WC: 2023 Germany Roster Talk

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It has nothing to do with the relative merits of hockey or soccer, and everything to do with the fact that Germany making a IIHF WC final is historic while Bayern winning another league title (albeit in unusual circumstances) doesn't get anyone excited.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It has nothing to do with the relative merits of hockey or soccer, and everything to do with the fact that Germany making a IIHF WC final is historic while Bayern winning another league title (albeit in unusual circumstances) doesn't get anyone excited.
btw bild sport facebook still nothing. instead they write about tennis, soccer and formula 1.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Unbelievable. Didn't expect much from this team with all the absences, cancellations and especially the new coach. And then this. What a tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Still nothing on ZDF either. Swimming seems more important for them. Hockey is never gonna grow in Germany, and its the medias fault

Reactions: Edenjung

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
if we look at it objective, then icehockey is a much more fun sport than "soccer"
Played soccer as a young guy and it was so boring, so few shots on goal compared to Hockey. Running back and forth for all that distance on the field and well nothing happens for either team, all that running for mostly nothing, no scoring chances for either team just back n forth lol.

Now in ice hockey we get to see shots on goal, actual high danger scoring chances and you don't have to walk a mile to get off the ice like you do on the soccer field. Soccer would be fun in the USA if we increased the size of the goal area so there is more goals, decreased the size of the field, added power plays and put players in penalty boxes instead of red carding them.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I'm so happy for German hockey, here in north America we don't know how ice hockey has grown in Germany, the DEL is one of the top league in Europe, clubs like Munich, Berlin and Mannheim are top clubs in all of Europe, hockey has grown in Germany and now you have players like Draisaitl, Stuzle, Seider, Peterka, Sturm playing in the NHL, and now on top of that you have Germany playing gold in WHC and let's not forget in winter Olympic in 2018 Germany also played for gold, so German is on the rise in the hockey world.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Still nothing on ZDF either. Swimming seems more important for them. Hockey is never gonna grow in Germany, and its the medias fault
I told them that in October of 2018.
And the ARD basically said that they don't see the interest because of lower ratings and them having not that much time slots.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I told them that in October of 2018.
And the ARD basically said that they don't see the interest because of lower ratings and them having not that much time slots.

They either don't understand or don't care about the impact that their coverage has on the interest of the people.
Obviously, soccer will always draw more viewers, especially now after decades of all the networks feeding the people nothing but soccer.
But even before that soccer was clearly the most popular sport, by basically every measure including TV ratings.

But there was a time when events like the Champions Trophy (Field Hockey), Davis Cup (Tennis) or even certain track & field events (World Championships, ISTAF) were fixtures on TV and generated decent ratings, just not on the level of basically any run of the mill soccer game.

And now the only hope to change this, is to wait for FIFA and UEFA to kill soccer, but as horrible as these institutions are and as much as everybody complains, even they might not be able to pull it off, because it seems in the end, people around the globe (not just in Germany) are willing to swallow all the poison pills when it comes to soccer, and the media coverage (since the mid 90s) helped create this monster.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
They either don't understand or don't care about the impact that their coverage has on the interest of the people.
Obviously, soccer will always draw more viewers, especially now after decades of all the networks feeding the people nothing but soccer.
But even before that soccer was clearly the most popular sport, by basically every measure including TV ratings.

But there was a time when events like the Champions Trophy (Field Hockey), Davis Cup (Tennis) or even certain track & field events (World Championships, ISTAF) were fixtures on TV and generated decent ratings, just not on the level of basically any run of the mill soccer game.

And now the only hope to change this, is to wait for FIFA and UEFA to kill soccer, but as horrible as these institutions are and as much as everybody complains, even they might not be able to pull it off, because it seems in the end, people around the globe (not just in Germany) are willing to swallow all the poison pills when it comes to soccer, and the media coverage (since the mid 90s) helped create this monster.

Excuse me, Germany understands perfectly fine and doesn't care.

Germany is not interested in a sport that costs so much vs. the revenue it brings. It's that simple.

Hockey is simply not economic for Germany's economic model/ current economic ideology.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
ARD/ZDF not covering ice hockey because of TV ratings is nonsense. They don't care about ratings because everybody have to pay for it wether they have high or lower ratings. They also have a huge coverage for women football even if the interest in it is still pretty meh.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
ARD/ZDF not covering ice hockey because of TV ratings is nonsense. They don't care about ratings because everybody have to pay for it wether they have high or lower ratings. They also have a huge coverage for women football even if the interest in it is still pretty meh.
I have an Email from the ARD that proves it:
Sport1 erreichte mit seinen Übertragungen von der Hallen-Hockey-WM 2018 im Schnitt 170.000 Zuschauer, das entsprach einem durchschnittlichen Marktanteil von 0,8%. Die Zuschauerzahlen sind ordentlich für Sport1 (Jahresmarktanteil 2017 0,9%), aber befinden sich natürlich immer noch auf einem recht niedrigen Niveau. Die Übertragungen von den Hockey-Welt- und Europameisterschaften (Feldhockey und auch Eishockey), die ARD und ZDF in der jüngeren Vergangenheit umgesetzt haben, waren zwar deutlich höher eingeschaltet, aber trotzdem in der Regel nicht überragend. Das Finale der Hockey-WM 2011 erreichte live im Ersten 1,09 Mio. Zuschauer, der Marktanteil lag bei 7,0%. Auch wenn der Zuschauererfolg deshalb – abseits von Olympischen Spielen – zurückhaltend ist, halten wir daran fest, auch zukünftig Spiele der deutschen (Feld- und Eis)Hockey-Nationalmannschaften bei Großereignissen live im Ersten zu zeigen, wenn eine Platzierung sowie ein Rechteerwerb möglich sind. Aber dabei handelt es sich auch um die Großereignisse in dieser Sportart, an denen das Zuschauerinteresse wie auch in allen anderen Sportarten immer höher ist, als an den entsprechenden Bundesliga-Wettbewerben.

Daraus abzuleiten, dass die Sportschau regelmäßig auch über Bundesliga-Hockey berichten sollte, ist deshalb schwierig. Die „Sportschau“ am Sonntag um 18.00 Uhr hat 30 Minuten Länge. In dieser Sendung bemühen wir uns, so vielfältig wie möglich über die aktuellen sportlichen Ereignisse des Wochenendes zu berichten. Tatsächlich berichten wir auch in der Sportschau am Sonntag immer mal wieder über die Sportart Hockey, allerdings nur punktuell und nicht so regelmäßig wie von Ihnen gewünscht. Denn natürlich ist die Zeit sehr begrenzt, so dass für Sportarten, bei denen wir wissen, dass das Zuschauerinteresse ein zurückhaltendes ist, kaum oder gar kein Platz bleibt. Denn es gibt so viele Sportereignisse, die wie Bundesliga-Hockey berichtenswert wären, aber die meisten können wir bei einer Anzahl von rund 6 bis 8 Beiträgen pro Sendung nicht integrieren. Allerdings berichten unsere Dritten Programme vom BR bis zum WDR immer wieder über wichtige Geschehnisse in der Hockey-Bundesliga.
You have to translate it yourself though. i don't have that much time right now.

I also asked the ZDF in 2018 and they said that they don't have that much time slots.

But their replies were really fast. Like 45minutes after i send my mails they responded.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
People have the stiffels yet?

Yes, that's a surefire sign that the world is gonna end soon. Hoepfully after the final, of course.
Hell didn't froze when Finland won the Eurovision or made it to the Football Euros.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
I have an Email from the ARD that proves it:
Sport1 erreichte mit seinen Übertragungen von der Hallen-Hockey-WM 2018 im Schnitt 170.000 Zuschauer, das entsprach einem durchschnittlichen Marktanteil von 0,8%. Die Zuschauerzahlen sind ordentlich für Sport1 (Jahresmarktanteil 2017 0,9%), aber befinden sich natürlich immer noch auf einem recht niedrigen Niveau. Die Übertragungen von den Hockey-Welt- und Europameisterschaften (Feldhockey und auch Eishockey), die ARD und ZDF in der jüngeren Vergangenheit umgesetzt haben, waren zwar deutlich höher eingeschaltet, aber trotzdem in der Regel nicht überragend. Das Finale der Hockey-WM 2011 erreichte live im Ersten 1,09 Mio. Zuschauer, der Marktanteil lag bei 7,0%. Auch wenn der Zuschauererfolg deshalb – abseits von Olympischen Spielen – zurückhaltend ist, halten wir daran fest, auch zukünftig Spiele der deutschen (Feld- und Eis)Hockey-Nationalmannschaften bei Großereignissen live im Ersten zu zeigen, wenn eine Platzierung sowie ein Rechteerwerb möglich sind. Aber dabei handelt es sich auch um die Großereignisse in dieser Sportart, an denen das Zuschauerinteresse wie auch in allen anderen Sportarten immer höher ist, als an den entsprechenden Bundesliga-Wettbewerben.

Daraus abzuleiten, dass die Sportschau regelmäßig auch über Bundesliga-Hockey berichten sollte, ist deshalb schwierig. Die „Sportschau“ am Sonntag um 18.00 Uhr hat 30 Minuten Länge. In dieser Sendung bemühen wir uns, so vielfältig wie möglich über die aktuellen sportlichen Ereignisse des Wochenendes zu berichten. Tatsächlich berichten wir auch in der Sportschau am Sonntag immer mal wieder über die Sportart Hockey, allerdings nur punktuell und nicht so regelmäßig wie von Ihnen gewünscht. Denn natürlich ist die Zeit sehr begrenzt, so dass für Sportarten, bei denen wir wissen, dass das Zuschauerinteresse ein zurückhaltendes ist, kaum oder gar kein Platz bleibt. Denn es gibt so viele Sportereignisse, die wie Bundesliga-Hockey berichtenswert wären, aber die meisten können wir bei einer Anzahl von rund 6 bis 8 Beiträgen pro Sendung nicht integrieren. Allerdings berichten unsere Dritten Programme vom BR bis zum WDR immer wieder über wichtige Geschehnisse in der Hockey-Bundesliga.
You have to translate it yourself though. i don't have that much time right now.

I also asked the ZDF in 2018 and they said that they don't have that much time slots.

But their replies were really fast. Like 45minutes after i send my mails they responded.
They tell us they do it because of the ratings but in fact they just don't care. ARD/ZDF are covering the same sports for years now with almost no changes. In winter it's winter sports with focus on ski jumping and biathlon. Then we have handball, Tour de France, some unimportant athletics competitions like ISTAF and german championships, football of course and horse riding. Thats already it I assume.

Olympic core sports world championships athletics, swimming and fencing if at all you can see via stream. The only time they care about other sports is during multi sport events but even then you can see they don't care about it when I have to witness Norbert Galeske commentating ice hockey matches.

Last summer Germany was in the semi final of the basketball european championships at home and Magenta Sport, who had the TV rights, were begging ARD/ZDF to cover it in TV but they didn't care and RTL grabbed the rights and had great ratings. Almost same applied to Germany getting Field Hockey world champions with no coverage of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad