GDT: 2024 Trade Deadline Day

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Okay wow. Interesting move by NJ. Kahkonen can be good at times but his body of work is not that great. I suppose they ran out of other deadline options and this is their hail mary for a run this season. Sort of makes sense as they apparently weren't high on Vanecek anymore. For SJ not sure it makes sense but I guess they didn't have many offers.

Vanecek dump and Kahkonen is UFA if he doesn’t show anything in NJ.

Is John Davidson aware he's the GM right now?

He’s also aware that whoever they hire as GM might have a different vision.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Is John Davidson aware he's the GM right now?

Perfectly acceptable if he doesn't want to make a franchise altering move. Let the new GM make that move. A move like that is better for the off-season anyway. JD did what he needed to do. He got rid of pieces that most likely work part of a GM's long-term plans and shockingly got decent pieces back

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm happy we didn't make any big deals today. Let the guys we have grow together. Let the new guy/gal take a strong look at the goalie situation and defense again.

Perfectly acceptable if he doesn't want to make a franchise altering move. Let the new GM make that move. A move like that is better for the off-season anyway. JD did what he needed to do. He got rid of pieces that most likely work part of a GM's long-term plans and shockingly got decent pieces back
Totally digging the AI-generated avatar! When can we have a women's team?

Reactions: MissADD

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Hypothetically, let's say a team offered the Tanner Jeannot package for Jenner. They passed because, oops, we fired the GM too recently. That's wild.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hypothetically, let's say a team offered the Tanner Jeannot package for Jenner.
So now we're pissed at JD because of ludicrous fantasies invented in our heads. This is a new low. You might as well be going on about how Jarmo never did anything good for us because he failed to trade Sonny Milano for a franchise player.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
So now we're pissed at JD because of ludicrous fantasies invented in our heads. This is a new low. You might as well be going on about how Jarmo never did anything good for us because he failed to trade Sonny Milano for a franchise player.
You joke, but Stormy does believe that. Because it means they can feel superior while thinking a negative thing about the team.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm glad JD didn't do anything stupid today. Hopefully we hire a decent GM and let him make the adult decisions.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Hypothetically, let's say a team offered the Tanner Jeannot package for Jenner. They passed because, oops, we fired the GM too recently. That's wild.
I think it would be more realistic to say that Edmonton probably offered us McDavid for Gaudreau, but we turned it down because we didn't know if McDavid fit our vision for what the new GM wants to do. JD made sure to pass along that it was nothing personal against McDavid, and he thinks he is a great hockey player.

• Haha
Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That or maybe they passed because the Jeannot package isn't worth as much to us as Jenner is.

Folks talk about the Jeannot package with reverence for some reason. An entire Tampa draft has the expected value of like one mediocre player.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That or maybe they passed because the Jeannot package isn't worth as much to us as Jenner is.

Folks talk about the Jeannot package with reverence for some reason. An entire Tampa draft has the expected value of like one mediocre player.
Part of the mystique is that Jeannot's performance crashed pretty shortly thereafter and a lot of folks had predicted that at the time.

Reactions: cslebn

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm happy we didn't make any big deals today. Let the guys we have grow together. Let the new guy/gal take a strong look at the goalie situation and defense again.

Totally digging the AI-generated avatar! When can we have a women's team?
Lol. IDK when/if we will get a women's team but I needed a new pfp since Jarmo got canned so for whatever reason I decided to combine the CBJ and Avatar The Last Airbender

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Ok, in theory, a team offered us their next four 1st for Patrik Laine.

"Sorry, no can do, we need a new GM to decide this."

Not saying they should have accepted the offer(s) that were out there, but "we can't consider them because we need a new GM" is just strange. JD fired the previous GM. He's the acting GM now. And if we need a GM to decide these bigger moves, why is JD even employed?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not saying they should have accepted the offer(s) that were out there, but "we can't consider them because we need a new GM" is just strange. JD fired the previous GM. He's the acting GM now. And if we need a GM to decide these bigger moves, why is JD even employed?

I really don't think JD would hesitate to pull the trigger on that. You're just making very uncharitable assumptions. Pretty much constantly.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

omfg you're actually doubling down :facepalm:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This LTIR bs has to stop. Unfortunately the way I understand it it has to be changed in the next CBA which isn't till 2026 I think.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wow, this is a constructive discussion. Make up imaginary, one sided trades and then complain that JD would never accept those trades,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad