WC: 2023 Germany Roster Talk

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Not selecting Bokk and Kammerer was one big blunder. And hard to justify really. Leavin the two best German DEL goal scorers of the roster is an "interesting decision" to say the least.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The best Swiss scorer in the Swiss league also didn't make the team. Scoring internationally is different than scoring in the DEL or the NLA.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not selecting Bokk and Kammerer was one big blunder. And hard to justify really. Leavin the two best German DEL goal scorers of the roster is an "interesting decision" to say the least.

It would have been less of an issue if we had the likes of Ehliz, Plachta and/or Pföderl, since they always find ways to score at this level, but without them there are next to no proven scorers on the team. Individually, you can make a case for every player why they could be useful for the team, but all of them together just leaves you with barely any real scoring threats.
Tiffels had a bad year scoring wise and has not magically recovered his scoring touch. Fischbuch is normally a good goal scorer both in the DEL and the national team, so his nomination does not bother me, but counting on guys like Wiederer, Kastner, Tuomie, Ehl, Schütz, Stachowiak for scoring is a bad idea, especially when the North America guys you have, are not exactly offensive juggernauts either.
Peterka is not yet able to take over games at this level, Nico Sturm is an energy guy and really good player, but he will not create a ton of offense, and the other top forwards (Kahun, Noebels and supposedly Tiffels) are all more playmakers than goal scorers.

Tldr: The players that were selected are not bad, but the composition of the team as whole is just weird and does not work well.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
I think above all it is disrespectful towards these guys not to select them. If you are Germany`s top goals corer, you simply deserve a roster spot. And if the team fails to produce results the head of the coach needs to roll when he makes that kind of roster decisions.

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
The best Swiss scorer in the Swiss league also didn't make the team. Scoring internationally is different than scoring in the DEL or the NLA.
Michaelis is injured and did not play since February! Would have been a lock at Nr.1 Center...

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
I understand draisaitl at all .. he is tired .. but i absolutly dont understand stuetzle no go
Official Statement was that the Sens prohibited because of his Injury last Year. They made it last Year complicated as well cause if i remember well the DEB gave a statement that the Injury is not so serious. It took then 4 Days till the Statement was updated that he is out for the Tournament. Rumours where that the Sens were forcing that...

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
Not suprised at all to be honest. Draisatil has developed one huge diva attitude over the last couple of years.
National teams should be strict here. If players don`t join, they absolutey should not be on the Olympics roster in 2026 either. That cherry pciking by the NHL divas is not acceptable.
How do you judge about that? When possible he was joining every time so far. This Year not also because of Time Reasons. The DEB said that he needs to have clearing talks and medical test to give permission. That would have not been possible till today. After that 24h travelling to Finland with Insurance Costs about 100k (what I`m hearing) with the Risk that the Team is on arriving already out of the Quaterfinal (Game tomorrow would not have been realistic). So for me completly understandable that he is not coming.

I think if Germany would have won 1 or 2 Games before he would have joined.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It would have been less of an issue if we had the likes of Ehliz, Plachta and/or Pföderl, since they always find ways to score at this level, but without them there are next to no proven scorers on the team. Individually, you can make a case for every player why they could be useful for the team, but all of them together just leaves you with barely any real scoring threats.
Tiffels had a bad year scoring wise and has not magically recovered his scoring touch. Fischbuch is normally a good goal scorer both in the DEL and the national team, so his nomination does not bother me, but counting on guys like Wiederer, Kastner, Tuomie, Ehl, Schütz, Stachowiak for scoring is a bad idea, especially when the North America guys you have, are not exactly offensive juggernauts either.
Peterka is not yet able to take over games at this level, Nico Sturm is an energy guy and really good player, but he will not create a ton of offense, and the other top forwards (Kahun, Noebels and supposedly Tiffels) are all more playmakers than goal scorers.

Tldr: The players that were selected are not bad, but the composition of the team as whole is just weird and does not work well.
Peterka is still the best player on the team. If there were any snipers on Germany he would have someone to set up.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
It's disappointing because you follow these exceptionnel german players (like Draisaitl, Stützle...) since they are 14, 15 years old, always with the hope that one day they will help the german national team.

I was literally waking up at 3am to check the box score when Leon played for Kelowna or Prince Albert.

And then once they are good enough, they are not (always) playing for Germany, some of them with ridiculous excuses.

As a fan from a smaller hockey nation like Germany, this just hurts a little bit.

I guess if we qualify for the Olympics, they won't have any "injuries" or flight problems...

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
It's disappointing because you follow these exceptionnel german players (like Draisaitl, Stützle...) since they are 14, 15 years old, always with the hope that one day they will help the german national team.

I was literally waking up at 3am to check the box score when Leon played for Kelowna or Prince Albert.

And then once they are good enough, they are not (always) playing for Germany, some of them with ridiculous excuses.

As a fan from a smaller hockey nation like Germany, this just hurts a little bit.

I guess if we qualify for the Olympics, they won't have any "injuries" or flight problems...
very Well said

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site

Same here. I do somehow have understanding for players that played NHL playoffs, but some excuses are ridiculus.
Sütztle and Reichel should definitly be there and that is very disappointing. If Stütztle insited he would be there. Reichel makes even less sense a tournament like that would be beneficial for his development.
Ovechkin always showed up even after disappointing playoff exits, so did Sturm and Ehrhoff.

Reactions: Lauro and jaro

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Reichel was really injured afaik.

But with Draisaitl, this just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I am a big big fan of him. But you can't go to every german tv talk show and say how you want to help grow hockey in Germany, be a role model for the kids and then not show up to the national team.

krishiigonzalez

Jun 22, 2019
Berlin
Reichel would be there if not injured. I also can understand Draisaitl because it was already 2 playoff series and he was heavily attacked by Vegas players and for sure played with some kind of an injury. The big disappointment for me is Stützle because even if the Sens don't want him at the tournament he could have insisted to come. He also had some time to recover before heading to the tournament. That said it is even more creditable what Seider did.

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
I can`t repeat it often enough, I wish, more German players would also join other European leagues (SUI, FIN, CZE, SWE, SVK) for their own developments. It would also enable more younger players to get a spot in the top German teams in the DEL.

krishiigonzalez

Jun 22, 2019
Berlin
Important win. Very dominant 2nd period, cannot remember something like this against a top10 team. Almost everything thrown away but first time some luck this tourney with the shot of JMüller (and obviously bad goaltending). Man I was yelling at Peterka when he tried to get the shot away in the PP instead of just letting the puck go around. Almost as bad as Seidenbergs decision making with 1 minute left in the Olympic final.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I understand draisaitl at all .. he is tired .. but i absolutly dont understand stuetzle no go
It's mainly Ottawa. They fight tooth and nail to prevent any players from joining the national teams. Patrick Brown and Tyler Kleven were both very late adds for the USA for instance. Given that the USA brought a lot of college and AHL players, I'm sure it wasn't a case where they wanted to go but the USA didn't want to take them, it was likely Ottawa being difficult.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not suprised at all to be honest. Draisatil has developed one huge diva attitude over the last couple of years.
National teams should be strict here. If players don`t join, they absolutey should not be on the Olympics roster in 2026 either. That cherry pciking by the NHL divas is not acceptable.
Not even a last couple of years thing. He didn't play in the 2015 World Juniors and try and save Germany from relegation as a 19 year old because he didn't want to. Like you see a lot in soccer, he's one of those players that decides once he's reached a certain level, he doesn't want to bother with a low level national team anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Erling Haaland decides in the next couple years to just "retire" from Norway for instance rather than having to say he's got this and that injury for qualifiers and such.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Same here. I do somehow have understanding for players that played NHL playoffs, but some excuses are ridiculus.
Sütztle and Reichel should definitly be there and that is very disappointing. If Stütztle insited he would be there. Reichel makes even less sense a tournament like that would be beneficial for his development.
Ovechkin always showed up even after disappointing playoff exits, so did Sturm and Ehrhoff.
Reichel is injured. He got hurt during the AHL playoffs.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
Not even a last couple of years thing. He didn't play in the 2015 World Juniors and try and save Germany from relegation as a 19 year old because he didn't want to. Like you see a lot in soccer, he's one of those players that decides once he's reached a certain level, he doesn't want to bother with a low level national team anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Erling Haaland decides in the next couple years to just "retire" from Norway for instance rather than having to say he's got this and that injury for qualifiers and such.
Dude, what? Edmonton didn't loan him out to the WJC and let him sit in the press box for one month just to send him to Kelowna after the tournament was finished. And i don't know how some comments here are assuming some diva attitude on some players. Draisaitl missed 4 WC until now, and only the one in 21 was questionable, since Kahun came from the same team. Stützles case is pretty clearly influenced by Ottawa, as is Reichel by Chicago. The problem is, that NHL teams don't give a f*ck about this tournament.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dude, what? Edmonton didn't loan him out to the WJC and let him sit in the press box for one month just to send him to Kelowna after the tournament was finished.
Why do you think that was? He didn't want to go. If he wanted to go, he would have gone. Why do you think he went LITERALLY when the WJC ended? You think they woke up and changed their mind the literal morning after Germany played its last game and got relegated? If they had just decided a week earlier, he would have played for Germany? No offense, but that would be quite naïve of an assumption. He likely told the Oilers he didn't want to go because he knew Germany was going to have a rough roster that year and he'd already done it a couple times, so he didn't feel it was worth it... so they decided not to loan a healthy scratch over, and then when it was over, they felt free to send him back to the WHL.

as is Reichel by Chicago. The problem is, that NHL teams don't give a f*ck about this tournament.
No, again, Reichel is injured or else he would be there.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
Anyway, pretty important win and a good effort once again. It was kind of a weird game game with all the lucky/unlucky bounces on both sides, and two leaky goalies. The first line is playing really well and Sturm is doing what is expected from him with good faceoff numbers and physical play. On defense i would say that Wissmann is our best player in the first games, Seider is of course still be best puck mover but he seems a little bit off with his positioning in some cases. Niederberger is good, but seems a little bit lost in Traffic. But i completly agree that we are missing a player like Bokk or Kammerer on this team. No disrespect to players like Ehl (who had a really god game today), Varejcka etc., but those spots could have been filled by other players.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
Why do you think that was? He didn't want to go. If he wanted to go, he would have gone. Why do you think he went LITERALLY when the WJC ended? You think they woke up and changed their mind the literal morning after Germany played its last game and got relegated? If they had just decided a week earlier, he would have played for Germany? No offense, but that would be quite naïve of an assumption. He likely told the Oilers he didn't want to go because he knew Germany was going to have a rough roster that year and he'd already done it a couple times, so he didn't feel it was worth it... so they decided not to loan a healthy scratch over, and then when it was over, they felt free to send him back to the WHL.

No, again, Reichel is injured or else he would be there.
To assume that Draisaitl told Edmonton to not send him to the WJC is also a very big stretch as well, which is exactly my point. He was already benched way before the tournament and was only sent down after Prince Albert traded him to Kelowna, which the Oilers also may have forced with the benching. I'm not saying that he he would never decline to play for Germany without reason but we sure shouldn't blame the players if they never publicly said otherwise.

Reichel played every playoff game for Rockford, if you say that Leon is a diva for not going after his playoff series in which he got hacked full swing on his hand, than Reichel could have probably played aswell. Again, im not denying that he has an injury, but Chicago is the decison maker in that case- The German GM literally said two days before the cancellation that Reichel wanted to come (which of course, could also be bullshit)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Reichel played every playoff game for Rockford, if you say that Leon is a diva for not going after his playoff series in which he got hacked full swing on his hand, than Reichel could have probably played aswell. Again, im not denying that he has an injury, but Chicago is the decison maker in that case- The German GM literally said two days before the cancellation that Reichel wanted to come (which of course, could also be bullshit)
lol, yes, he tried to tough it out and was horribly ineffective in comparison to his usual self because it was obvious to everyone how injured he was playing. Doubling down on playing hurt was not the solution and wouldn't be particularly helpful for the national team.

Comparing the two is silly. He did WANT to come, he couldn't come because he was injured.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
lol, yes, he tried to tough it out and was horribly ineffective in comparison to his usual self because it was obvious to everyone how injured he was playing. Doubling down on playing hurt was not the solution and wouldn't be particularly helpful for the national team.

Comparing the two is silly. He did WANT to come, he couldn't come because he was injured.
Jo, I agree that my last few sentences may come across that I'm slacking Reichel, which I'm defenitly wasn't meant to. I just used it as an example that some are measuring the cancelations with double standards. Reichel ist injured so he wouldn't be helpful, which i completly agree with by the way. And Draisaitl is bashed for not coming in the middle of the tournament after carrying a two man show in Edmonton for nearly 30m a night, which also takes a physical and mental toll.

Another example ist Stützle, who defenitly wanted to come but was denied by Ottawa. In my opinion the blame for no showing lays primarely with the teams and not the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad