounder

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

either way you have an inconsistent goalie in net. but the difference is:
  1. knight is 22, elvis is 29
  2. elvis's 'bounce back' this year still has similar results (.904 sv%, 3.21 GAA) to knight's 'struggle' year (.901 sv%, 3.18 GAA)
  3. knight has less term (2 years left vs 3 years left) and doesn't have NTC protection like elvis does
  4. knight will be eligible for a U26 buyout for the entirety of his current deal
knight isn't a worse goalie than elvis, is potentially significantly better, is cheaper and younger, and easier to hit the eject button from if things go south.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Are we going to "paper" any waivers-exempt players to Cleveland to get them eligible for the playoffs there?
Do we even have anyone else eligible to paper other than Voronkov and Chinakhov? (Both of which I assume are hard no's)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
  2. elvis's 'bounce back' this year still has similar results (.904 sv%, 3.21 GAA) to knight's 'struggle' year (.901 sv%, 3.18 GAA)
  3. knight has less term (2 years left vs 3 years left) and doesn't have NTC protection like elvis does
  4. knight will be eligible for a U26 buyout for the entirety of his current deal
knight isn't a worse goalie than elvis, is potentially significantly better, is cheaper and younger, and easier to hit the eject button from if things go south.
It's not that Knight is a bad target; it's more that your original argument against Elvis has some holes.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And Knights good year is a .908sv% on a 58 win team. He could very easily be worse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
evgeny kuznetsov, an expensive player with some of the worst on-ice results of any player in the league over the past 2-3 seasons, netted a third round pick.

people talk about a trade 'setting the market' but that's not really a thing imo.
Kuznetsov, Guentzel + Svechnikov, Nečas, Teräväinen, Jarvis, Aho.
And all these players will play the Brind'Amour system - "skate and shoot". :nod:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Random response.....He's an interesting case. If the Panthers are done with him, then they might even retain a fair portion of his salary. He's well spoken but the fact that he went off the rails so young is problematic. That being said, for a minute, he had supplanted Bob as the Panthers #1 goalie.

Would seem to be minimal risk situation for the CBJ if they'd obtain him. The upside could far outweigh the downshide.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Watching NJ take the big L on the whole Toffoli situation is pretty funny.
I don't consider this a "big L' but hey, you do you. he was a 1 season rental when he was acquired and he frees up space from the to actually acquire needs this offseason.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't consider this a "big L' but hey, you do you. he was a 1 season rental when he was acquired and he frees up space from the to actually acquire needs this offseason.
At the end of the day the trade is Sharagovich+3rd for a future 2nd+3rd. Looks like a top 6 wing is a need, unless Holtz actually does something. Either way its still a loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad